It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient 5,500 year old shoe found in Armenian Cave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

www.nytimes.com

The site doesn't allow copy paste of this news information, however a leather shoe was found which was tanned with plant oils and has shoe strings that is 5,500 years old
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This is pretty neat. The more we find from this time period the more obvious it is that as humans, we figure things out. We had a civilization at this time which worked for the times....

Its things like this that really make me proud to be a human... No matter all the other woes we bring.... We can survive!

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I LOVE this

Doesn't modern history tell us that during this period people were only supposed to have been just playing with fire and creating a wheel

I have really bought into that, I think at the very maximum the first time someone saw a rock or a log roll, if it even took that long, they would've thought "gee round objects roll, let's use round objects to move things". Duh.

Apparently if they had shoes, they were more intelligent that what "we" give them credit.

What I really wonder is what happened to dumb humanity down? There are tons of examples of our ancestors creating and using "modern" inventions, tools for easier living, etc. and not the backwards peoples that they are portrayed to be.

What's more is that many/most people seem to have lived lives that were very little different from our own and yet did it with means that did not harm or the planet. Now, we are trying to find ways to preserve the environment and not overfill it with disposable waste.

I just wonder what happened that was so destructive as to essentially cause humanity to start over?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

www.nytimes.com

The site doesn't allow copy paste of this news information
Wow it's in amazing condition and looks comfortable.

They needed better eyelet technology though, those eyelets just weren't cutting it.

You mean that site will complain even if you follow the ATS T&C and not copy and paste any more than 15% of the article? I thought that copying less than 15% was considered "fair use"?

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
On Topic: Interesting article. Seems like more and more often holes are being punched in just how technologically advanced man has been through his early history.

Slightly off topic: I believe Firefox will get around that copy/paste nonsense.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
I LOVE this

Doesn't modern history tell us that during this period people were only supposed to have been just playing with fire and creating a wheel

No.

If they were smart enough to make bronze what's surprising in making shoes?

And there's no problem in copying text from that site (or pasting it in this site, if according to the rules
), so here it is a quote from the source provided in the OP.

Perfectly preserved under layers of sheep dung (who needs cedar closets?), the shoe, made of cowhide and tanned with oil from a plant or vegetable, is about 5,500 years old, older than Stonehenge and the Egyptian pyramids, scientists say. Leather laces crisscross through numerous leather eyelets, and it was worn on the right foot; there is no word on the left shoe.

While the shoe more closely resembles an L. L.Bean-type soft-soled walking shoe than anything by Jimmy Choo, “these were probably quite expensive shoes, made of leather, very high quality,” said one of the lead scientists, Gregory Areshian, of the Cotsen Institute of Archaeology at the University of California, Los Angeles.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if the scientists trace it back to an ancient Chinese sweat shop.

:rim shot:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Slightly off topic: I believe Firefox will get around that copy/paste nonsense.

Well the OP said "The site " wouldn't allow it so I thought that meant the site. But perhaps it was just the browser. There's an add-on for Firefox called "_javascript options" and if you uncheck the "context menus" box it prevents _javascript from disabling context menus, such as the one used to copy and paste, so with that add-on I have yet to find something I can't copy. Even without that add-on I only found one site I had problems with copying from, using firefox.

Originally posted by ArMaP
And there's no problem in copying text from that site (or pasting it in this site, if according to the rules
), so here it is a quote from the source provided in the OP.

Thanks for pasting the article summary here. Apparently Opera also has no problem with copy/paste from that site, since I recall you like Opera.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Internet Explorer 8 doesn't have any problem either, I tried both.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Its things like this that really make me proud to be a human... No matter all the other woes we bring.... We can survive!

Yeah but it's really just 5.5k years... We only just started living, let alone surviving. Sharks for example live for 400 million years take or give 20 mill lol. Now THEY can survive
. We? Earth's spoiled kids.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
...Apparently, the guy in the cave mending it says it'll be ready by Thursday.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
WTF? I can't get a shoestring to last for 2 years and that one has been intact for 5000? Man talk about two steps forward and one step back!

new topics

top topics

join