It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happens When You Die? Evidence Suggests Time Simply Reboots

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Extremely interesting, put in points that I never really thought about before.

What Happens When You Die?

What happens when we die? Do we rot into the ground, or do we go to heaven (or hell, if we've been bad)? Experiments suggest the answer is simpler than anyone thought. Without the glue of consciousness, time essentially reboots.

Interesting, no? I always thought it was something along the same lines. Especially since time is ultimately an illusion.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
So you think we keep living the same life over and over and over?

Sure, sounds great if you have a great life and all, but some people really wouldn't want to relive anything. I don't think there is much of anything in my life I'd really want to have to relive.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Thanks for this. I think that's pretty cool that they are thinking this is how death "works." Guess we'll find out when we get there.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessieg
So you think we keep living the same life over and over and over?

Personally I don't think we live the SAME life over and over again. To me that'd be pretty pointless, especially if you're into spirituality and the soul. That would defeat the purpose of gaining physical experiences for the divine mind or however else you want to look at it. But I think what this suggests is that instead of life just ending, our soul is more or less reincarnated into another physical life. I've read that your soul doesn't de-evolve in a sense so I don't think you'd go from a generally happy person in one life to a slug in the next. What I could see happening is you go from a generally happy person in one life to a generally sad person in the next in order to simulate both sides of the spectrum.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I love how "atheists" try and answer the question of the soul without giving attention to a God or the spiritual realm. Here there is clear acknowledgement of the existence of something eternal yet no submission to a superior presence who might hold it's creation accountable.

It's like having your cake and eating it too lol. At least I see this as progress...we are indeed eternal beings...death is simply a doorway to another room so to speak.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
you are on the right track

its all a time loop
and yes that makes everything everyone does pointless
no one wants to hear that...free will....my destiny...my whatever

this cup of coffee, I am having for eternity Karl Renz once told me
this is what he is refering to

yet for some reason, in some loop, things will break down, glitches, opportunities to see through will occur. our doorway of escape...
but do people really want to leave their prison cell, or simply make it look more pretty and stay in the loop

that is the question...

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Black Ops

This is a strange article.

A living person, cannot possibly state that they have evidence as to what happens after you die.

Who did they ask? The dead people? You can't seperate conciousness and evaluate something unless you don't have conciousness.

Time is a human invention, our time, but there is natural time, it's not an illusion. The great cycles of the planets and and the Universe.

The problem is that we've come slaves to the mechanism of time that we've created for ourselves.

But as for this paper, I am highly skeptical, nobody can answer this question, to actually say that you have some sort of evidence is kind of silly in my book.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I think "evidence" was way too strong a word. This was just your run-of-the-mill speculation about the Everything. I was hoping to see an experiment or at least some sort of analysis.

In regards to the notion that in modern physics time is just a "stubbornly persistent illusion", I think the modern physicists (and even Einstein himself) confused "a model that works" with "reality". Since they were able to describe the behavior of the universe using a 4-D mathematical model that included time, and got absorbed in their work, they lost the distinction between the model and the thing it models.

If time is an illusion, one is still faced with the necessity to explain the illusion. You have solved nothing, only changed a label.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hmmmm

Interesting. "Time reboots".

That could explain the Dejavu experience. Couldn't it

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Hey, I've had a great time, except for the bad bits, which everyone experinces.

A reboot in my case, would not be, un-pleasant!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black Ops
Extremely interesting, put in points that I never really thought about before.

What Happens When You Die?

What happens when we die? Do we rot into the ground, or do we go to heaven (or hell, if we've been bad)? Experiments suggest the answer is simpler than anyone thought. Without the glue of consciousness, time essentially reboots.

Interesting, no? I always thought it was something along the same lines. Especially since time is ultimately an illusion.

I am very pleased that you posted this. I have tapped into the unconsciousness and have been told something similar though i could never confirm it. This point of view goes parallel to what was revealed to me on the other side. Great confirmation! So i guess when you die, your consciousness reports to another new born body, but is cursed with *amnesia. Then the individual lives a similar life AGAIN due to reincarnation.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The idea of a temporal restart is certainly interesting; an angle I hadnt thought of. It reminds me strongly of Nietzche s notion of the Eternal Return.Eternal Recurrence

I dont think there s evidence in the article posted in the OP per se, at least not scientific evidence, it seems more like a personal rumination.

Einstien as a scientist probably held the belief that ultimately all existence could be reduced to an essential spatial identity -( time is an additional "dimention" and thus treated as space theoretically), most physical scientists subscribe to this underlying assumption of scientific work. so I think this is why he said what he did.

The interesting part of the article is his statements about the removal of time/space structures upon death. He obviously believes that these are innate structures of mind, so if mind ceases then so do these structures.
The scientific side of this is that at a quantum level time is largely irrelevant, so that as you scale up in size time sort of springs into being purely as a result of scale. So there is the potential for a scientific back up for this idea. So if you think at all that space/time could be inate or semi-inate to mind then this reboot idea becomes interesting. It would require that reality is an ambigous chaos, with reality certainly, but time and space are neurological short hand, a convenience of scale for things with brains.

So if you have a disperal of space/time, the result is an anomolous singularity, but the kicker is you dont have a mind, and are identical with the whole of the real. Perhaps some kind of symetry breaking occurs and you fragment into a self again. Interesting stuff.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I would like to congratulate the OP for this thread, it is the best I have encountered

I personally have had dreams and visitation of past life thoughts that have then replayed in this life.
They are like warnings, but more often than not I relive them ,but not always.
It makes sense to have a level played out until we pass the test?
Sort of like a video game?
You go to the next level when you remember and learn.
Perhaps when we die we visit a mundane holding area where everything is explained or known, but it is so ordinary.
Then we forget and go back into this life/loop for another go.
We choose our looks, then we are tempted /triallled in the womb before birth ?
I remember the womb clearly being tested/tempted but people think Iam delusional if I tell them, but I have remembered since childhood,I would guess Iam not alone in this, but we talk about politics/UFos/work/sex/ect ect but never the things that have been pushed so far down we dare not peek.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I read a theory a while ago somewhere..

Maybe in the last moment before we die, in the last second we go into a dream state and in that dream we find our meaning of 'heaven' (everyone has an idea of what heaven is) and as the dream (heaven) takes over, with this our perception of time will cease too.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
What this article is implying is the theory of Eternal Recurrence, made famous by Nietzsche.

And trust me...I've given this topic thought out the arse, and always came back to one conclusion: It's illogical. I can safely say that Eternal Recurrence might be the least credible of all after life theories. Even Nietzsche didn't buy much into it himself.

Look at these factors when considering Eternal Recurrence:

Number one- Time would have had to exist, truly. As in, the universe was created at one point, and will end at one point...which means it is not expanding indefinitely. Which would mean there would have to be a creator somewhere.

Number two-If their was a creator, persay, what satisfaction would he get out of an Eternal Recurrence? Is he just doing it for laughs and giggles? Obviously not...I would hope that somewhere there lies a point in the universe other than just simply existing.

Number three- You would have to be a big believer in destiny. Take this quote from Nietzsche to heart:
"What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine."

I think this goes back to the point that there are so many different combinations possible in the universe, that it is almost crazy to think that we consciously experience this universe at only one, reoccuring point.

Evolution is like the devil of free will
And Eternal recurrence is the devil of destiny

Both are theories that occur from two possible motives. Evolution is like we are being pushed forward against our will, into an uncertain and pointless future.
Eternal recurrence is like we are being pushed into a certain and pointless future that we have no control over.

As soon as either theory, or any theory for that matter, can answer the simply question, Why? as in Why are we here? instead of simply just stating our outcomes...then they have no place for discussion.
Because life is vital to the universe in one way or another, or else their wouldn't be a universe.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
First of all, consciousness is not dying with physical body.
After physical death our consciousness shifts to etheric body. Etheric body starts to separate from physical body and this process triggers a set of events which is described by people that had near death experiences. When separation of etheric body is complete, the silver cord breaks and astral body is being released.
At this point consciousness can't return to physical body anymore, the person is "dead".

Then consciousness shifts to the astral plane which is a dimension of emotions and desires.
Life on astral plane continues until person's emotions and desires become completely calm. When this happens, astral body dies and consciousness shifts to the mental body and life continues on the mental plane until person decides to either reincarnate to the physical plane or move to higher planes (in case there is no need to reincarnate anymore).

I want to point out that this is of course a VERY brief and oversimplified afterlife description.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Etherguide]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
OK, I ve looked a little bit into Lanza and I ve realized that I ve encountered this guy before (media-wise that is). I think the key to what he is talking about is the term "Biocentrism" which philosophy he basically invented (based on earlier philosophers work of course). It is pretty interesting and worth checking out if you are into that kind of thing.

Biocentrism

Basically our phsyical reality as experienced by us is generated by biology. Quite a copernican shift really.

Another interesting article from Lanza:

Have Aliens Left the Universe?

...where he explains his biocentrism ideas somewhat as well.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I watched a progam on TV called, "Through the wormhole" with Morgan Freeman. The episode discussed the science of God. Various scientific methods pointed to God from school's of Physics, Cosmology and Psychiatry. But to me, the most interesting posit came from a JPL scientist, who says that we...our lives are a fantastically sophisticated simulation. The pixel is the smallest particle and I suppose we are but characters in the playstation of God. Reboot??? Certainly!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
And also that begs the question...What happens after humanity disappears?

Hypothetically speaking lets say that every human does die on 2012 (very hypothetical)...is this theory saying that we will experience this same fate for all of eternity?

Seems a little fishy and me. I would think a little trial and error would be in effect. Because we obviously aren't the first beings throughout the universe to be conscious. And if that was our eternal fate, life wouldn't exist.

You can't go from point A to point B, and then magically appear back at point A without first reversing your path, or starting a new one. That's just physics.

Sounds like this guy was just a guy with too much time on his hands, and too much money to have his 'stolen' theory published.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Black Ops

That was a good read, cheers for posting! S&F

I love the Einstein quotes. you can't beat em...

g

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join