It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The strange tale of the murder of a Turkish Bishop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
On the 3rd of June, Luigi Padovese, the apostolic vicar in Anatolia and head of the Catholic Church in Turkey was brutally murdered by his driver. He was stabbed repeatedly but managed to make it outside of his home to call for help before being killed by Murat Altun. Padovese had been stabbed 8 times in the heart and had his head almost severed in the attack. After committing the murder, Altun climbed on the roof of the bishop’s house and shouted: "I killed the great Satan! Allah Akbar! ".

Initial police reports concluded that there was no political motivation for the killing:

Roman Catholic bishop stabbed to death in Turkey
ANKARA, Turkey – A Roman Catholic bishop was stabbed to death in southern Turkey on Thursday, a day before he was scheduled to leave for Cyprus to meet with the pope, officials and reports said.

Luigi Padovese, 63, the apostolic vicar in Anatolia, was attacked outside his home in the Mediterranean port of Iskenderun. The killing was not believed to be politically motivated.

AP

Altun, who was initially described as insane, claimed that the murder was the result of “divine revelation” and he later changed his story claiming that the bishop was a homosexual who had abused him.

Evidence for Altun’s history of mental illness was proven to be lacking, with local Church officials doubting that Altun could have gone insane over the course of one day.

Funeral of Mgr. Padovese. Murderer, "I killed the great Satan!"

As the days pass, new details emerge on the story of murder and the alleged "insanity" of the assassin.

The doctors who performed the autopsy reveal that Mgr. Padovese had knife wounds all over his body, but especially in the heart (at least 8). His head was almost completely detached from his neck, attached to his body by only the skin of the back of the neck.

Witnesses said they heard the bishop cry out for help. But more importantly, is that they heard screams of Murat immediately after the murder. According to these sources, he climbed on the roof of the house shouted: "I killed the great Satan! Allah Akbar! ".

This call coincides perfectly with the idea of beheading, making sense that it is like a ritual sacrifice against evil. This correlates with the murders of ultranationalist groups and Islamic fundamentalists who apparently want to eliminate Christians from Turkey.

The alleged insanity of the 26 year old who for more than four years lived next to the bishop is now indefensible. Ercan Eris, the church's lawyer, argues that the murderer can not become depressed in a day and that there is no medical report which declares that. Now it is certain that the young man is sane. There is no medical certificate attesting to his mental disability. Recently he said he was depressed, but now it is thought that this was all a strategy to defend himself later.

Asian News

Many are coming to suspect that the murder may have been politically motivated, believing the ritualistic murder was intended to create a rift between Turkey and Europe in order to prevent Turkey from joining Europe.

Archbishop of Smyrna: The martyrdom of bishop Padovese we want the truth and not "pious lies"

I believe that with this murder, which has an explicitly religious, Islamic element, we are faced with something that goes beyond the government it points towards nostalgic, perhaps anarchist groups who want to destabilize the government.

The very modalities of the murder aim to manipulate public opinion. After having killed the bishop, the young Murat Altun shouted "I killed the great Satan. Allah Akbar. " But this is really strange. Murat had never before said those violent sentences. I knew him for at least 10 years. I was the one who took him on to work for the Church. He had never expressed himself in this way. He was not a practicing Muslim. He was a young man who had a Christian culture, without being Christian. Neither he nor his father were our enemy. In my opinion, were a being used like a tool in the hands of others.

The use of Islamic ritual serves to divert attention: it is like suggesting that the track is religious and not political. Moreover, by pushing the religious track, that of a conflict between Islam and Christianity, public opinion can be inflamed in an area where we are weak and believed we have no strength. What’s more, Prime Minister Erdogan’s strongest supporters are not to be found among radical Islam but in the moderates And I fear that now he no longer has even their support.

Murat Altun also claimed the bishop was homosexual and said he was "depressed and unstable"

The murderer has also "confessed" sexual motives, saying that Mgr. Padovese paid him for "services". But this is a track that only aims to confuse. And I do not believe even the usual hastily and pious lie that Murat was mentally ill and addicted. He was neither the one nor the other. Days before he tried to pass himself off as crazy, but doctors have told him not to show up any more because he is sane.

I suppose he had good lawyers as advisers to prepare and ensure that these alibis, if convicted, means he could get away with just a sentence of a few years.

Asia News

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It was a Turkish message to the Pope. When evil comes in a Turkish face, you would wish for Nazis instead. Just my ancient opinion... with not a little experience.

new topics

join