It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. scientists design smart underpants with electronic biosensors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Article

Printed on the waistband and in constant contact with the skin is an electronic biosensor, designed to measure blood pressure, heart rate and other vital signs.

The technology, developed by nano-engineering professor Joseph Wang of University of California San Diego and his team, breaks new ground in the field of intelligent textiles and is part of shift in focus in healthcare from hospital-based treatment to home-based management.

The project is being funded by the U.S. military with American troops likely to be the first recipients.

Ultimately, the biosensor that detects an injury will also be able to direct the release of drugs to relieve pain and even treat the wound.

Wow...just, wow. Technology is advancing at a rapid pace nowdays. Biosensor waistbands. I dont think i would of ever thought of that idea.

This is a pretty awesome new technology. I wonder how much a pair of these pants would cost? Whats the next new tech coming down the line???

[edit on 10-6-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
On one hand this is pretty dang neat. On the other hand, imagine your insurance company getting a hold of this. In fact, making it a policy requirement to wear at all times. Blood pressure gets to high? Your rate just went up. Sweat out to much alcohol? Rate goes up. Even detecting wounds and administering pain medication etc. could be bad. Oh you're not hurt that bad, you only get this little bit of medication, we will not cover any more.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Professor Wang's underpants?

Are you sure this is legit?

Just askin'.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Next thing you know they will be made to take a urine sample and analyze it then flash a light if you have to much to drink.

or warn you about getting to excited.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Boxers, Briefs or Biometrics?!
Are they combative against skid marks?
I shall stick with my boxers.

It's amazing cause I could not develop something like that and
completely stupid since I dont see the point.

If you're health is so extreme that it warrants you to wear
funny underwear, perhaps you should change diet, exercise, visit
your doctor more often, eat right and sit back and enjoy the
show called life.

Why subject yourself to something so idiotic?

If your doctor or practitioner prescribes these, you should consider
a new doctor.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
My underpants already have a bio-sensor.

I call it "me"...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I wonder how the biosensors will work with the gangsta's that sag their pants to the knees??? Maybe they need to make a gangsta biosensor.

Why did they choose underpants for the location? A bracelet might be smaller, or maybe something that goes on your chest?

new topics

top topics

join