It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How about 350,000 barrels or more per day?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Please review the other posts and videos of this HORRIFIC event by simply typing in your Google chat bar, or by visiting your local office looking for additional information that would serve as "Come on Down to Baton Rouge!!!!!!!"

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This is a tragedy for all, but espescially the Southern states and those who rely on Fishing and Prawning to earn a living.
Would a Dunkirk type of effort work?
TEns of thousands of boats of all sizes equipped with pumps and storage containers sucking up the oil ?
The size of the spill is 350,000 say barrels a day?
Could thousands of ships commandeered by obama and even the South Americans (all been paid for their labour) suck up this oil?
Then the OIl could be sold to finance the recovery and reimburse the USA govt for the cost of this mega Flotilla of oil suckers?
Dunkirk required super human organistaion and effort , surely we can do this for the Deepwater spill?

link   
This is a tragedy for all, but espescially the Southern states and those who rely on Fishing and Prawning to earn a living.
Would a Dunkirk type of effort work?
TEns of thousands of boats of all sizes equipped with pumps and storage containers sucking up the oil ?
The size of the spill is 350,000 say barrels a day?
Could thousands of ships commandeered by obama and even the South Americans (all been paid for their labour) suck up this oil?
Then the OIl could be sold to finance the recovery and reimburse the USA govt for the cost of this mega Flotilla of oil suckers?
Dunkirk required super human organistaion and effort , surely we can do this for the Deepwater spill?

link   
Sorry double post
My apologies

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Dr Expired]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
here's something to read:

BP / Gulf Oil Spill - Memo Shows BP's Spill Rate Calculations

blog.skytruth.org...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

but more importantly than the past low-ball numbers on the ammount of oil gushing unabated into the Gulf...

is the very real possibility there are now other 'leaks', 'gas vents', springing up on the immediate area seafloor...

this info would help explain just why the capping of the wellhead was a non-deal...instead they tried a 'top-hat' configuration, because they already reasoned that the well was leaking around the well casing & thats why the very first attempt was a 'dome' to place over the whole BOP structure.

my earlier posts that state there is a real possibility that the broken well has caused fissures in the undersea rock dome that held in the oil that is under pressure,,,, and its not impossible for the whole dome of the Macando reserve to collapse.

if any of this happens then --- without the whole Gulf of Mexico being made into a closed 'Sea'/Lake... then the whole Atl;antic is in danger of becoming poisoned just as the immediate 1/4 of the Gulf is now.

see:

http://(nolink)/2010/06/11/confirmed-gulf-oil-spill-bop-leaning/

http://(nolink)/2010/06/09/gulf-oil-spill-sea-floor-collapse-seabed-leaks-prevent-bp-capping-2/

scary stuff, with the pics of the contaminated area superimposed on places like Europe/GB/ Italy/East coast USA/etc

Oh, and Loam;
heres a PDF of the size of the drill casing & shaft to try to calibrate just what figure to attrbute to a intact well shaft...(the external leaks caused from the twist & bend of the well pipe to the surrounding strata is not figured... thats to be determined from 'all' the surrounding leaks not being disclosed to the public....

www.energy.gov...

i'd say it is pretty substantial if you take into account that the damaged BOP section of the well head is appox 11degress from plumb, you can imagine the damage to the shaft drilled into the rock strata & dome of the Macado reserve....

i think its a cross-our-fingers & pray operation down there, they are at least aware that the collapse of the dome would release all the 10 years of oil that would have been pumped out at 40,000 bpd in just days...
leaving the Gulf a dead zone for a millennium

thanks, for your thread, so i can link to this other information source at:
(nolink)

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
check out an interview with the citizen-reporter that creates the blog linked to in my above post---

LISTEN:
Broadband Mp3 Audio
FintanDunne.com...

its overall over 1:28:00 minutes long...

the important part that is appropos to this fine thread about the volume of the leak/gusher can be heard around minute 19 through minute 30.... pretty much what was reported on TV on the 10th of june...

DAILY SPILL rate

24 Apr -1k bbls
28 Apr -5k bbls
10 May- up 20k bbls
10 jun- up to 40k bbls

several top analysts, report their estimates of damage reflects a rate 100k bbls per day, since its inception

~~~~~~~~~~~

in the latter part of the remaining hour, the two on audio speculate that the well head visible leak/gush is only one of several seafloor fractures or fissures that are now gushing oil into the Gulf waters...

and that is the reason why the volume of oil figures are so chaotic...
and don't reflect the evidence of the destructive surface waters & the deeper water plumes of the carcenogenic oil...
let alone the 10X more toxic millions of gallons of disbursents already injected into the Gulf ecosystem.

several good reference sites/agencies/etc stated by both persons on the audio,

keep a pencil handy

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Check this out..

Air contamination projections over entire eastern US.
www.examiner.com...

Consider the source, but many parts ring true..
www.presstv.ir...

Methane CO2 equivalent greenhouse effect from only the very low earlier estimates! (of course, I realize we have many folks here that don't believe the science of greenhouse gases, but oh well)
www.wendmag.com...

ARGHH!!

[edit on 12-6-2010 by whatsup]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
If the oil is being recreated in the depths of the Earth, the event must be stopped or it could be a long, long time (if ever) before it stops spewing oil. One can hope that the pressure will slow.

If you believe in God, this would be a good time to pray for BP.

I am.
is sure am prayin 4 them....@ go 2 hell

srry but it was a tap in

[edit on 12-6-2010 by icecold7]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

It may not be rumor after all. BP has basically admitted that the casing is cracked, and there may be other problems in the pipe further down. It may be leaking just as much into the fissures as it is leaking out from the head. If they close off the wellhead, then problems will develop underneath the ocean floor. Here's where I found it:

www.washingtonsblog.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The hypocrisy of the US is what astounds me. The Gulf of Mexico is not screwed because of BP but because of the western obsession with oil. The accident was inevitable it just so happened it was on BP's "watch". Who allowed BP to drill there in the first place? (it was neither BP nor Obama!).

Why isn't there an outcry about Nigeria and the pollution caused by oil over there (25% of the oil goes to the US). The average life expectancy in that part of the world is 35!!!!

Environmental organisations don't need to say a word. The consequences that they have been going on about for years is there for all to see. There is nothing more they can add. You ignored them when it could have made a difference.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jeffrybinladen

10-4 on that,
buddy.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaTime

Good question. I hadn't seen this for myself yet. So, them doing a blackout and then this is quite a cliff hanger. Your guess is as good as mine, but there are definitely something that we don't know cooking here.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
pressure of 20/70000 ?bs per sq in a 17 inch pipe? did you say?
wellbore gives a fantastic flow rate........
hell i cant do the math, but think about it....70,000 lb/in /sq !
The flow could easily top the worst case scenario numbers we have gotten so far....including a million bbl / day
The amount of dispersant corexit should also be included in any ecological forcast.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
how about 1 . 3 million barrels a day?
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by icecold7
how about 1 . 3 million barrels a day?
www.youtube.com...

Sounds a bit high to me. I watched some of the BOP footage and had figured it was regurgitating about 4 barrels per second. So in calculating that, I came up with 168 gallons per second. That's 10,080 gallons per minute. 604,800 gallons per hour, or 14,515,200 gallons per day. It calculates to about 345,600 barrels per day. They say that 40% is gasses and ejecta, so even if we divide it by 50% we still come up with 172,800 barrels per day. Usually whatever the govt or their MSM affiliates say, its usually double that.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sliznut

He said they studied the Exxon Valdez spill and he can't figure out why none of the people working on this one seem to know anything about it. They actually cordoned off an area of beach as a control and another they "cleaned" with dispersants and other methods. He said after the results came through they discovered that letting mother nature do her job was the best method. The "clean" beaches were actually more contaminated than the ones they left alone.

I saw an article recently that referenced that. I think it was because they were using high-pressure, very hot water than killed off most the microbes and whatnot that would normally eat the oil.

I suspect most the 'clean-up' is always just 'balloons and ponies' for the public who doesnt grasp that the best way to deal with it in many instances is to let nature take it's course.

Of course, in the Gulf we have tourism and property value for all those 'pristine' beaches.

Scientists estimate 70 per cent of the oil from the Exxon Valdez evaporated or biodegraded, 14 per cent was cleaned up and 13 per cent sank to the sea floor. The last two per cent can still be found by digging under the soil on uninhabited islands in the Sound. On beaches that weren't cleaned the oil disappeared within seven years.

Read more: www.edmontonjournal.com...

[edit on 5-7-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Government Experts reveal 420 MILLION to 840 MILLION gallons of BP oil have flowed into Gulf

LOW END:

420,000,000 gallons / 42 gallons = 10,000,000 barrels.

At 85 days, that equals 117,647 barrels a day.

HIGH END:

840,000,000 gallons / 42 gallons = 20,000,000 barrels.

At 85 days, that equals 235,294 barrels a day.

Getting closer...

This thread wasn't so nuts after all, huh?

[edit on 14-7-2010 by loam]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The rate of flow is determined by the Darcy equation for fluid flow through porous media. The oil is not flowing from a vast cavern, it is flowing through the microscopic channels between sand grains. The equation for flow relates the permeabiltiy of the sandstone with the differential pressure between the reservoir and the lower pressure in the wellbore. The main unknown is the formation permeability. Using reasonable estimates from 30 years of experience the well is flowing around around 90,000 stock tank barrels per day times the Permeability in Darcies. The most core permeability I have ever seen from formations below 10,000' below the surface is around 500 millidarcies. Although this zone may be better I can say unequivocally that the permeability does not exceed 1 darcy. Therefore the most that can be coming from the reservoir is 90,000 stbopd, but I would guess it is less.

I am not trying to down play the magnitude of the disaster only trying to offer physical reality.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
The hypocrisy of the US is what astounds me. The Gulf of Mexico is not screwed because of BP but because of the western obsession with oil. The accident was inevitable it just so happened it was on BP's "watch". Who allowed BP to drill there in the first place? (it was neither BP nor Obama!).

Why isn't there an outcry about Nigeria and the pollution caused by oil over there (25% of the oil goes to the US). The average life expectancy in that part of the world is 35!!!!

Environmental organisations don't need to say a word. The consequences that they have been going on about for years is there for all to see. There is nothing more they can add. You ignored them when it could have made a difference.

I agree and i think we should FIRST look after those environments that we have ravaged and the natives who'l lives we have stolen.

My vote would be for a lot of the money BP is spending, plus substantail donations from other (maybe all) oil companies, to be put into Nigerias problem and then, when we've finished cleaning up there and in the , for the US to be given back to the native americans. Maybe then we'll start to make amends.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: OutKast Searcher
Did some more digging for paint thickness.

Paint Thickness

Seems like in general paint has a thickness of 4 - 8 mil or 0.004 - 0.008 inches.

So using the coverage of paint for your calculations...you are using a thickness of 0.008 when the thickness should be more in the range of 0.00003 - 0.00004.

So...if I recalc the numbers....which I will probably do wrong because I am in a hurry.

The volume of 1 square mile at 0.00003 inches thickness would be (convert 1 square mile into sq. inches to get 4,014,489,600 square inches ( 1 sq mile = 27,878,400 square feet = 4,014,489,600 square inches )

So 4,014,489,600 square inches * 0.00003 inches = 120434.688 cubic inches.

Convert cubic inchest to gallons: 521.362 gal (U.S. Liquid gallons)
Conversion Source

to cover connecticut: 521.362 times 5,544 = 2890430.928 gallons

Convert to barrels: 2890430.928 divided by 42 = 68819.784

So with that number it would be: 2293 barrels a day.

That sounds so off of the number you had....maybe I screwed up somewhere. But that is just on the surface...not taking into account anything under the water. And that is using a 0.00003 thickness...which it wouldn't be even all across the slick.

If I use the larger thickness of 0.00008...it would come out to 6117 barrels of oil a day in that first 30 days.

So if you use that thickness....the governments estimate of 5k barrels a day isn't too off. But that is only looking at what is VISIBLE.

I dont' trust the governments or BPs numbers....but thought I would run the numbers using a more correct thickness.

I checked my numbers using the 0.004 inch thickness of paint...and it comes out to 305865 barrels a day...so i think my calculations are right.

Please...someone tell me if they see an error in my numbers.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

Thanks for sharing all measurement information, i also check all the calculations through this
edit on Dec 27th 2018 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join