It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Fireball Slams Jupiter! Can The Giant Planet Protect Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

June 08, 2010

A huge fireball was spotted on Jupiter in yet another collision from space caught on camera and video by amateur astronomers. This new impact on Jupiter comes less than a year after a spectacular crash on July 19, 2009, when what scientist now think was an asteroid about 1,600 feet wide slammed into the planet. That collision created a massive bruise the size of the Pacific Ocean.The new Jupiter crash occurred on June 3 and was spotted by skywatcher Anthony Wesley in Australia and fellow amateur astronomer Christopher Go in the Philippines.

And here's the vid...

Is Jupiter protecting Earth? Planetary scientist George Wetherill contended that Jupiter's enormous mass catapults Earth bound comets and asteroids out of the Solar System 'like a slingshot'. Others have postulated that Jupiter's gravitational pull scatters dangerous asteroids and other objects, making Earth less impact prone.

However, there's another school of thought that suggests that, in the past, changes in Jupiter's orbit might have actually increased the number of objects on a collision course with earth. But until now, little work was done to test either idea.

So where would the next fireball be? I guess we'll have to wait and see!!

M ore...

[edit on 10-6-2010 by OrionHunterX]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Perhaps the ancients knew more about astronomy than we give them credit for. This reminds me very much of the story about Saturn devouring it's "children".

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
edit, this looks like the same event that has been covered previously.

I suspect we will see more of them.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
While I have no doubt that Jupiter has had some role in keeping our world impact free, the Moon has been a far better companion. For example, just look at the far side. Lots of craters, each one with a pretty decent chance of hitting our blue world.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
While I have no doubt that Jupiter has had some role in keeping our world impact free, the Moon has been a far better companion. For example, just look at the far side. Lots of craters, each one with a pretty decent chance of hitting our blue world.

is the avatar art ur work?

top topics

join