It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mountains hidden beneath Antarctic ice revealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Mountains hidden beneath Antarctic ice revealed

www.msnbc.msn.com

The rugged peaks soar to more than 8,000 feet (2,400 meters). They are buried beneath solid ice more than a mile (1.6 kilometers) thick, deep within Antarctica's eastern interior.

What the pictures reveal, Bell said, is spectacular: a dramatic landscape of rocky summits, deep river valleys, and liquid, not frozen, lakes, all hidden beneath the ice.

"We now know it's not a volcanic mountain range," said study team member Kathryn Rose, of the British Antarctic Survey. "And uplift by a hotspot in the mantle is probably out in terms of a mechanism of formation."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It’s hard for me to imagine just how gloriously beautiful these mountains must have been at one time. The Nasa satellite imagery that’s being used is unbelievable in how it shows the depths of the valleys, the height of the mountains, and the lakes hidden beneath miles of ice. How long the ice will last to protect these mountain ranges and keep the oil demons, diamond mining fiends, and criminal bankers away is another story. Sadly, the tipping point is close as ice sheets are melting at a rapid rate.

peace

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Gutterpus

Hiya Gutterpus, nice thread

We've got an ATS member, Suziwong, who blogged about the same thing last year... Secrets Beneath the Antarctic Ice. Scientific American have also published an interesting article that adds some more details to your OP...Under the Radar: Unearthing Antarctica's Surface below 10,000 Feet of Ice.

Imagine what might be preserved beneath all the ice, in one of the valleys of these mountains? Years back, we found dinosaur remains down there...Two New Dinosaurs Discovered in Antarctica. With a bit of good luck, it's possible we could find the frozen remains of critters that have been extinct for hundreds of thousands of years.

Starred, flagged and bumped

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Thanks Kandinsky for all the info. I'll certainly take a look at it when I get a bit more time.

The critters that must have roamed this area had to have been incredible. Not to mention the scenery!

I for one would love to see it preserved as it is - protected. Until, we as a human society, can appreciate and care for these special places without our inherent destructive ways, it's better left alone.

Appreciate your input.

peace

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Fantastic info
s+f
it's amazing how much we still don't know about our own planet & as satalite imagery gets better we'll have an even better idea of what it looks like.
Like you've all said i hope it stays as it is & isn't ruined by the glory hunters of the world looking to make money

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Super thread Gutterpus!
V. interesting pictures and info, some places look like fjords ( didn't realise just how much of the ross ice shelf was on it's way!)
I wonder what will be found there eventually? It's been covered by ice for about. 6Ma(million years). some say it has been covered for 35Ma, either way that means there could be quite a lot of discoveries made when we can see even more clearly under the ice(if it stays there).Most of it would be extremely well preserved! Wonder if anyone lived there?(if you believe in previous human civilisation)

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
i always have said and belive atlantis is on antartica. its just frozen under all the ice. Just think of the posiblity of human remains or citys being under all that ice. I wise one day i will be able to see or read about finding of citys in antartica.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Just think of the posiblity of human remains or citys being under all that ice.

Some believe that you'd likely find Nazi bodies under that ice.

Operation Highjump

Operation Highjump has become a topic among UFO conspiracy theorists, who claim it was a covert US military operation to conquer alleged secret underground Nazi facilities in Antarctica and capture the German Vril flying discs, or Thule mercury-powered spaceship prototypes. This has been the central theme of Robert Doherty's "Area 51" series of novels.

New Swabia

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
rhynouk – thanks for your comments.

consulmac – hopefully any discoveries made – eventually – will be shared with the people of the earth and not hidden. Whatever they are, they’ve got to be pretty amazing.

camaro68ss – it would be interesting to see if Atlantis is hiding there. Pretty soon, perhaps Google earth will reveal this type of technology and we can each take our turn searching every square inch. One day it will be found.

Thanks to you all for your comments and S&F’s.

Found some more information on this. Check it out. I love that they call it a “ghost range” and how it involved a seven-nation team. Evidently the images stole show at the International Polar Year Conference, which was the largest polar science meeting ever held.

There are also additional links discussing the mountain range.

newsdesk.org...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
They "WILL" find more than mountains

I was going to say they`ll get more than they bargained for but that seems like they wont expect it. WATCH THIS THREAD. Mark my words

S&F

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It's the real MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS Lovecraft style. The great old ones will be upon us!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I agree with you whole heartedly!

I think there is a very good possibiity of finding ancient ruins on antartica! Imagine how awesome that would be? It would certainly make us revise history.

Ive always played with the theory that maybe at some point in our past, the earth was hit by something large, or a large magnetic disturbance tilted our planet, leaving antartica where it is today, thus covering it in ice. I have no evidence to back up this theory, but it always seemed "plausible".

theres also another theory that since the ice doesnt build up uniformly that the difference in weight helped displace the artic crust, or basically moving it south over time due to centrifugal force.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I found this very lengthy "history" of operation highjump and find it quite interesting. Evidently it was the largest operation the military had ever contemplated involving nearly the whole navy fleet.

I'm sure there's more information out there on this particular operation, but you have to wonder why was the military spending money to such magnitude during peaceful times going across the earth for something they claim was just to train in those conditions? I don't buy it.

Yep, there's a lot under that ice, you can bet on it.

www.south-pole.com...

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Gutterpus]

new topics

top topics

join