It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasty Solar Storms Ahead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone else posted but here it goes:

The sun is about to get a lot more active, which could have ill effects on Earth. So to prepare, top sun scientists met Tuesday to discuss the best ways to protect Earth's satellites and other vital systems from the coming solar storms.

Solar storms occur when sunspots on our star erupt and spew out flumes of charged particles that can damage power systems. The sun's activity typically follows an 11-year cycle, and it looks to be coming out of a slump and gearing up for an active period.

"The sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years we expect to see much higher levels of solar activity," said Richard Fisher, head of NASA's Heliophysics Division. "At the same time, our technological society has developed an unprecedented sensitivity to solar storms. The intersection of these two issues is what we're getting together to discuss."

Fisher and other experts met at the Space Weather Enterprise Forum, which took place in Washington, D.C., at the National Press Club.

Bad news for gizmos

People of the 21st century rely on high-tech systems for the basics of daily life. But smart power grids, GPS navigation, air travel, financial services and emergency radio communications can all be knocked out by intense solar activity.

A major solar storm could cause twenty times more economic damage than Hurricane Katrina, warned the National Academy of Sciences in a 2008 report, "Severe Space Weather Events—Societal and Economic Impacts." [Photos: Sun storms.]

Luckily, much of the damage can be mitigated if managers know a storm is coming. That's why better understanding of solar weather, and the ability to give advance warning, is especially important.

Putting satellites in 'safe mode' and disconnecting transformers can protect electronics from damaging electrical surges.

"Space weather forecasting is still in its infancy, but we're making rapid progress," said Thomas Bogdan, director of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)'s Space Weather Prediction Center in Boulder, Colo.

Eyes on the sun

NASA and NOAA work together to manage a fleet of satellites that monitor the sun and help to predict its changes.

A pair of spacecraft called STEREO (Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory) is stationed on opposite sides of the sun, offering a combined view of 90 percent of the solar surface. In addition, SDO (the Solar Dynamics Observatory), which just launched in February 2010, is able to photograph solar active regions with unprecedented spectral, temporal and spatial resolution. Also, an old satellite called the Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE), which launched in 1997, is still chugging along monitoring winds coming off the sun. And there are dozens more dedicated to solar science.

"I believe we're on the threshold of a new era in which space weather can be as influential in our daily lives as ordinary terrestrial weather." Fisher said. "We take this very seriously indeed."

source: news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
yeah seen this on Yahoo a few min ago. the last huge solar storm that hit the USA took out all the teligragh line in the 1800. sorry for the spelling. if it can do that it can take out all electronics as we know them. hope you have an old car like me that doesent use a computer chip.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm going to pretend I didn't read this so I don't obsess about it all day....

Time to start stocking up again!

Wait I was suppose to be doing that already right?

Anywho, S&F for the find.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Crossfate]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
yeah seen this on Yahoo a few min ago. the last huge solar storm that hit the USA took out all the teligragh line in the 1800. sorry for the spelling. if it can do that it can take out all electronics as we know them. hope you have an old car like me that doesent use a computer chip.

Think I have herd this before, might have been the Jessy Venture 2012 show. The timing lines up as expected and to see this on Yahoo a MSM this is pretty big.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crossfate
reply to post by camaro68ss

I'm going to pretend I didn't read this so I don't obsess about it all day....

Time to start stocking up again!

Wait I was suppose to be doing that already right?

Anywho, S&F for the find.

hehe, yea its better to dig in after dinner. Makes for better dreams at least.

Thanks for the S&F! New here and was just glad I found something worth posting that was not allready posted!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the info, yes it is going to be a bad time for us Terrans in the coming years.

For some like myself who work outside, you may become sensitive to short bursts where the sun and our inner atmosphere radiate energy bursts.

The other day while weeding gardens I noticed the whole yard pass through a brief period where it was as if a light bulb was about to go out, you know how it almost makes a sound and gets real bright?

I told everyone to get in, but felt like it was already too late...

It only lasted a few seconds, but was like being fried.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I would not worry to much look at the year 2000 on these movies flares and cme sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov... Were still here.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by remymartin]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Sunday there was a massive solar storm and i was out side on the boat. I got Fried. had 15spf block on and i never burn with that stuff on. was out side for only four hours and i still have the worst sun burn in my life and its thursday. i blame it on the solar flare on sunday. to quote my Favorite quote in the movie alians, "GAMES OVER MAN!!"

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by remymartin
I would not worry to much look at the year 2000 on these movies flares and cme sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov... Were still here.

I hope your right but from my understanding this period is expected to me at the level in the 1800's and we have never experianced anything at this level after the industrial/tech age.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I have been aware of this for some time, funny that and increase in solar activity and many environmentalist beat on about all global warming being our fault when at least part must be down the sun and its cycle.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by colec156
I have been aware of this for some time, funny that and increase in solar activity and many environmentalist beat on about all global warming being our fault when at least part must be down the sun and its cycle.

Yea this entire thing gives me that "day after tomarrow" feeling. You know when the polar caps pours fresh water in and de-salinization of the gulf stream kicks us into the next ice age. 2012 would really be a time of GRAT CHANGE if this is anywhere remotly true. Myans might still be right, not end of world but great change.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Not only did the 1800's storm knock out telegraph lines, but it also generated enough current in barbed wire to set fence the fence posts it was atatched to on fire

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I saw that exact same article on Yahoo this morning as a top headline. An hour later it was gone, and I had to do a search to find it. I guess the MSM shot themselves in the foot on that one

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by robbinsj

And we can only hope that all the recon sattelites go BZZZT!! That would sure level the field between us and them

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Please God no the World cup starts tonight , please no satellite explosions?
Is it likely the World cup satelite will be affected?
Does anyone know if there are still cables in the sea that could be used as a backup?
There was dropouts in the Australia v USA warm up game, there are millions upon millions who would be gutted if the Football wasnt able to be broadcast due to solar storms.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

haha I know you probably really like watching football, but to be honest this is possibly the biggest thing we are going to have to deal with in this decade if its as bad as they say it is... So getting the latest sporting event will be the least of your problems. If the fails safes in the grid fail then we will be without power for a very long time possibly up to a year. Reason being is all the stuff that could possible get fried is readily available, so it will take time to manufacture and get the grid up and going, and you can bet the major cities will get the parts first

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Everytime something interesting has been happening on the Sun for the last year, I've been waiting to see some Aurora here.....

But every time the sky is clothed in thick cloud cover here.

Every time.

I'm finding this very interesting.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbon
Not only did the 1800's storm knock out telegraph lines, but it also generated enough current in barbed wire to set fence the fence posts it was atatched to on fire

I haven't heard that about the fence or about bright flashes and extreme sun burns. Are you all serious?? If so, this is really some scary stuff to come. Do you think the "gubment" is starting to leak info a little at a time to us? We live in a rural area, so I feel being away from a lot of electrical wires, large buildings etc. is probably good. I would hope and pray airlines, trains and mass transit would be halted if this can actually be pinpointed to a specific day and time.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by graaly

No milions like me really really LOVE FOOTBALL, so this isnt me trying to be cute believe me, but I respect your point, and it may appear churlish to be worried about the possible World Cup blackout

Is it really going to blackout ciites?
I have heard nothing until reading this thread.
When exactly will the max burst be felt on earth?
In australia we have a very depleted ozone layer and skin cancers are killing a lot of people, I am worried the combined ozone depletion and the massive radiation from the storm may be fatal for Aussies?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
reply to post by graaly

No milions like me really really LOVE FOOTBALL, so this isnt me trying to be cute believe me, but I respect your point, and it may appear churlish to be worried about the possible World Cup blackout

Is it really going to blackout ciites?
I have heard nothing until reading this thread.
When exactly will the max burst be felt on earth?
In australia we have a very depleted ozone layer and skin cancers are killing a lot of people, I am worried the combined ozone depletion and the massive radiation from the storm may be fatal for Aussies?

idk about it happening this soon on a level of taking out major networks to effect your game but to have this type of info to be released via the MSM makes me think it "could possibly" be larger than what there telling us. As in all case we are only given watered down aspects of the truth.

I was never a religious man but something rang a bell....

Peter 3:10:
"King James Bible"
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join