It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maryland cops arrest man for posting video of an overly aggressive traffic stop.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

It seems audio would have really helped in this case. I can understand why it is illegal to have audio without a persons consent/knowledge, but with video I vehemently disagree if it is shot in a public place with no reasonable expectation of privacy. It would seem that if the man was ever aware of sirens, he would have known that the car with the man hopping out was a cop. Hell, I'm gonna watch the video one more time.

edit to add
at your edit to add

Now my mind hurts too.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Raustin]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
gimme a break, the guy knew it was a cop when he hopped out because he knew he was speeding and racing..

The cop wasn't a maniac, he was doing what a cop should do.. he brandished his weapon AT THE GROUND, told him to get off the bike and immediately said he was the police..

If you stop a biker then you don't know if the biker has a gun in his pocket.. when he backed up to possibly run, that's the time when a biker with a gun will shoot you.

Have SOME respect for cops people.. just because he pulled someone over for doing something illegal?

--------

The arresting for the wiretapping though.. THAT is complete bs imo.

b

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Okay, I'll concede this one... I didn't see the end where there was a cruiser behind him with its lights flashing... for all I knew this kid stopped at a traffic light, had a civilian sedan pull out in front of him and lo and behold a guy wearing jeans jumps out at him with a gun drawn.

In addition, I was well aware that this idiot was hauling serious ass on his crotch rocket.

Two things still bother me... first, the audacity of anyone to arrest him for filming anything in a public location and second, the "cop" that jerked out in front of him with no running lights, no uniform and no readily seen i.d. No offense, but around where I live that's a good way to get yourself dead - unless this cat's ego can stop bullets, I might suggest he simply let a uniformed officer make the stop next time.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Legion2112]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

Maybe they are ticked off because this undercover guy is not so undercover any more.
Think about it. The camera will "out" the undercover officers if the videos are placed on Youtube.
What these guys did, both, was stupid. The biker is probably only going to hurt himself speeding, and it was unnecessary "bravado" on the part of the un"masked" undercover ego tripper.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by EyesWideShut

The way he jumped out of the car and whipped out the gun looked pretty darn scary to me. Couple that with the angry expression on his face and I would have been scared for my life if I was that guy.

Sure, the cop didn't do anything "technically" wrong but, it looks to me like he needs to keep his emotions in check when doing his job.

He stopped a speeder, a routine stop for most cops. There was no need for him to draw his weapon in an aggressive manner like that, especially with a backup vehicle right behind him.

Edit to add: You're right, I may have overreacted by stating that the officer was "waving the gun around like a maniac".

That was the impression I got from the video after watching it for the 1st time.

It's easy to sit back behind your computer and say the cop didn't look very aggressive. You weren't the one sitting on that bike when the angry looking man, in plain clothes, jumped from his vehicle brandishing a gun and rushed toward you.

My first, incorrect impression of what went down in that video was probably closer to what the motorcycle driver was feeling when the actual situation occurred. He only had a split second to react to what was happening to him as things went down.

I'm surprised he didn't crap his pants.

[edit on 6/10/10 by FortAnthem]

I disagree. I don't know much about the law, but pulling out a gun *before* identifying himself as a cop has GOT to be wrong, if it is not, then a law ought to exist against it. The mistake may seem kind of minor (forgetting to identify himself right away) but the potential consequences could have been disastrous. All things being equal, and not knowing if he is a cop, if somebody pulls a gun on me and I have any means to defend myself, I am taking them. If it later comes out he was a cop, but failed to identify himself, tough luck, cops also do it all the time, it's called making life and death decisions in the heat of the moment.

-rrr

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings on this.

First off, he should sue for being arrested for the wiretapping charge. I believe the Supreme Court has already ruled about videotaping in public, and that would supercede MD law.

Secondly, as a motorcycle rider, I hope they throw the book at the crotch rocket guy. I am so sick of these guys thinking that because they have a fast bike, they can drive like retards and put mutliple lives in danger, not just their own. In fact as I write this, I just the whine of a crotch rocket flying by on the expressway. Its a sad day when I say this, but maybe they start to need limiting the power/speed of these bikes, because too many kids are acting like idiots.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The guy was riding like real idiot.Pulling wheelies and speeding.If a cop saw me doing that I would expect him to be seriously angry with me.
I got pulled over for speeding on my bike here in the U.K. and got a King size,weapons grade bollocking....not to mention a court appearance,six month ban,£335 fine and three points on my licence.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I was always told that as long as one of the parties being recorded knew they were being recorded it was perfactly legal to record, now the law never states which party just so long as one of the parties involved know. Thats here in NY so the law might be different elsewhere, but that was told to me by a lawyer a couple of years ago.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

I have been a Police Officer for 16 years now, and I see a couple of problems with this. Number 1 if you are working in an undercover capacity in a UCV (civilian car) rule number 1 is dont burn the car (let everyone know its a Police car ) because you just ruined the undercover factor. #2 just viewing the first video it looks like some crazy person jumping out of a car with a gun, and anyone can say they are the Police. Driving the motorcycle like a maniac - Yes - Worthy of taking action Off-duty, or while your supposed to be undercover - NO, Just my opinion, especially when there was a fully marked unit there to take care of things.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I haven't watched the video but thought I would comment on video/audio recording.

To the best of my knowledge (from personal experience) video/audio taping is not illegal in a public setting. Anywhere you would expect a "reasonable expectation of privacy" the recording is illegal. I can't recall if that expectation includes audio and video. Different states are bound to have different laws, and certain recordings while not illegal are not legally admissable evidence in a criminal case.

On the side of a public road you have no expectation of privacy, also most in person conversations are not considered private, especially ones that can be over heard without the aid of any device.

I'm not familiar with other types of audio recording (telephones, private recorders, etc..).

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The motorcyclist was recklessly speeding, dangerously, it's apparent in the second posted video.

Dollars to donuts motorcyclist with "helmet cam" was one of those idiots you see preforming stunts to upload on YouTube. What, do you think he was riding around with that "helmet cam" on to track down this cop? He was going to film himself doing something insane and dangerous and instead he pissed off the wrong state trooper.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2112
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Yeah? Well I'm still looking for the part where the officer was identifiable as a LEO and presented his i.d.

Unless I missed something...

It's very simple. You pull ahead of me at a traffic light, step out of your Altima wearing jeans and pull out a gun as you walk towards me, you better pray I don't have one either...

Yeah especially if I'm filming it and can show there was no proper identification given and no way to epect that you are a LEO properly executing your duties given to you by my authority.

I'd have shot someone dead who did that to me, although I'm talking through my ass because I can't see the video from work...

Jaden

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
yes, it's getting pretty bad here in the good ole USA now. I don't see anything wrong with what the guy put on you tube. but, just to be on the safe side, from now on I am going to call the police Dept, before I go to the bathroom to take a piss because they may consider my thing as a concealed weapon (snub nosed revolver)..lol....and fire on me....

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

I don't see anything overly aggressive on the part of the officer , I'm still looking for the part where he was "waving around the gun like a maniac" as you put it. From the video I saw , the officer unholstered his weapon , brought it to the ready for a second and then left it pointed at the ground.

When people sensationalize or exaggerate , it really takes away from their credibility as a poster. Before I watched the video , I expected the Officer to be flagging everyone based on your description of the video.

As far as the Cops arresting him for the video , that seems like a pretty obvious dig and it was kinda petty in my opinion.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by EyesWideShut]

No need for it to be out of holster. He was in an unmarked car. he had no uniform. To me it looked like a hijacking, the way he pulled right along side to block the cyclist in. Had I had a gun in that situation, and I was on that bike...I dunno man. That cop is an idiot.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bspiracy
gimme a break, the guy knew it was a cop when he hopped out because he knew he was speeding and racing..

The cop wasn't a maniac, he was doing what a cop should do.. he brandished his weapon AT THE GROUND, told him to get off the bike and immediately said he was the police..

If you stop a biker then you don't know if the biker has a gun in his pocket.. when he backed up to possibly run, that's the time when a biker with a gun will shoot you.

Have SOME respect for cops people.. just because he pulled someone over for doing something illegal?

--------

b

I'm sorry, it is never justified for a cop to pull out and brandish his side arm because of speeding....or any traffic stop that there is not probable cause to believe that there is an imminent danger to oneself or the public.

Jaden

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm born, raised, and live in Maryland. I tell you the cops here are either complete fools, or the nicest guys you met. I determine that's about everywhere you go though. Either way, that officer was way out of line.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bspiracy

--------

b

are you kidding me? a biker pulling out a gun wearing motorcycle gloves and while straddling a bike? what movie did you get that from? He was backing up because a random looking guy aggressively started running towards him.

Whether the guy knew or didn't know he was getting pulled over is irrelevant, if a cop is required to identify him/herself first, then they have to, they should not assume people "know" they are cops under any circumstances, especially when they are not in uniform.

The cop did everything right, but in the wrong order. He should have identified himself first.

But even if he didn't suing the guy for video taping it is ridiculous. as they say, if the cop did not do anything wrong, then he should not be afraid to be on video.

-rrr

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOMALY502

Presently, my nephew is APD (Austin), and a good kid. He would shake his head in disgust at this cop.
I ride a bike, and I know a LOT of guys that have a handgun handy. This cop was risking an escalation that could have resulted in deaths. My feeling is he knew what he was really dealing with, and just trying to scare the kid.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I also don't agree with the wire tapping law and video charge. That is extreme IMO. But this guy was popping wheelies, speeding and cutting through lanes like the road is for him and him only. You want to go fast? Go to the track or find an area with a closed road. I hate guys that ride like this on populated streets. If he wants to ride like that, in way that may kill him or others then he shouldn't be on the street at all. As far as over aggressiveness, the cop did "a show of force" and then stated who he was. If it were the other way around, the biker (as has been the case in the past) might have sped off possibly creating a much worse incident. You know there is a reason why motorcycle insurance is so high, and there are so many fatalities. Idiots like this.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Upon seeing the 30 second version of the tape I was about to chastise everybody for not giving the cop the benefit of the doubt. I could see how an officer would feel threatened if a third party was closely watching a traffic stop.

Upon viewing the longer clip, it seems the guy on the motorcycle did no wrong. He was just going down the road and came to a stop when two cars in his lane were standing still. The cop's car inexplicably pulls up out of nowhere and the cop comes out waving his gun.

What is interesting is that none of the two cars that came to a stop appeared to be police cars. Maybe I have been on ATS too long, but this might not have been a routine traffic stop. Maybe the car that was pulled over was not the average Joe who got caught going a few clicks above the speed limit.

1. The guy was going really really fast! You must have missed that part.
2. Some states, if you go a certain amount over the speed limit, I believe it is a Felony Stop = GUNS DRAWN.
3. The guy was backing away, which in experience to a PO, means hes gonna bolt.
4. You have no idea how long the Uniformed Cop was chasing him. But a clue is, towards the end, you see him keep looking in his mirrors over and over.
5. It looked like The Nonuniform PO, pulled his gun only when the guy looked like he was gonna bolt, backed away. I would have done the same thing in that position.
6. The guy WAS doing wrong. He could have killed several people with his little stunt on the bike. If he was lucky, he would only kill himself.
7. The motorcycle guy was in the wrong. He broke the law and depending on the statutes of the State a minor or a big one.
8. The wiretap thing is bogus.

The article was exaggerated and out of scope.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join