It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maryland cops arrest man for posting video of an overly aggressive traffic stop.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Sometimes the only protection a man has from the abuse of police power is the video camera. How many times have we seen a rogue police officer brought to justice because someone caught him on tape in an act of brutality or dishonesty?

Dishonest police officers have to constantly look over their shoulders to make sure no-one is taping their criminal behavior.

The police in Maryland have had enough with the public holding them accountable for their actions and they have decided to strike back. Using a wiretapping law, they have brought charges against a man who had the temerity to post a video of a cop acting badly.

Film a cop in Maryland and get arrested

An individual in the US state of Maryland is facing felony charges for filming and posting online a video of an aggressive unmarked police officer pulling him over for speeding.

Anthony Garber was pulled over while on his motorcycle by a non-uniformed police officer driving an unmarked car. The officer got out of his car, pulled his gun and aggressively approached Garber before identifying himself as state police. Garber recorded the incident with a camera that was attached to the top of his motorcycle helmet and posted it on YouTube.

Days after posting the video online the police showed up at Garber ‘s home and arrested him for violating the state’s wiretapping laws. It is illegal in Maryland to video tape anyone without their consent.

“It’s obviously an attempt by the police to strong arm him, to strong arm this guy you know. He did nothing wrong. He did nothing criminal. All he did was expose a cop, an overly aggressive cop, and he embarrassed a cop and now they’re cricking down on him. It’s really out of line on the police department for pursuing this charge against him because the wiretapping law is meant for telephone conversations, not for being videotaped in public when you have no expectation for privacy,” said blogger Carlos Miller of Photography Is Not A Crime.

Read more: RT

We have similar wiretapping laws here in Pa. I hope this is not the beginning of an effort by law enforcement to suppress the use of the video camera to keep them accountable.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

If I was on that jury, the motorcyclist would not lose...and if he countersued the cops for violating his rights with this wrongful charge, and I was on that jury, the motorcyclist would win...
"Just give me a jury!"...hee-hee-hee.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I found the video of the traffic stop. The cop jumps out of his car waving around the gun like a maniac. I'm surprised the guy didn't try to run for his life.

Here's a more complete vid of him driving down the road and more of the traffic stop (with no sound though).

Apparently he got a uniformed officer in a patrol car to assist with the stop. There was no need to pull a gun in that situation IMO.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nine-eyed-eel

If I was on that jury, the motorcyclist would not lose...and if he countersued the cops for violating his rights with this wrongful charge, and I was on that jury, the motorcyclist would win...
"Just give me a jury!"...hee-hee-hee.

The problem is the poor guy is still going to have to spend an epic amount defending himself against this unconstitutional tyrannical law.

While he might win (I hope he does), he still loses.

The law is an outrage.

I should be able to video tape whoever I want in a public area, ESPECIALLY a law enforcement officer, with or without their consent.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
he should have know better than filming a god-incarnate....

geez.. we are creating a whole new gestapo

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I don't see anything overly aggressive on the part of the officer , I'm still looking for the part where he was "waving around the gun like a maniac" as you put it. From the video I saw , the officer unholstered his weapon , brought it to the ready for a second and then left it pointed at the ground.

When people sensationalize or exaggerate , it really takes away from their credibility as a poster. Before I watched the video , I expected the Officer to be flagging everyone based on your description of the video.

As far as the Cops arresting him for the video , that seems like a pretty obvious dig and it was kinda petty in my opinion.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by EyesWideShut]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

The way he jumped out of the car and whipped out the gun looked pretty darn scary to me. Couple that with the angry expression on his face and I would have been scared for my life if I was that guy.

Sure, the cop didn't do anything "technically" wrong but, it looks to me like he needs to keep his emotions in check when doing his job.

He stopped a speeder, a routine stop for most cops. There was no need for him to draw his weapon in an aggressive manner like that, especially with a backup vehicle right behind him.

Edit to add: You're right, I may have overreacted by stating that the officer was "waving the gun around like a maniac".

That was the impression I got from the video after watching it for the 1st time.

It's easy to sit back behind your computer and say the cop didn't look very aggressive. You weren't the one sitting on that bike when the angry looking man, in plain clothes, jumped from his vehicle brandishing a gun and rushed toward you.

My first, incorrect impression of what went down in that video was probably closer to what the motorcycle driver was feeling when the actual situation occurred. He only had a split second to react to what was happening to him as things went down.

I'm surprised he didn't crap his pants.

[edit on 6/10/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
i had thought there was no law against filming people in public places or settings, but i may have been mistaken. can anyone else shed some light on this?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Upon seeing the 30 second version of the tape I was about to chastise everybody for not giving the cop the benefit of the doubt. I could see how an officer would feel threatened if a third party was closely watching a traffic stop.

Upon viewing the longer clip, it seems the guy on the motorcycle did no wrong. He was just going down the road and came to a stop when two cars in his lane were standing still. The cop's car inexplicably pulls up out of nowhere and the cop comes out waving his gun.

What is interesting is that none of the two cars that came to a stop appeared to be police cars. Maybe I have been on ATS too long, but this might not have been a routine traffic stop. Maybe the car that was pulled over was not the average Joe who got caught going a few clicks above the speed limit.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ozzy Mandias
i had thought there was no law against filming people in public places or settings, but i may have been mistaken. can anyone else shed some light on this?

The laws are different from state to state.

Here in Pa, under our wiretapping law,it is illegal to record some-one's voice without their permission. This means you can videotape someone so long as you don't record any sound.

Pretty stupid law IMO.

The law was intended to prevent illegal wiretapping over the phone without a proper warrent. The laws were probably written before handheld video cameras became such a household item. The police and the DAs have stretched the meaning of the laws to suit their purposes.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Why doesn't he counter sue them for filming him without his consent? I saw a state police car pull up behind him. I'm sure there is a dashboard cam on the car.

Hypocrites.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
What about all the surveillance cams at every 7-11, Circle K, Wal Mart, public buildings? We have not given our consent to be filmed by them.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Come to think of it. Now that MD has set a precedent, I think I'm going to sue some 7-11's to see how this law really applies. What's good for the goose right?

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Nutter]

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Yeah? Well I'm still looking for the part where the officer was identifiable as a LEO and presented his i.d.

Unless I missed something...

It's very simple. You pull ahead of me at a traffic light, step out of your Altima wearing jeans and pull out a gun as you walk towards me, you better pray I don't have one either...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

Surely that look of smug self-importance is enough to differentiate that LEO from some gun-wielding maniac in the midst of a fit of road rage?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I do not understand how any law enforcement outfit in the U.S.A. can defend prosecuting anyone for showing what they do in public. This is sick.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I suppose it will come as no surprise that I have a few thoughts on this.

So I watched the short vid first, and what went through my mind IMMEDIATELY was that when the cop got out of the car, the guy on the bike started backing up with a QUICKNESS. Yeah, I thought, alright, guy just hopped out of a car while the innocent biker was slowing down, he was probably frightened. I didn't think the cop was overly aggressive, he had no idea what the guy on the bike was going to do, and someone backing away from you during a traffic stop is frightening. Basically I think they scared the crap out of each other.

Then I watched THE LONG VIDEO. Do you realize how fast the guy on the bike was going? I would say he was EASILY doing 85. Pay attention to the speed of the other cars and how fast the white lines are rushing by. Also note that he was racing that POS with bondo/primer all over the passenger side. At the point where he exits the highway, he is still hauling a MASSIVE amount of ass. He OBVIOUSLY PASSED THE COP AT THIS SPEED. He OBVIOUSLY KNEW COPS WERE BEHIND HIM BECAUSE HE LOOKED BACK.

He didn't seem to be slowing down until he came upon the two cars in front of him. To me it looked like he was about to run. When the cop got out, he started backing up. If I had been the cop, I would have thought he was fleeing. I do not think this biker was innocent at all. Note that the article only states he was pulled over for speeding. It does not say how fast he was going.

Anyway, all that aside, I do find it ridiculous that he was charged with filming a police officer. He was obviously just filming his little joyride when the cop caught him in the act. I think the cops were feeling vindictive, I agree with that 100% and I also agree that the law is BS and definitely should not have applied in this case.

Flame away, but watch the video one more time for me, think about how fast he was going when he passed that cop, and keep in mind it looks like the ONLY reason he stopped was because he had no where else to go. My fingers hurt.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint

Upon viewing the longer clip, it seems the guy on the motorcycle did no wrong. He was just going down the road and came to a stop when two cars in his lane were standing still. The cop's car inexplicably pulls up out of nowhere and the cop comes out waving his gun.

What is interesting is that none of the two cars that came to a stop appeared to be police cars. Maybe I have been on ATS too long, but this might not have been a routine traffic stop. Maybe the car that was pulled over was not the average Joe who got caught going a few clicks above the speed limit.

Actually, you can see the motorcycle flying down the road, passing several cars on the right. By the way the stripes are zipping past him you can tell he's going REALLY fast.

It appeares the motorcycle driver looks back over his shoulder just before stopping, probably in responce to hearing the marked unit trying to pull him over. At the very end of the vid, you can see that he stopped for a marked police unit which is parked behind him.

The cop in the unmarked car still looks like a nut with roadrage when he jumps out of the car. With the marked unit making the stop, I still can't see a justification for the way he acted.

He was probably mad that the motorcycle wouldn't stop for him in his unmarked car with him wearing no uniform.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Fort Anthem I always like your posts and think you are very level headed. As I recall, you have enraged me a few times with your wit. This should be interesting.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin
He didn't seem to be slowing down until he came upon the two cars in front of him. To me it looked like he was about to run. When the cop got out, he started backing up. If I had been the cop, I would have thought he was fleeing. I do not think this biker was innocent at all. Note that the article only states he was pulled over for speeding. It does not say how fast he was going.

It kinda looked to me like he pulled over when the marked car put on it's sirens. With the sound turned off (in compliance with the stupid law), I guess we'll never know.

The way I saw it, the bike statred backing up when the nut jumped out of the car with his gun. It would be a person's natural reaction to back away from a violent person approaching them. He stops backing away when the guy identifies himself as a cop.

Basically I think they scared the crap out of each other.

You may be right on that point.

Edit to add:

OOOPS!

I think I derailed my own thread by posting that vid.

[edit on 6/10/10 by FortAnthem]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join