Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

MSM reports "DOOMSDAY scenario" about new Oil Spill

page: 2
71
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64
Rock Star Sting Questions Wisdom Of Drilling Deep Gulf Well
Posted by Wayne Harrison, Web Editor

POSTED: 3:09 pm MDT June 10, 2010

DENVER -- British rock star Sting says like everyone, he's paying attention to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and wonders why such a deep well was approved to begin with.

Sting, born Gordon Matthew Sumner, was preparing Thursday for a second night at Denver's Red Rocks Amphitheatre as part of his tour with the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra. He stopped by the Denver Art Museum to look at a painting of southern Colorado's Mount Blanca by his friend Stephen Hannock, whose work he collects.

"The problem in the first place is what were they doing drilling that deep without any safeguards? Who allowed that to happen?" Sting said of the spill.




Sting began his "Symphonicity Tour" of North America and Europe on June 2 in Vancouver.

The BP well has been spewing millions of gallons of oil since the rig exploded April 20



www.thedenverchannel.com...

[edit on 10-6-2010 by freetree64]




posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Look at all the deep ocean wells that Transocean has.

Many at 7500 ft and deeper.



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Man this is terrible...i grew up on the coast around the TX/LA state line...this truly breaks my heart...



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
if true yet another web bot hit.

maybe that is why there are only BP camears down there.

invest in Orange Juice if you have the cash.

much more but gotta head to work. cya



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Here's my idea...

Solution for oil spill:

[Step 1] Fabricate 3 very large mesh baskets using graphite rods and fasteners where rods intersect. Each basket is approx 40 yards in diameter and approx 2 storeys tall. Spaces in mesh basket base are large enough for well head to fit through unimpeded.

[Step 2] Lower first basket approx 50 ft deep. Divers attach 4' diameter iron discs at base inside basket using a 3' locking steel cable for each disc. Discs have pre-drilled hole near edge where cable loops through (iron manhole covers could be acquired quickly); and the other end of each cable connects to an intersection point in base of mesh basket. Iron discs provide weight for sinking basket.

[Step 3] Lower basket and guide using GPS as BP have done already with top hat. As basket descends, iron discs will rise and be held up vertically on edge inside basket allowing water/oil to flow up through spaces in basket base. When basket settles on ocean floor, centering over well head, the discs will fall over flat, making a solid floor in the basket with the well head being inside the basket.

[Step 4] Using a large, remote controlled cargo net, lower (as many as possible) refrigerator-sized sandbags filled 3/4 with mix of sand and heavy granite rock. Important: leave each sandbag 1/4 empty so the bags will fit tightly together forming a seal under the top down weight of thousands more sandbags. Fill the basket as evenly as possible to its top, burying the oil leak under thousands of sandbags.

[Step 5] Repeat steps 1 - 4 until there is a stack of filled baskets 40 yards across and stacked 6 storeys tall, stacked like huge pancakes.

[Step 6] Lower onto top of stack one layer covering the top with large, reinforced concrete blocks each with a center core of lead (the air force has tested these as non-explosive bunker busters and has an inventory of them. They are very heavy objects.

[Step 7] Lower onto stack approx one million tons of loose, large granite scree/talus.

[Concept Rationale] This works like a compress on a bleeding wound.

The slack in the canvas sandbags crushes together naturally form-fitting with each other and makes a seal. This would be a massive, heavy, crushing compress over the well head and problem area, burying the leak under tremendous tonnage held together structurally by the giant mesh baskets.



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by I_am_Spartacus
msnbc, and the huff, both part of the obama propaganda team, "reporting" a "serious crisis you don't want to go to waste", creating "an opportunity to do things you did not otherwise think you could"

[edit on 10-6-2010 by I_am_Spartacus]


Yep. Better confiscate guns and declare martial law before the world ends. Ya know, to protect the people and all that.



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Why not bring a long metal/iron tube replacement for the well?



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by switching yard
Here's my idea...

Solution for oil spill:

[Step 1] Fabricate 3 very large mesh baskets using graphite rods and fasteners where rods intersect. Each basket is approx 40 yards in diameter and approx 2 storeys tall. Spaces in mesh basket base are large enough for well head to fit through unimpeded.

[Step 2] Lower first basket approx 50 ft deep. Divers attach 4' diameter iron discs at base inside basket using a 3' locking steel cable for each disc. Discs have pre-drilled hole near edge where cable loops through (iron manhole covers could be acquired quickly); and the other end of each cable connects to an intersection point in base of mesh basket. Iron discs provide weight for sinking basket.

[Step 3] Lower basket and guide using GPS as BP have done already with top hat. As basket descends, iron discs will rise and be held up vertically on edge inside basket allowing water/oil to flow up through spaces in basket base. When basket settles on ocean floor, centering over well head, the discs will fall over flat, making a solid floor in the basket with the well head being inside the basket.

[Step 4] Using a large, remote controlled cargo net, lower (as many as possible) refrigerator-sized sandbags filled 3/4 with mix of sand and heavy granite rock. Important: leave each sandbag 1/4 empty so the bags will fit tightly together forming a seal under the top down weight of thousands more sandbags. Fill the basket as evenly as possible to its top, burying the oil leak under thousands of sandbags.

[Step 5] Repeat steps 1 - 4 until there is a stack of filled baskets 40 yards across and stacked 6 storeys tall, stacked like huge pancakes.

[Step 6] Lower onto top of stack one layer covering the top with large, reinforced concrete blocks each with a center core of lead (the air force has tested these as non-explosive bunker busters and has an inventory of them. They are very heavy objects.

[Step 7] Lower onto stack approx one million tons of loose, large granite scree/talus.

[Concept Rationale] This works like a compress on a bleeding wound.

The slack in the canvas sandbags crushes together naturally form-fitting with each other and makes a seal. This would be a massive, heavy, crushing compress over the well head and problem area, burying the leak under tremendous tonnage held together structurally by the giant mesh baskets.


Don't forget the giant lollipop for being such a brave leaking oil well.



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This is F-ing scary!

I've sat here in the past and wondered how doomsday scenarios would go, how would people react, and now I feel like i'm sitting here watching one unfold, I had a feeling this was going to be bad when the explosion happened.

Could the oil spill in any really bad scenario have an affect on North Alabama, in the Decatur, Huntsville area. I'm afraid that either the oil or the chemicals they are using is going to come from the gulf in the air or something up towards this way. Is that possible?



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
A very similar idea to mine (see above) was proposed to BBC News yesterday but that person's idea was to just dump rocks and boulders on top. It was analyzed by some 'expert engineer' who said that in theory the weight of enough large rocks would overpower the upward force of the gusher, so that part makes sense, but the expert said that the only problem is that the oil will leak up and out through the gaps in the rocks, so that is the only reason that person's idea wouldn't work. My idea solves that problem with the structure and the canvases making a tight seal.

You can laugh if you want and you can go ahead and laugh at Costner, too. I believe that my idea combined with Costner's clean-up machine would do the trick.

Engineers, corporations and government bureaucracies always want to overcomplicate things. My idea and Costner's should be implemented right away and if BP says no, Barack can kick their ass out of there.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by switching yard]



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FearNoEvil
reply to post by Americanist
 


Trying to put 2 & 2 together.

Maybe they cut the pipe off so it would relieve some pressure off the ocean floor leak.

If they try to cap the riser - all that pressure might start using the cracks in the floor - eroding into something that could NEVER be stopped.

I know I saw earlier video that showed oil coming from below the riser.


I stand behind my earlier posts. Clear the riser apparatus off the sea bed and replace it with a massive inverted anchor (similar appearance to those used on small fishing boats). The cone diverts the pressure into equal parts. The inverted "gutters" funnel the oil into shoots. Is the same concept for the cap BP eventually placed except on a much larger scale. It would funnel oil into multiple pipes... Not just a single capacity stream. An extra benefit is that this would rest on the sea floor and capture more. Now why we haven't heard of fresh tankers on standby to collect the oil immediately is beyond me.

Seems like all we can do is cross our fingers, and hope the riser doesn't cause too much interference while the relief wells are completed. Yet another beast of a project...



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64
the off hand chance that a large fault opened up in the ocean due to a large tremor, and oil spilled out into the ocean.... " Who would the media blame then"?

That's the point that most catastrophobes miss.

Crude oil leaks, natural gas blowouts, and methane blowouts in the ocean have been happening for hundreds of millions of years on Planet Earth. Humans didn't invent oil spills — it's a perfectly natural occurrence.

In fact, it's inevitable on a planet with a seismically-active crust.

BUT... How many "mass extinctions" have they ever blamed on naturally-occurring oil leaks in the earth's crust?

ZERO

That's because the Earth's oceans already know how to deal with it. That's part of the evolution of the Earth's oceans.

Don't believe ANYTHING you hear in the Mainstream Media or from this circus-sideshow administration. They're fear-mongers, and they'll use ANY OPPORTUNITY to cast fear into your hearts. Don't be fooled.

— Doc Velocity






[edit on 6/10/2010 by Doc Velocity]



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17
This is F-ing scary!

I've sat here in the past and wondered how doomsday scenarios would go, how would people react, and now I feel like i'm sitting here watching one unfold, I had a feeling this was going to be bad when the explosion happened.

Could the oil spill in any really bad scenario have an affect on North Alabama, in the Decatur, Huntsville area. I'm afraid that either the oil or the chemicals they are using is going to come from the gulf in the air or something up towards this way. Is that possible?


Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... Let's play this smart and dump toxic chemicals in the ocean (in the millions of gallons range) instead of using centrifuges, microbes, and perhaps even absorbent films .



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17
 


Have you ever seen weather maps that show all the moisture from the gulf being carried up everywhere East of ths Mississippi? Maybe even some places west of the Miss.

Doomsday - you betcha - for maybe 21 million people. They may be coming into your neighborhood looking for housing. Are you going to up the rent rates, up the sales prices on homes?

Florida economy went down when people stopped moving here. We had a big building boom with all the newcomers buying houses. Florida real estate has suffered more than anywhere else in the whole country.



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This is goin to destroy our ecosystem!



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
Doomsday - you betcha - for maybe 21 million people.


Nonsense.

Show me the precedent for ANYBODY dying as the result of an oil spill. There is no precedent.

To make these sensational, ignorant statements about "doomsday for millions" is flat out fear-mongering. A HOAX. There's no Science behind it whatsoever.

— Doc Velocity



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity
 


Coming from a guy who knew smoking was bad, and waited until a heart attack struck... I'll take everything you say with a grain of MSG!!



I take into account mass extinction events are just as likely to be caused by methane gas bubbles over the traditional comet/ asteroid strikes. Use some common sense... This is apparently your second go at life.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Americanist]



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOMALY502
Well the government finally admitted 40,000 barrels a day.


So it must be 400,000 now.



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist
Coming from a guy who knew smoking was bad, and waited until a heart attack struck.

I didn't have a heart attack, and there's no concrete proof that smoking caused my stroke, either. I quit smoking because the moment was opportune. I used the occasion to assist me in quitting.

But you'd know all that if you knew what you were talking about.

— Doc Velocity



posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by freetree64
the off hand chance that a large fault opened up in the ocean due to a large tremor, and oil spilled out into the ocean.... " Who would the media blame then"?

That's the point that most catastrophobes miss.

Crude oil leaks, natural gas blowouts, and methane blowouts in the ocean have been happening for hundreds of millions of years on Planet Earth. Humans didn't invent oil spills — it's a perfectly natural occurrence.

In fact, it's inevitable on a planet with a seismically-active crust.

BUT... How many "mass extinctions" have they ever blamed on naturally-occurring oil leaks in the earth's crust?

ZERO

That's because the Earth's oceans already know how to deal with it. That's part of the evolution of the Earth's oceans.

Don't believe ANYTHING you hear in the Mainstream Media or from this circus-sideshow administration. They're fear-mongers, and they'll use ANY OPPORTUNITY to cast fear into your hearts. Don't be fooled.

— Doc Velocity


[edit on 6/10/2010 by Doc Velocity]


Your argument is unvalid. It's not because it never happenend (we aren't even sure of that) that it can't happen. Plus we "have" humanity now to agravate things. And oil is formed by dead things so the older the planet the more oil there's in it.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by ickylevel]





new topics

top topics



 
71
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join