It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Publishing Company Under Fire for Putting Warning Label on Constitution

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Publishing Company Under Fire for Putting Warning Label on Constitution

www.foxnews.com

A small publishing company
is under fire after putting warning labels on copies of the U.S. Constitution, Declaration of Independence and other historical documents.

Wilder Publications warns readers of its reprints of the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, Common Sense, the Articles of Confederation, and the Federalist Papers, among others, that “This book is a product of its time and does not reflect the same values as it would if it were written today.”

The disclaimer goes on to tell parents that they "might wish to discuss with their children how views on race, gend
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
So the publisher decides the Constitution is just a relic and its values outdated?
That's just preposterous! The brave men who founded the USA had a clear vision and had the best interests of american citizen in mind. Even though I am not american, I strongly believe that it is a precious document, one that can protect people from losing their identity and freedoms.
That's how the country was meant to be and how it should always be and it's not the place of publishers or governments to decide what's worth and what isn't. They must be punished if they go against the basic rules laid by people who really loved their country and countrymen.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
So the publisher decides the Constitution is just a relic and its values outdated?

Yea, I know what you mean.. Obviously nothing has changed since they wrote it.

You Americans should revert back to the times when terrorists to the current empire could annex entire continents and own human slaves.. Not to mention the fact that women as second class citizens couldn't vote and there was no real rule of law..

That bloody Publisher should really rethink what they are saying.

lol

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Unfortunately, it shows the mindset of a lot of people.

Many people in this country think the constitution is outdated and needs to be redone.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The Constitution and Bill of rights are no longer useful as they have been overwritten by The Patriot Act and Trading with the Enemy Act.

And there Is no USA only the Corporate United States.

In 1933 the U.S. went into chapter 11 bankruptcy.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Well, I have to say that when they write “This book is a product of its time and does not reflect the same values as it would if it were written today", they're absolutely right. If the Constitution, or any documents from the birth of our country were written today they'd be totally different documents.

They'd be 100s, if not 1,000s of pages long, drowned in legalese, with no basic values or policies that could be easily identified or defined. They would be sponsored by corporations, with lots of vague structure that would be beneficial to said corporations and their bottom lines. Instead of stating rights, they would define limits and laws regarding what we can not do.

So in that sense, yeah, they're right on the money with their warning labels.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Trouble is, is that they are half right to add that, being an Englishman and from my (limited) understanding of the US Consitution it IS a relic of it's day, but it's one that has guided the American people for hundreds of years it is a document that is HONOURABLE , HONEST and JUST. A bit like our Magna Carta here in the UK , they both were based on the beliefs and asperations of the people who wrote them.
But they are also right about the differences today , the US Government indeed ALL Governments change ways no matter how deeprooted in the people's psyche to suit THEIR needs not the needs of the people , something which is NOT HONOURABLE , HONEST, nor JUST..
BUt like the Bible, it is something that unscrupulous people twist and turn to suit their own benefits, they find loopholes to get round something that they tell the people to believe in.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

“This book is a product of its time and does not reflect the same values as it would if it were written today.”

i hate to say it... but is that really so far from the truth?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Open your eyes. The government, everyones, believe this.

And this ,also (which is the reason the publisher wrote this) :

Originally posted by Dermo

You Americans should revert back to the times when terrorists to the current empire could annex entire continents and own human slaves.. Not to mention the fact that women as second class citizens couldn't vote and there was no real rule of law..

That bloody Publisher should really rethink what they are saying.

lol

[edit on 10-6-2010 by ickylevel]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

WARNING: POSSESION OF US CONSTITUTION MAY WIND YOU UP IN JAIL

Is the U.S. Constitution Terrorist?
by Fred E. Foldvary, Senior Editor
Someone in the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation seems to think so. A brochure from the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force in Phoenix, Arizona, provided FBI agents and other law-enforcement agents with ways to identify potential terrorism. According to this brochure, a knowledge and use of the Constitution of the United States of America, its supreme law of the land, brands a person as a terrorist.
See If You Encounter and examples of suspected terrorists

What the FBI agents and police officers are to look for include "Someone who makes numerous references to the U.S. Constitution." So if a highway patrol officer flashes his lights and orders you to pull over to the side and stop, and he says he will arrest you because the bumper sticker on your car says "Preserve the Bill of Rights," and you say you have a Constitutional right to free speech, he could brand you a terrorist suspect.
www.progress.org...

sad but true
I'm a firm constitutionalist BTW
thats why I' am here
fighting for it
with a pen
wish we had one in Canada just like it.
and the bill of rights

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Danbones]

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

That's just preposterous! The brave men who founded the USA had a clear vision and had the best interests of american citizen in mind. Even though I am not american, I strongly believe that it is a precious document, one that can protect people from losing their identity and freedoms.
That's how the country was meant to be and how it should always be and it's not the place of publishers or governments to decide what's worth and what isn't. They must be punished if they go against the basic rules laid by people who really loved their country and countrymen.

I can't believe you're arguing about progress and change on the internet using a computer.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

So I don't get the problem. Actually, I do. The knee-jerk ignorant chest-beaters among us are the problem. The fake patriots who have no real education or perspective and want to gnash on about the Constitution being perfect or our founders being saints. These are the same dangerous zealots who take the bible literally.

The truth is far more complicated, as is the nature of humanity, which is what makes the Constitution such a beautiful accomplishment.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
we have warning labels on our window screens that say they WONT stop your kid from falling out the window..

common sense you would think right.,.. no..

companies need disclaimers so they dont get sued..
I would have one if my company were printing them..

[edit on 6/10/2010 by KATSUO]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei

I can't believe you're arguing about progress and change on the internet using a computer.

What? Please elaborate that statement. it sounds old and outdated to me.

I would have to agree with the publisher. The Constitution is archaic. Not because of age or changes in values, but because our government no longer uses it as a guideline.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
While I agree that the label should not be on the documents, I am at a loss on how it is "wrong" (As in factually)

I'm sorry, I guess what I am asking is:

How is the label incorrect? To me, it seems like a valid representation of how our government views those documents. (Also, some folks in this thread!)

The company had the correct assessment on their publications, just because it SHOULDN'T be true, does NOT make it untrue.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

This country is vastly different than what it was. Women can vote, Blacks aren't forced to be someone's human chattel etc.

I think they are correct in what they are saying. Times change, people change. You cannot expect people would produce the same document in this day and again. I'm tired of the "Church of the Founders". At the end of the day they were people.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This is just plain silly!

Sure, times change but basic values should not. To justify a "warning label" on the Constitution and other of our founding documents by saying that it's to prevent lawsuits is preposterous. Who would be named as respondant? Certainly not the publisher, and there is no copyright holder. Not to mention trying to show actual damages from reading these "revolutionary" ideas.

To follow the logic of those who agree with these warning labels, similar or even stronger warnings (if not outright bans) should be applied to the
Bible, the Quran and the Torah. (OMG! I can already hear the frenzied mob of Mossad trolls yelling "Anti-Semite!!")

I'm on my way to that publishers website to give them a very large (and possibly obscene) piece of my mind!

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Tholidor]

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Tholidor]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Already being discussed here. U.S. Constitution Reprint carries a warning label

It is a standard label that it puts on all old texts.

I just have to ask if anyone really bothered to read the so called warning. It only states that it would be a good idea if parents discuss the contents of the book with their children to help them with any question refering to the views on race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity and interpersonal relationships.

You guys are really against parents discussing the constitution with their children. I would say that that would actually be a good thing.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

From a related thread in Political Madness forum:

U.S. Constitution Reprint carries a warning label

While this "publication" may be minor, I find the notion that one of the most significant works of our national heritage merits an advisory as if it were written in Shakespearean old English, disheartening.

The authors went to great lengths to be understood, and in understanding them, and the ideal they set as a goal, you can understand what our national culture is all about.

Pretty soon, they'll say only lawyers and judges are capable of plumbing its depths. The rest of us are to be "warned" as if we were too feeble-minded to grasp the complex nature of the so-called "rights" of people and the ridiculous concept of limitations of government.

I recall there was a time when we were too feeble-minded to read scripture...

It is true that women can now vote and slavery is legally abolished.

But the message of the constitution was not about women voting, or slavery.

It was about governance, and the supremely immovable axiom that the people are THE power of the land, not her administrators, nor celebrities, nor royals, nor 'special' people.

I agree that there is nothing technically wrong per se, with noting the age and time-frame of the document. Those are factual elements.

Personally, I believe the warning should read:

Warning: Do not attempt to convey the conceptual and practical concepts espoused in this document unless you have read it yourself and understand the purpose of it's creation and the intent of its creators. It is imperative that the reader be warned: excerpts casually extracted from the document can be misleading, especially if taken out of it's authors' contextual reality. In this manner, this document is no different than any other document, written by any other person or persons, anywhere, at anytime.

But then, shouldn't everyone know that as a matter of common sense?

The warning is a waste of ink, and a prophylactic against liabilities which the culturally paranoid bring into our lives.

The truth does not 'age'. Freedom from oppression, rights of people, the ability to live a life of your own choosing... in what way do such notions require a "special" understanding?

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Maxmars]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join