It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan-based company to close Chinese factories, idle up to 800,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I think China's labor force is around 800,000,000 but 800,000 is a lot of jobs in one fell swoop if this is true.

iPhone manufacturer to shutter China factories

Foxconn idles up to 800,000

By Rik Myslewski in San Francisco • Get more from this author

Posted in Business, 10th June 2010 22:45 GMT

Foxconn – the massive Taiwan-based contract manufacturer whose clients include Apple, Dell, HP, Intel, Sony, and others – will shutter its mainland China operations in a restructuring that could move as many as 800,000 workers into the ranks of the unemployed.

This news comes by way of the Chinese-language news site ON.CC — a Google translation is available here — and couldn't immediately be independently verified.

The announcement came at a shareholders meeting of the Hon Hai Group, Foxconn's parent company. Chairman Terry Gou said that production would be withdrawn from mainland China and shifted to Taiwan, Vietnam, and India. There are currently 800,000 Foxconn workers on the mainland, and if all Foxconn manufacturing there eventually ceases, they would all be out of work.

www.theregister.co.uk...

Original Chinese article:

orientaldaily.on.cc...

Google translation:

translate.google.com...://orientaldaily.on.cc/cnt/china_world/20100609/00178_001.html&prev=_t&rurl= translate.google.com

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
That's a pretty big hit for China's growing middle class. I wonder if this is economic warfare.

China can't really afford to lose jobs. There is a growing tension between the old rural and the new urban going on there right now. Right now China is having trouble keeping satisfied the growing numbers of people who want urban jobs, now they are going to have to deal with people who had them and lost them. Realistically these people won't be willing or able to go back to rural farm jobs.

This one, though huge incident, will just be a blip on Beijing's radar screen but if it happens more and more it will cause them large problems.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Well if you are one who is inclined to believe that the "Elite" control the West and that China is not playing by the rules then this is the perfect way to bring down their economy like the rest of the world and cause major internal conflict in China as the younger generation demands more.

Taiwan has always been heavily influenced by the US with nice weapons deals. So why not pull out 800 000 jobs that probably payed a lot better than the Nike/WalMart sweatshops.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
This is only to do with workers conditions.

They where having utp 20 attempted suicides at the factory per week. People throwing themself of the roof there like lemmings. Things got so bad they recently brought in Buddhist Monks to try to stop the problem.

Only 3 days ago the Foxconn management Increased the pay and boosted working conditions there..... Didnt last did it?

1 supposed suicide was the guy who stole the new iphone prototype from there and leaked it to the world.... Apparently killed himself not long after

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I dont care about those reptilian half breeds.
Who cares, lots of people around the world have no jobs.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Guess doesnt matter to you the large number of suicides by workers at that factory, long hours for slave wages and substandard living quarters with little to no time off work.. Then the shareholders complain when the workers were given a meagre raise.. All so you people could have your ipads.. it most likely saved lives shutting that damn slave camp down..

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by out west
I dont care about those reptilian half breeds.
Who cares, lots of people around the world have no jobs.

Reptillians? Either you have amazing proof of that claim that you're holding back for some unknown reason, or you're compulsively seeking to not have any friends. Of course, if it's true, I'm screwed because I hate the Reptillians, but I LOVE Chinese food...

new topics

top topics

join