It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
All I can say is WOW ! This is truly beautiful !

THE TREE OF AVATAR: NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) is doing more than just taking crisp pictures of the sun. It is revealing our star as a place of intense and sometimes even alien beauty. In today's image, we see "The Tree of Avatar." The trunk of the tree is a twisted, gnarly pillar of magnetism containing hundreds of millions of tons of relatively cool plasma. The canopy is a cloud of million-degree gas. As solar physicists watched this tree on April 19th, it exploded, producing one of the biggest eruptions in years: movie.

The colors in the movie trace different temperatures. Reds are relatively cool (60,000 K - 80,000 K); blues and greens are hot (1,000,000 K - 2,200,000 K). The tree's cool trunk rapidly heats up as it rises into the blast, and the canopy cools down as it falls in pieces back to the sun. Go ahead and watch the movie again. Once is not enough!

Source

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing this amazing phenomenon

I watched it quite a few times

Cheers

Ocker

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
It's the ULTIMATE Lava Lamp.. we need a dedicated webcam we can plug our huge LCD TVs into. he ultimate screensaver as well.

Plus we will get to watch the last solar flare Earthlings ever see when the big one hits -- in real time.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 8311-XHT

I like that idea of making a screen saver out of this !

new topics

top topics

join