It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How about 350,000 barrels or more per day?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Regarding the video.. I like their ships for removing the oil, but I don't think their dome would work.. I think the pressure would just blow it right off.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jeffrybinladen

They found a bigger reserve just last year. The Tiber field. It is said to be the biggest BP has ever found. And it is in the area of this leak. Go figure.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

....well i didn't bring up the term 'extinction class event'

but yes my post on Pg 2, touched on what your talking of... see: www.abovetopsecret.com...

i'm saying that the possibilities of the dome failure by numberous fissures could make the event contaminate the whole of the Atlantic if not contained...

Contained not by skimmers & disbursement agents in an immediate cosmetic clean-up process...

but by walling off the whole Gulf with a huge mile wide levee system arcing from Florida into joining all the Keys then an additional arc of land connecting that arc --- to the island nation of Cuba....

leaving the Gulf itself a cesspool of 50-50 oil-water to exhaust its blowout & possible Oil-dome collapse...

go ahead an create a scenario

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I did my calculations based on the paint thickness and came up with the 1 million bbl/day. Can you calculate what 15,000 sq/mi and 28 days would be using your new numbers. I'm am certain of my 15,000 sq/mi number.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This is the info on Tiber field per wikipedia.

The Tiber oil field is a deepwater offshore oil field in the Gulf of Mexico, discovered by BP in September 2009. Described as a "giant" find,[2] it is estimated to contain 4 to 6 billion barrels (640×10^6 to 950×10^6 m3) of oil in place[3], although BP states it is too early to be sure of the size[2] - a "huge" field is usually considered to contain 250 million barrels (40×10^6 m3). It required the drilling of a 10,685-metre (35,056 ft) deep well under 1,260 metres (4,130 ft) of water,[4] making it one of the deepest wells drilled at the time of discovery[4] (the drilling rig's owner states "the deepest ever".[5])

Also:

BP acquired the OCS lease of Keathley Canyon block 102 reference G25782, NOAA station 42872,[1] on October 22, 2003, in Phase 2 of the Western Gulf of Mexico (WGOM/GOM) Sale 187.[10] Lower Tertiary rock formations are some of the oldest and most technically challenging offshore rock formations currently drilled for oil, dating to between 23—65 million years ago.[11] The plan of exploration was filed in June 2008.[12]

and:

Tiber was initially drilled by Transocean's 5th generation dynamic positioned semi-submersible oil rig Deepwater Horizon,[5] Exploratory drilling commenced around March 2009, slightly delayed from the planned date of September 2008.[12] Much of the deeper gulf reserves are buried under salt accumulations thousands of feet thick, which present a problem for seismic exploration. BP had previously developed exploration techniques to bypass this difficulty.[3]

The field was announced on September 2, 2009,[4] and BP shares rose 3.7% on the news.[13

This is looking very bad. Are there no freaking journalists questioning any of this? Are they just gonna go out with corporate teet in their mouth?

Here is the website with somewhat a location of the Tiber field. Looks about where the deepwater horizon was drilling. I do know it is so deep because it is off the mississippi delta. Sound familiar?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
here is a web page of how many barrels per day most countries use per day

www.nationmaster.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

The only issue you might have with the calcs is thickness & density. Either way... the one thing that bothers me is why is all the interest on # barrels per day and the constant bickering over BP low balling?

JUST PRETEND THERE'S A MILLION BARRELS PER DAY AND DO EVERYTHING HUMANLY POSSIBLE TO STOP IT & CLEAN IT UP!!!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morpheas

I did my calculations based on the paint thickness and came up with the 1 million bbl/day. Can you calculate what 15,000 sq/mi and 28 days would be using your new numbers. I'm am certain of my 15,000 sq/mi number.

Thanks!

Here are some numbers using my method for 15,000 sq/mi and 28 days for different thicknesses.

Low end paint thickness range(0.004): 886,670 barrels a day

High end paint thickness range(0.008): 1,773,341 barrels a day

Low end oil thickness range(0.00003): 6,650 barrels a day

High end oil thickness range(0.00008): 17,733 barrels a day

All the thickness ranges are from sources in my previous posts.

Like I said...I'm not sure if they are right or not...but they are matching closer to the official estimates (not that I think those are right either).

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
There's been a huge amount of oil leaked, but the true catastrophe is the amount of natural gas: over 100 MILLION cubic feet per day, minimum, some 6 BILLION cubic feet so far.

We can see the oil, but the methane, benzine, and other gasses are invisible and so unnoticed by most. Dr. Samantha Joye (University of Georgia) reported finding methane levels 10,000 times normal. Oxygen levels are near dead zone levels in many parts of the Gulf already.

By the time anyone pays serious attention to this it will be far too late to do anything but hold a wake for the Gulf.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mecheng

It is important to know. If the numbers are low.. then there is little motivation to clean up the mess.. the higher the number and the more people realize how bad the situations is, then there is more pressure to clean it up. BP and the US government is not throwing everything that is possible out there. There are many companies and countries that have offered to help and have been turned away.. how stupid is that.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by letscit

I also find it interesting that when looking at the Tiber field on wiki the first reference guide is the Deepwtaer Horizon.

I pray this is a major mistake on my part.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Thank you so much! I didn't realize that the thickness would change the amount that much.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

reply to post by mecheng

It is important to know. If the numbers are low.. then there is little motivation to clean up the mess.. the higher the number and the more people realize how bad the situations is, then there is more pressure to clean it up. BP and the US government is not throwing everything that is possible out there. There are many companies and countries that have offered to help and have been turned away.. how stupid is that.

That was my point too... why understate this? Doesn't make sense (other than $$$).

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunslng44
My two cents based on info the MSM puts out:

news.yahoo.com...

Gov't estimate is as high as 210,00 gallons per day (5,000 barrels)

www.reuters.com...

MSM reports BP currently collecting 756,000 gallons per day (18,000 barrels)

Anticipates collecting 1,176,000 gallons per day (28,000 barrels) by next week,

and states collection at 2,100,000 gallons per day (50,000 barrels) by mid-July.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by gunslng44]

This verifies that BP/US must believe that there is at least 50,000 bbl/day... thanks for the link!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong on this as I'm not 100% sure of the calculations. In an oil plume 20 miles long (105,600 feet) and 5 miles wide (26,400 feet) by 300 feet thick I come up with about 836 billion cubic feet, which converted to gallons is about 625,000,000 (million) gallons in one plume. Does that sound right? I'm kinda drawing a blank on that one

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Power_Semi

They already claimed on msm that during the "topkill" they had to use 12,000psi to offset the wells 9,000 to 11,000psi. An oil expert Mathew Simmons says he thinks they are dealing with a well pushing pressures 40,000 to 50,000 psi. this is out of control if correct.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by letscit

I also found a tabulation chart on drilling pipe claiming the casing pipe could max at 40,000psi, but recommend 29,000psi max.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

reply to post by mecheng

There are many companies and countries that have offered to help and have been turned away.. how stupid is that.

That's pretty stupid alright. To me, that translates to "We don't want help. We want to let it erupt all over the place, but we want to catch as much as we can so we can sell it. Plus we're making money on a perpetual cleanup effort". Is this the 'green jobs' Obama promised?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by letscit
reply to post by letscit

I also found a tabulation chart on drilling pipe claiming the casing pipe could max at 40,000psi, but recommend 29,000psi max.

And on top of that, the pipe comes in 30' sections. That's an awful lot of pipes joined together going that deep. If these pressures are in fact true, then there may already be ruptured pipe further down, which would explain the leaking around the outer wellhead. This whole scenario is starting to make me nervous.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I hope your is math is wrong, but then again you seem to be very good at it. I do understand now why clean up is not their priority. In addition to everything going on there it is very hot and muggy, and then hurricane season on the way. I am so concerned right now I can't think of anything else to say - thank you for the thread and I will return.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join