It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 Year Old "Sailor"... reportedly Lost At Sea ** Update**

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Abby Sunderland, a 16-year-old sailor attempting to circumnavigate the globe by herself in a sailboat, is feared lost at sea, according to ABCNews.com.

Abby Sunderland, pictured in January about to leave on her solo trip, is feared lost at sea.
Sunderland activated two emergency beacons between 7 and 9 a.m. ET on Thursday, her mother, MaryAnne, told ABCNews.

Story

Wow 16 years old at sea alone. Must be scary.

So my question to ATS is, would you let your 16 year old try sailing around the world.... alone ?

I wouldn't.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
We have all seen those news stories where a teenager does something like sail around the world by herself or climb Mount Everest by herself. The parents that let their kids do these things by themselves only see the upside. They may have an overinflated confidence in their teenagers' abilities and are giving little weight to the risks.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm 17, and plan on biking across Canada 10 times starting very soon.

This girl has guts. The sea is something i could not handle, I am more of a land person. And even then, getting lost would be very frightening.

She is hopefully prepared so her escape from the vast sea will be relatively calm and easy going.

If she was a person that was way in over their head, she must be very frightened.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
That poor girl! Her parents should not have allowed her to do that. She is not yet an adult, which means her parents are responsible for her safety. If she is dead, I would not be surprised if her parents were charged with child neglect or involuntary manslaughter.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Umm... How about those GPS, location beacon devices? Surely, she should have that one board in case something really bad happens. Hope she makes it out fine.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It's all well and good to have confidence in your child and to want to help them spread their wings and all, but a 16 year old at sea by themsleves? Never in my wildest dreams would I allow a child to do such a thing. And at 16, you are old enough to know the risks. Even experienced seafaring grown men at sea have lost their lives. This is tragic news. I hope the child is found and safe.

CX

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Most of the young people that do these kinds of challenges have a world of support behind them, and they wouldn't be allowed to do it if they really weren't up to the task.

Would i let my daughters do this kind of thing? If they were up it and had the knowledge, drive and skill.....yes i think i would. Even as an adult, how do you know you are up to sailing around the world alone?

Two more years and the parents wouldn't have a say in it anyway.

Hopefully she'll be found soon.

CX.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

It may not be wise to do your trip all by yourself. Are you an experienced cyclist? Have you cycled long distances before?

I do not know much about cycling, but I would be willing to bet that ever experienced cyclists would to have a partner with them when going on a long distance trip. You may also want to have back up plans for every worst case scenario.

What are you going to do if you get injured? What will you do if some idiot hits you with a car? Do you have enough food, water, and other provisions? What will you do if you run out of provisions or lose them somehow? What about other dangers like mooses or bear?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

That is the problem. There is no objective and knowledgeable person making the determination of whether the child is up to the task. Many parents foolishly overestimate their child's aiblities.

Any school teacher will tell you that there are many parents who think their C student children are the smartest kids in the class and are going to go to Harvard. Any sports coach will tell you that there are plenty of parents of short kids with no jump shot that think their kid is going to be the next Kobe Bryant.

Should it be no surprise that there are parents who think their kid can sail around the world just because the kid took a couple of sailing lessons?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I hope she is rescued alive.
A lot of us where saying she is not physically strong enough for the extreme conditions...she trains in calm SoCal waters.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Who in their right mind would allow a 16 year old to do this in the first place?
I feel sorry for the families involved. However, isn't this part of the risk one
must overcome to accomplish such a feat?! Not surprising at all. Hope she's
ok.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

..Seems every month there is a new story about some teenager trying to sail around the world.

Weird.

But you'd think a responsible parent would.. I dunno.. put some form of tracking device on the boat? Or person actually, incase she/he is kidnapped.

Stand corrected, she did have tracking, they still lost her though.

[edit on 6/10/2010 by Rockpuck]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It is a risk the girl and her parents knew could happen.
Here parents had a better understanding of that risk then she did. I'm sure about that.

During her age the brain is actually more or less fully replaced for a brand new one.
We all know this as puberty.

Teens in there puberty around 16 have not got the ability to recognize human emotions in a face. They can judge a happy face as angry and vice versa.

This leads me to believe the child, cause that what she still is, can not possibly judge such a risk simply because her brain has a big promotion sign shouting renovation in progress. Keep your helm up and watch your step. Certain projects are still under development and can malfunction during this process.

But 16 is also the age to get married and have children not so long ago.

What do you do ?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Zac made it just fine. Im sure she will be okay, she probably just panicked and is tired. Anyone ever sailed any distance here, knows what Im talking about.

Its very very very easy to get fatigued and panicked on a sailboat in the middle of the ocean. Hell, I wasnt even in the "middle" of the ocean.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
If I went to the store, left my 16 year old child alone at home and something happened I would be charged with neglect and probably other crimes.

I can't see why she was allowed to do this just to be honest.

I have two boys, and I've often "joked" that had I had a girl, when she was 21 she'd walk outside and exclaim "daddy whats that?!?!" and I would say, "it's the sun baby, you've heard about it your whole life, now you actually get to SEE it".

While it is a joke, it also is a testament of the lengths I would go to protect my child, especially a girl where in todays world she would have an iPhone at 8, facebook page at 10, tramp stamp at 12 and I'm a grandpa when she's 14.

Anyways, I would never have allowed my child to do what shes done, regardless of her experience, drive or whatever. When shes 18 she can sail whereever she wants.

I do hope this young girl is alright though, the Indian Ocean can get pretty bad this time of year.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

So my question to ATS is, would you let your 16 year old try sailing around the world.... alone ?

No.

Seas aren't safe.
Especially with so many fiery tempers and outright desperation.

I wish her the best.

- Lee

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I would not have allowed one of my kids to try this.

It's just silly and potentially fatal.

Technology has improved and you can track the boats but what happens when mother nature doesn't cooperate?

I hope that she is OK and gets rescued.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
This 16 year old just completed her solo round the world trip.Before she left a lot of people thought her parents were crazy for letting her go,but she made it and good on her for doing it .
www.jessicawatson.com.au...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I record 20/20 on Fridays on my DVR and watch it later.

I am pretty certain that they just had a program about this girl, If I recall correctly. Her boat was very impressive with all types of communication and tracking gear.

Unfortunately that does you no good if the boat is underwater.
Capsizing is one's biggest risk and worst case scenario in a small boat in the ocean.

In fact they interviewed the parents, and the Dad's response was if he didn't have confidence in her he wouldn't let her attempt the journey in the first place.

The Mother said that their daughter would also be at risk of dying riding in a car with a teenaged driver as well.

Boy, it makes me wonder if the parents didn't have a boatload of life insurance insurance policies on her !!!

I am not much of a sailor, and more of an aviator.
But I have sailed with my wealthy friends on their racing yacht , sloop.

In rough seas You really get hammered when the boat crests the waves and crashes into the trough. It is not fun at all.
Can you say "SeaSick" !

To each his own.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Round-the-world teen sailor alive, well

A 16-year-old California girl who was feared lost at sea while sailing solo around the world has been found alive and well, adrift in the southern Indian Ocean as rescue boats head toward her damaged yacht, officials said.

After 20 hours of silence, a search plane launched from Australia's west coast made radio contact with Abby Sunderland on Friday in the frigid southern seas where her boat was repeatedly knocked down by huge waves and she lost satellite phone contact.

Read more: today.msnbc.msn.com...

Source

This is really good news.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join