It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 Mins in a Tanning Bed. Is that bad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Hi, most of you know me and you know Im male. Even so I do need sun, and no Im not trying to be metrosexual. Theres a tanning bed in the basement of a friends house and I went over and used it today. She had previously recommended I start off at 15 min a session. The first session I did this and the next day I forgot to go, so I remedied it today with a 30 min session. Another girl I know freaked out and said I could have done myself harm. Any suggestions?

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Hey Agent 47,

You should never stay in a tanning bed for more than 15 minutes.

Here is some more info:

Tanning beds have a time limit for a reason. If you stay inside too long, it can cause severe damage, both short term and long term. It can 'cook' your internal organs and cause irrepairable damage and in some cases death. If you stay in a tanning bed too long on a regular basis, your skin suffers the consequences.

Link

Tanning Booths: Are they worth the risk?

Link

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
If I tan, its the natural way - the yellow glowing thing in the sky

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Agent47. I doubt staying on for 30 minutes once will cause any problems. Just don't make a habit of it otherwise you may end up fried like this bugger -->

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by EmbryonicEssence
Tanning beds have a time limit for a reason. If you stay inside too long, it can cause severe damage, both short term and long term. It can 'cook' your internal organs and cause irrepairable damage and in some cases death. If you stay in a tanning bed too long on a regular basis, your skin suffers the consequences.

OK lesson learned here folks? Stay the f*ck away from tanning beds.

I dont understand the whole need to be tanned thing. But hey some people like it. Just Tan the natural way to be on the safe side.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
So even though Embryonic's data (thanks by the way) would suggest my organs are shot, that is the result of repeated use correct?

I have a nasty burn on my stomach well not really nasty but its nice and pink.

For the question of why didnt I tan the natural way? Well its been raining here in the midwest for a while.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Repeated use has the possibility of injuring your organs, but thats only if you plan on lying on a tanning bed for 30 minutes at a time - all the time. :-D 15 minutes, 5 days a week should be just enough. Sometimes 10 minutes is all a person needs, depending on skin type.

Just be cautious when using a tanning bed, that's all I"m saying. :-D 15 minutes on a tanning bed definately gives you a lot more UV rays than 15 minutes in the sun. You're also much closer to the UV source, thats why it can have adverse affects on your innards, if it is not done correctly.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Agent47,

Start at 10 mins, up it to 15 in a week, up to 20 in 2 weeks. I wouldn't tan anymore than every other day, so you can gauge how much ya got out of the bed the next day. Also don't forget to use lotion after ya get outta da shower, tanning will dry out your skin. Yeah, I've been called a pretty-boy before.

new topics

top topics

join