It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mountains lurk under Antarctic ice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Mountains lurk under Antarctic ice

www.msnbc.msn.com

The first detailed pictures of one of the planet's last unexplored frontiers — a vast mountain range that rivals the Alps in majesty buried underneath the ice of Antarctica — were revealed by scientists this week.

The rugged peaks soar to more than 8,000 feet (2,400 meters). They are buried beneath solid ice more than a mile (1.6 kilometers) thick, deep within Antarctica's eastern interior.

The existence of this mountain range, called the Gamburtsev Mountains, shocked the Russian scientists who first discovered it more than 50 years ago, and mystery still shrouds the nearly 750-mil
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

" The image illustrates the ice surface (transparent top layer with contour lines) imaged from NASA's ICESat satellite and below that the rugged bedrock topography of the Gamburtsev Subglacial Mountains mapped from airborne geophysical data from the AGAP project showing a surprisingly rugged mountain range with deeply incised valleys beneath the ice sheet. "

This mountain range was discovered over 50 years ago , and now we finally have some pictures of just how vast this mountain range is .

I can't wait to see what the next step is , sure hoping there is a next step , to explore this region .

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
that's awesome!

more frozen lakes - that fascinates me.
there is so much more to discover there, this is only the proverbial tip of the iceberg - pun intended!!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Ah, the Mountains of Madness. This is the mountain range that should not be. Its existence is somewhat of a mystery.

Lets hope they don't find any Shoggoths down there.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The article continues with," What the pictures reveal, Bell said, is spectacular: a dramatic landscape of rocky summits, deep river valleys, and liquid, not frozen, lakes, all hidden beneath the ice."

Wow, that is amazing!
I would like them to send an expedition to that place before sending one to Mars.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Good point you rase, there is still a lot of Earth to investigate !

Perhaps NASA should consider building up exploration experience by sending some probes down there , such probes would prove useful on alien worlds and teach us about our own world in the process

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I'm curious how this will relate to the geography on the piri reis map, and if any new conclusions/attention will come of it...

top topics

join