It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In jail for being in debt

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
MBF

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

Everytime a cop gets an arrest, it benefits their career, everytime a DA gets a conviction, it benefits their careers. The circumstances surrounding this does not matter.

I've spent a couple of days in court the last month because of people stealing from me. First, they didn't want anybody in the courtroom except the person involved in the "crime". I had a summons to be there, but had to wait outside. I have a neighbor that told me to come on inside the courtroom and see how things are done. Now I have been to court before and been on the jury, but I was surprised at what I was seeing. There were cases that had NO business being in court. What business does a school kid getting into a fight have being in court. I'll tell you. This one boy got a year probation and $200 fine. Well that don't sound like much, but when you add all the cost involved, he is going to have to pay about $1,400. The court has become a money machine. It is all about the numbers. I personally know a guy that spent over a year in jail for missing child support payments on a child that the court has TWO DNA tests that prove he is NOT the father.

The more people that go through the court system the more their jobs are secured. The other people that I was involved with got their probation revoked so they went to jail, and that is the way it should be, but they have to fill in all the spare time with these other cases to justify their high paying jobs. Heck, I saw people there on drug charges that got less than the boy in the fight at school. It was both comical and sad at the same time.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxtremelySecure

I hate to agree with you but you hit the nail on the head. The OP is very misleading, because the debt was not the direct cause of arrest, I am a police officer and I have been charged before for missing a court date...no exceptions.

If you read the pages of the article, there are more than one btw.

Here is a snippet:

It's not a crime to owe money, and debtors' prisons were abolished in the United States in the 19th century. But people are routinely being thrown in jail for failing to pay debts. In Minnesota, which has some of the most creditor-friendly laws in the country, the use of arrest warrants against debtors has jumped 60 percent over the past four years, with 845 cases in 2009, a Star Tribune analysis of state court data has found.

Not every warrant results in an arrest, but in Minnesota many debtors spend up to 48 hours in cells with criminals. Consumer attorneys say such arrests are increasing in many states, including Arkansas, Arizona and Washington, driven by a bad economy, high consumer debt and a growing industry that buys bad debts and employs every means available to collect.

Its not a matter of missing court dates, these individuals are never told they have to be there in the first place!

Because of the "no tell" policy of the warrents being issued, those involved had no idea they had to be in court.

Now a good sum of these people are behind bars.

Now this is the issue and the related thread.

Now being an officer of the peace, you should see that this is very unethical and maybe illegal.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
All the more reason to bring back a God ordained concept. A year of Jubilee, or debt forgiveness.

More modernly it is called DEBT REMISSION. If all our debts were to be just written off, we could all start over with a clean record. Only this time around we do not need money lenders offering credit cards. All we ever needed was DEBIT CARDS. I believe that the current global recession is directly as a result of the years in which getting a credit card was as simple as ABC.

[edit on 10/6/2010 by CAELENIUM]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MBF

The judicial system seems to be coming to comeplete disarray, having anything heard in court.

Why would they keep putting someone behind bars for back-pay child-support, if there was two DNA tests that said otherwise? Because they don't care, its there job! Ahh it suck doesn't it.

So much for justice.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

So i must ask the police officer (i do not know many). How much do you use ethics to respond to situations. I get it that a serve notice, is something that is out of your control and so is a arrest warrant because that is issued by the courts. However do you feel compelled to hold only to the law, or, do you take ethics into account in every situation? Would you still arrest someone for a law that you know was in its very essence wrong, by your account?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by secretstoshadow111

So as we have been discussing:

Big INC buys Judicial INC and has the police arrest us for being humans.

Wow it could be whorse than I thought!

BTW the link you supplied didn't want to load, but finally it did, good find!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Also, since they changed the bankruptcy laws in 2005 it is damn near impossible for anyone who is destitute and been out of work to afford the filing. You also have to jump through the right hoops or the judge can deny your filing and your in debt up to your eyeballs with NO way out. Credit card companies have caused this and they know they have you by the short hairs. It is despicable that they screw everyone for the few that abused the old system. Many credit counseling bureaus are trying to get Congress to roll back the 2005 laws so people can again get a fresh start to their lives and NOT become debtors slaves for the rest of their lives!
Zindo

[edit on 6/10/2010 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I have some issues myself with debt collectors, having myself been hounded into bankruptcy by a particular "law firm" which consistently keeps its toes on (or across) the legal line over a debt that wasn't even legally ours. Had we been properly served and been able to show up for the court date, we'd have won. But we weren't, and we didn't find out about the judgment until over a year later - when, on the day after payday and 3 days before Christmas, every penny was taken from our checking and savings accounts by garnishment. Then we appealed, went to court, and were informed that we only had a year to contest the judgment....

On the other hand, after a lengthy unemployment I've begun working for a consumer loan company, and part of what I do is called "collections."

Companies who stay strictly legal have one .. singular ONE .. option. Go to civil court, get a judgment, garnish wages until the debt, legal fees, and court costs are paid. That's it. We can't take property, we can't have you arrested, we can't even tell your employer, spouse, family (or any 3rd party) that you owe us money without your permission. All we can do is get a judgment and garnish wages if you are employed.

We have people on various types of government benefits (SSI, SSD, retirement, etc.) who routinely go and get these small loans from various companies and have no intention of ever making a payment, knowing perfectly well that there is nothing we can do to them because those types of income can not be garnished.

And the latest trick is, go to 2 or 3 small loan companies on the same day and take out enough loans to accumulate $1000 - $1200 dollars. Then use that money to retain an attorney for filing bankruptcy. And .. it's the attorneys who are telling them to do this!!

Some of these people are not well-intentioned debtors who simply lost their jobs or fell on hard times. They are criminals who deliberately STEAL money from the loan companies and creditors. Yes, steal. What else do you call it when you take money from someone and never pay it back?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Also, since they changed the bankruptcy laws in 2005 it is damn near impossible for anyone who is destitute and been out of work to afford the filing.

Such a great catch! I remember the Law being invoked and the scoffing that came along with it.

What a horrible way to treat those looking for a second chance with the bankruptcy.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretstoshadow111

So i must ask the police officer (i do not know many). How much do you use ethics to respond to situations. I get it that a serve notice, is something that is out of your control and so is a arrest warrant because that is issued by the courts. However do you feel compelled to hold only to the law, or, do you take ethics into account in every situation? Would you still arrest someone for a law that you know was in its very essence wrong, by your account?

Our warrants don't give us the specific information anymore where I work, just Capias, Felony, Violent Felony, Misdemeanor, Violent Misdemeanor, and the options permissible or non-permissible.

Secure

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hhott

I have some issues myself with debt collectors, having myself been hounded into bankruptcy by a particular "law firm" which consistently keeps its toes on (or across) the legal line over a debt that wasn't even legally ours. Had we been properly served and been able to show up for the court date, we'd have won.

Frustrating that those in charge don't follow the rules!

But we weren't, and we didn't find out about the judgment until over a year later - when, on the day after payday and 3 days before Christmas, every penny was taken from our checking and savings accounts by garnishment. Then we appealed, went to court, and were informed that we only had a year to contest the judgment....

So what I take from the above is the lack of following due process entitled by the constitution, they after not following procedure then raided your accounts and savings, like what we are seeing in the OP. How unfortunate!

Some of these people are not well-intentioned debtors who simply lost their jobs or fell on hard times. They are criminals who deliberately STEAL money from the loan companies and creditors. Yes, steal. What else do you call it when you take money from someone and never pay it back?

Setting America up for failure like we have seen in this thread and others definitely smells doesn't it!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I was wondering if you saw my reply to you above?

MBF

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability
reply to post by MBF

The judicial system seems to be coming to comeplete disarray, having anything heard in court.

Why would they keep putting someone behind bars for back-pay child-support, if there was two DNA tests that said otherwise? Because they don't care, its there job! Ahh it suck doesn't it.

So much for justice.

The ONLY way the man got out of jail was that we got a new sheriff that knew about the case and knew the man, by chance an organization that came to his jail on another case, he told them about the mans problem and they took his case free of charge to him and got him out. If it hadn't been for a sheriff of this mans caliber, he would still be in jail. I think this was on CNN too.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

This I wouldn't doubt a bit. Back in the days, they were called Debtors Prisons. Often people spent years in one because they could not pay their taxes or never finished paying off their ox-cart. Remember, the IRS had to hire 16,000 more 'field officers' recently.
Here's a link to a little info about Debtors Prisons:

www.schr.org...

Apparently there are so many loopholes in the debtors court that things can go haywire pretty quick. Sad news.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MBF

Originally posted by onequestion

Everytime a cop gets an arrest, it benefits their career, everytime a DA gets a conviction, it benefits their careers. The circumstances surrounding this does not matter.

I've spent a couple of days in court the last month because of people stealing from me. First, they didn't want anybody in the courtroom except the person involved in the "crime". I had a summons to be there, but had to wait outside. I have a neighbor that told me to come on inside the courtroom and see how things are done. Now I have been to court before and been on the jury, but I was surprised at what I was seeing. There were cases that had NO business being in court. What business does a school kid getting into a fight have being in court. I'll tell you. This one boy got a year probation and $200 fine. Well that don't sound like much, but when you add all the cost involved, he is going to have to pay about $1,400. The court has become a money machine. It is all about the numbers. I personally know a guy that spent over a year in jail for missing child support payments on a child that the court has TWO DNA tests that prove he is NOT the father.

The more people that go through the court system the more their jobs are secured. The other people that I was involved with got their probation revoked so they went to jail, and that is the way it should be, but they have to fill in all the spare time with these other cases to justify their high paying jobs. Heck, I saw people there on drug charges that got less than the boy in the fight at school. It was both comical and sad at the same time.

Sorry to hear about your fiasco. Unfortunately it becoming more common. Once one understands the underhanded mechanisms of the ivory tower, it becomes a no brainer to see why they are so tyrannical. The government is a Corporation, and has been since they pulled the Constitution out from under us in the late 1700s. Big difference between the UNITED STATES and 'The United States of America'. Listen to any presidential swearing in ceremony and they swear to uphold the Consitution of the UNITED STATES.
After you figure out that the govt is a foreign corporation, then you can understand that Judges are merely Administrators to the corporate entity. We are financial puppets to foreign and privatized entities.
I wrote an article last October called The United Slaves of America that explains how all that doubletalk and legaleze was actually created to use us soverigns as the debtors to the corporate entity in DC. What we think we have as rights from the Constitution do not apply to us.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MBF

The ONLY way the man got out of jail was that we got a new sheriff that knew about the case and knew the man, by chance an organization that came to his jail on another case, he told them about the mans problem and they took his case free of charge to him and got him out. If it hadn't been for a sheriff of this mans caliber, he would still be in jail. I think this was on CNN too.

If you might be able to u2u me some details about this it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaTime

You know I do remember hearing about the IRS collectors and also the PA advertisements about pay or we are coming to get you on TV.

The sad thing is again, TAXES and MONEY and the Government wanting them is back, like in the 1770's right?

What should we do?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by theability
reply to post by OuttaTime

You know I do remember hearing about the IRS collectors and also the PA advertisements about pay or we are coming to get you on TV.

The sad thing is again, TAXES and MONEY and the Government wanting them is back, like in the 1770's right?

What should we do?

The 16,000 agents was originated out of the ObamaCare health plan that was approved, so they could make sure all of us sheep pay our medical premiums and co-pays. That was bad enough all by itself, but the USA has been bankrupt and insolvent for over a century. Our only saving grace was that the Fed Reserve is a bed partner with the World Bank and the IMF.
Beyond that its all just wild speculation. Depending on what articles you come across, they will use FEMA camps as debtors prisons, they will take ownership of your house or anything of value to pay your debt, along with a slew of 'power and control' practices. If they split the new IRS agent quota up evenly, it will be over 330 more field agents in each state, but that will vary depending on the state and population ratios.
All we can do as a nation is resist the machine. Their option after that is to fence in the country and make the whole USA a prison camp. But that would mean they would actually have to have a functional border patrol

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by hhott

I call them banks and government

Ma and pa or some scum bag petty thief isn't obliterating our country.

Some people use a microscope when they need to use a wide-angle lens.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MBF

You are indeed correct, MBF.

The court system is just a money machine. It is a food chain feeding many.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join