It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

writing my will

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
A co-worker of mine was recently asking me about making out his will.. reflecting more I guess, just thinking out loud..

I thought about it the entire day, and most of the night. Now is as good a time as ever to write it out, right? Young and not really facing the prospect of death in the immediate future, I guess it would make the process less, I dunno, real.

So I'm taking the weekend, heading down stream as far as the water can take me in a day.. gonna get as far away from it all and write out my will. Then I suppose see about making it legal soon.

My work isn't that dangerous, aside from the occasional run in with some hungry wildlife.. driving on a road full of idiots a good bit.. or any other spontaneous event that could end it right then and there.

Any of you written out a will yet? Care to share with me what kind of experience that was for you?

Peace.

EDIT to add:

Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please move. I didn't know where the will section would be..

[edit on 11-6-2010 by broahes]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
When you draft this will, please make certain that you seek permission from the individual (individuals?) that you name as the executor and that they know what they are getting into. Also, make certain that you maintain some degree of order to your life and proper record keeping so that the executor can carry out their responsibility without having to give over their life to the task. This is the greatest legacy that you can leave this person.

My late father drafted a will and named me as his executor. He did not ask if I was willing to do this. He never told me that I had been named. I assumed that my mother was listed as his executor. When he passed away, my mother, who knew that I was executor but never bothered to tell me, took it upon herself for a full month to act as the executor until some institution called her out on this and she finally broke the news to me that it was really my job. The next three years of my life were a living hell in trying to carry out this duty. I told my mother that she can forget about naming me as her executor, and if she already has, to change it to someone else.

When you go about planning this will of yours, give as much consideration as possible to the logistics of the aftermath of your death and the people who will be involved in the practical aspects of tying up the loose ends. You will be most fondly remembered if you leave behind a "clean house" and a will that can be executed as simply as possible. Five years after my father's death I still harbour bitter feelings toward him for saddling me with The Will From Hell.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by GoneGrey

Thanks for your post. I will certainly keep that in mind this weekend.

Your input is something I have actually already been thinking about, and your personal experience has driven that home.

Peace.

CX

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I've written two wills in my life and am about to write a third.

First one was a quickie, i arrived at me new army posting in Crossmaglen S. Armagh, first words out of my boss's mouth were, "You'd better make a will". It took all of three words, "All to brother".

Next one took a bit more time and thought, but mainly centred around making sure the kids and wife were sorted. Also we made sure the will accounted for if both me AND my wife died together, care for the kids, monies to people caring for them etc.

Been divorced a long while now and have a girlfriend of six years so i am now looking to change my will, should have done it a while ago really.

Don't forget to include in your will any life insurances.

Probably a lot more to say but can't think right now......trying to get two reluctant daughters away from the frogs in the pond and into bed! :bnghd:

CX.

[edit on 11/6/10 by CX]

posted on Jul, 10 2019 @ 05:27 AM
link   

top topics

join