It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should begging be outlawed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   
A new UK crackdown on anti-social behaviour to include making begging a recordable criminal offence is to be unveiled by the government.

Comments anyone?

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 08:29 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 08:29 AM
link   
and there's a flying pig.

arc

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Hmmmm I'm kinda tempted to defend this one. I live in a city where begging is very common - lot of drug addicts and old homeless alcoholics. Some of the beggars can be pretty aggressive towards people on their own too.

However having had a few times in my life where things have reached such a low point that the next step could have been the streets, I do try and maintain a 'there for the grace of god' type attitude towards these people and always try and behave with sympathy and respect even if I have no money on me to give or do not wish to help them support their drug habit.

I do always try to buy a big issue though as I totally agree with the scheme and it's great when your regular vendor for 2 years eventually gets their own place and another job.

Only thing that worries me about criminalising begging is that it makes it even harder for a person to get off the streets and back into normal society. Perhaps it should only be introduced in conjuction with decent rehabilitation and treatment schemes

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Arc, have you seen the online game, Jennifer Government: Nation States?
www.nationstates.net...

I think you'd do well running a country...Your solutions are always well-thought out & insightful.

...BTW, are you married?

arc

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 04:19 PM
link   
woohoo! I get to be a meglamaniac at last!

thats a top link MD

no I'm not married - single, self reliant and well on my way to becoming insane old cat lady

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Say for a moment that it was outlawed, okay. Well when people realize that it is a crime and they are accustomed to it they will be inclined and even programed into not attending to anyone in need, even those who may really need it. Think about how little children that are neglected and abused at home that were kicked out by their parents, could be neglected by soceity as well. Not to mention the neglect they face, they have to deal with that fact that they will KNOW they will be neglected due to a very inhumane and selfish "law". I call it not a law, but a Dogma. To even try to impose such a Dogma, or any Dogma for that matter is just oppressive and cruel. You See??????????

[Edited on 10-3-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 09:46 AM
link   
It (begging) should definitely be outlawed for corrupt british governments run by an ego-maniac, who have run up such a monster bill that it is in danger of overshadowing their wonderful imperious leader!!

new topics

top topics

join