It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The total play time of every WoW player is 5.93 million years

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I didn't read the whole thread or everyones posts, but I know tons of friends who have logged so many hours on this game and I just think its insane. Its fictional characters in a fictional world...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
If you think that's bad - can you even imagine how many hours have been put in my those on Rune Scape?

Now THAT would be frightening to know!

As for those who like to believe MMORPG's are just 'pixels' - I think they have to take another honest look at the games, the players and themselves...

MMORPG's are as 'real life' as any other hobby or diversion used to pass the time - only far more addicting.

Anyway, thanks for the thread.

peace

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
yeah it doesn't phase me. 2.5 years ago a mate from work told me he had worked up 265 days playing WoW.... He still plays it now just as much....

But there is a conspiracy with WoW.... which may be why people seem so addicted and find it hard to quit....

"CletusDelRalph
2 months ago 19
Lol theres actually more, this is what I heard:
Play world of warcraft...
You can buy it by card...
Give us your money...
Become a customer...
It's not that much money...
Blizzard is weird xD"

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

THAT is a scary video.
Glad I don't play WOW...
Back to RuneScape for me lol

Thanks

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Is it really that addictive or are peoples standards jus really low?

I tried a trial of it. The while thing is an endless string of pointless fetch quests and clicking. Only slightly more engaging than staring at a screen saver.

May as well have thrown away 6 miilion hours watching the flying toasters go by.

This is why I'll never make a million dollars. I either give people too much credit and don't expect them to pay for something so worthless or I feel bad for screwing them over.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Here is some info I gathered about Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG’s)

On Sept 13, 2005, an estimated 4 million players of the popular online role-playing game World of Warcraft - Blizzard Entertainment, Irvine, CA, USA (currently 10 million players – this would be the largest peer-to-peer network in the world) encountered an unexpected challenge in the game, introduced in a software update released that day: a full-blown epidemic.
Players exploring a newly accessible area within the game encountered an extremely virulent, highly contagious disease. Soon, the disease had spread to the densely populated capital cities of the fantasy world, causing high rates of mortality and, much more importantly, the social chaos that comes from a large-scale outbreak of deadly disease.
These unforeseen effects raised the possibility for valuable scientific content to be gained from this unintentional game error.

Patch 1.7, released on Sept 13, 2005, contained access to an area known as “Zul’Gurub”. Which was intended for use by players whose characters had achieved a sufficient level within the game to be considered “relatively powerful”. The centrepiece of this area was a combative encounter with a powerful creature called “Hakkar”.
Occasionally, one of the players facing this massive winged serpent would be purposefully infected by a disease called “Corrupted Blood”. This infection, as intended, then rapidly began infecting other nearby players. To the powerful players who were battling Hakkar, the infection was just a hindrance, designed to make this particular combat more challenging. However, several aspects of the disease caused this minor inconvenience to blossom into an uncontrolled game wide epidemic. The ability of many characters to transport themselves instantly from one location to another was the first factor in the game that unexpectedly set the stage for the plague. This type of travel is frequently used to return to the capital cities of the game from more remote regions for reasons of game play. Many victims of Corrupted Blood thus reached heavily populated areas before either being killed by or cured of the disease, mimicking the travel of contagious carriers over long distances that has been the hallmark of many disease outbreaks in history — the Mongol horde and the bubonic plague, or the cholera outbreaks of Europe during the mid-19th century. The highly contagious disease then spread to other players outside the intended, localized combat area near Hakkar. The second factor that sustained the epidemic was that the disease could escape its origin in Zul’Gurub via interspecies transmission from player characters to animals and then back. Many players in the game have “pets”, non-player animal characters that assist them in the completion of certain functions within the game. The penalty assigned by the game for allowing a pet to die was prohibitively high, therefore players commonly dismissed their pets rather than subjecting them to dangerous effects such as disease. Dismissal temporarily removes the pet from the game, keeping them in stasis until they can be healed or otherwise safeguarded after the dangers of combat have gone. These pets, therefore, acted as carriers of the disease and also served as a source of disease by causing new outbreaks when brought out of stasis—even if their owner had recovered and was no longer infectious. Based on player accounts, pets, as opposed to the infective characters themselves, seem to have been the dominant factors for the disease. Players would return to densely packed capital cities and retrieve pets that, being infectious, immediately triggered an outbreak. The density of susceptible characters within a specific radius was, therefore, the only apparent limit to transmission.

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

1.) MMORPG’s can help with management training in areas such as:
Goal Setting, Short Term, Mid Term, and Long Term

Leadership Skills, Conflict Resolution, Delegation, Leading a Group

Event Organization, Estimating Time, Scheduling, Promoting

Teamwork Skills, Working in a Group, Taking Criticism, Listening to others

Research Skills, Finding Information, Organizing / Presenting Information

“Simulation games have proven excellent tools for training people in manual skills; for example, X-Plane, a flight simulator that runs on home computers, has been certified by the Federal Aviation Administration.
Virtual environments are safe platforms for trial and error. The chance of failure is high, but the cost is low and the lessons learned are immediate.”i
“Some 60 schools and universities have set up shop inside Second Life some 90 Harvard law and extension school students taking the course, called "CyberOne: Law in the Court of Public Opinion," can receive real college credit. But anyone on Earth with a computer connection can also take the course for free. Students are participating from as far away as South Korea and China.
Other classes using SL include undergraduate English composition courses at Ball State and Central Missouri State universities, an education course at Pepperdine University, and a medical course on hypertension at the University of Tennessee.”ii
b.) “Using World of Warcraft and Other MMORPGs to Foster a Targeted, Social, and Cooperative Approach Toward Language Learning.”iii

www.academiccommons.org...

Continued in next post

[edit on 10-6-2010 by RedmoonMWC]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
3.) Studied by the Center for Disease Control
a.)

“Simulation models are of increasing importance within the field of applied epidemiology. However, very little can be done to validate such models or to tailor their use to incorporate important human behaviors. In a recent (Sept. 2005) incident in the virtual world of online gaming (WOW), the accidental inclusion of a disease-like phenomenon provided an excellent example of the potential of such systems to alleviate these modeling constraints.”

Eric T Lofgren, Rutgers University and
Nina H Fefferman Dept. Public health and Family Medicine, Tufts University
The Lancet Infectious Disease Journal

b.) “In August 2006, CDC set up its first test site for sharing public health information in an on-line, "cyber community." The community is named Second Life and has more than 3.3 million members.”

www.cdc.gov...

i John Seely Brown (jsb@johnseelybrown.com) is director emeritus of Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, Inc and a visiting scholar at USC. Douglas Thomas (douglast@usc.edu) teaches at USC's Annenberg School for Communication and edits Games & Culture: A Journal of Interactive Media www.wired.com... You Play World of Warcraft? You're Hired! Issue 14.04 - April 2006
ii www.usatoday.com... Posted 10/5/2006 By Gregory M. Lamb, The Christian Science Monitor
iii Todd Bryant Language Program Admin Acad Tech
Language Program Administrator Dickinson College a nationally recognized and highly selective liberal arts college located in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
www.language-exchanges.org...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
yeah i remember when that happened...

I read about it in the newspaper...

Good for epidemic simulations... Like it happened just after the SARS panic in China and Asia....

I never played WoW until like6-8 months ago, then only trying it for a couple weeks. Horrible, boring game. "kill 10 boars", "kill 10 scorpions". WOOOOOWWW sooo boring....

Then I played Star Trek Online MMORPG... That was HEAPS better though a tad repetitive.... but not as much as WoW... omg...

I had some point to this post, but im drunk and cant remember except that WoW sucks!!! LL Starcraft!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Awesome TED video. I am a former WoW player myself.

The TED lady had some great ideas and it made me think of the book Enders Game. For anyone who hasnt read it, they prepare kid from a youg age to be fleet commanders of battle ships in space through video games. Once the stories hero reached a high enough level they put him incontrol of the fleet without him even knowing and he beat impossible ods, all while thinking he was playing a video game.

Maybe if we made changing the world fun and challenging we can let the gamers who spend billions of years collectivley playing, actually accomplish something real!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

Hey finaly someone who read more then just the thread title , I salute you !

It sounds like that book got near the idea although it oposes it aswell since in the book it concerns a isolated person and all was done in service of war. (sounds like a book i would like tho ,how well was it written?)

Maybe if we made changing the world fun and challenging we can let the gamers who spend billions of years collectivley playing, actually accomplish something real!

Excactly what was purposed and her biggest problem is how to make it in some way have a reallife impact or consequence if you will.The "how to live without oil" game is a step in the direction and also certaintly the evoke game Lordbucket linked to.Imo with just these 2 ideas there should be enough fundament to expand on.The next real problem is how to get this sort of media active amongst the masses the concept would only really fulfill its purpose truly if it was backed by millions of players.

A game as is purposed here offers no real battle of any sort unless it is on the intelectual level.Try and convice millions to play that and you would do good if you hired a pro PR department for it
.It would be almost like trying to make eating vegetables "fun" for kids.

That is going to be a tough nut to crack.

Letting it loose in schools might be a good idea.

\

She is spot on about certain things tho and she really made me think and agree.

People are more motivated to achieve and they enjoy doing it more then they do in real life
It IS easier for people to move around and comunicate and collaberate with each other then in their real world.You can notice it (if you played a MMO or 2.I myself played Eve-online and Aion) it is simply very hard to find that level of collabiration in the non virtual plane when you stop and think about it.

It is still very hard for me to think how this can be turned into a real working and accepted model tho but it sure is novel.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Rafe_]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Rafe_

Doesnt life already have its rewards and challenges? Learn a trade and make more money. Get a worthwhile education in a field of interest and get the job you want. Park your ass in front of the TV drunk for 40 hours a week and end up poor and sick.

The rewards may not come as quickly as they do in a video game and you dont get hit with light and fanfare every step of the way but the same effort->reward path is there. Until the government comes and takes your reward away anyway.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Rafe_

how this can be turned into a real working and accepted model

Simple.

Implementing "game-like" features into real life. For example, in WoW, getting your epic mount is a strong motivator to level. If everybody who exhibited the behaviors we wish to encourage were all given game-style rewards, it would be very easy to generate behavior.

Want to reduce teen pregancy? Give every girl who makes it to age 20 without becoming pregnant a lamborghini, and you won't see many teen pregnancies. Want to reduce pollution and dependancy on oil? Hand out $10 cash per day to every person who doesn't own a car.

These would be game-style rewards. And they would be extremely effective.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Almost all of society's problems are self-created. We all need to be doing less, consuming less. People who have logged a year plus on video games aren't out committing crimes, or doing anything wrong.

I see society judging gamers as losers, etc. Sometimes I wonder if society has more respect for rapists than gamers. Hardcore gamers are sitting in a room by themselves playing ridiculous hours. THEY AREN'T HURTING ANYBODY, but themselves perhaps.

I mean I bet some of us still feel a little guilty for letting the water run too long when we brush our teeth, sometimes I still feel it. Nevermind there are tons of people out there with SWIMMING POOLS in their backyard.

Don't feel bad for playing video games and staying out of trouble and causing no harm. This world is just absolutely intent on making everyone feel guilty and worthless, even those who just stay out of the way and never cause problems for others.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It is too bad we don't have 5.93 million years invested in the space program.
Second line for charity.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
How many years do we have logged watching TV/movies, putting together models, playing golf, etc.

People have hobbies, and this is one of them. Saying it is wasted time is sad and hypocritical.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Exactly! But of course watching TV may be constructive. How else are we supposed to find out what type of person is attractive, and what sort of activities are cool to be good at. How would we know what to buy to express our individuality, and what on earth would be tenable to talk about without American Idol and the Bachelor. And also how else would we know how to approach current events in ways that are in tune with the status quo.

I think I'll stick to gaming

Instead of the Trillions of YEARS in time wasted by Americans watching TV. Gaming does not rot your brain, if anything negative happens it overstimulates it.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Hmmmm... not defending "no life" game addiction, but how much time has humanity spent watch television? If every moment not spent changing the world is a lost and wasted moment then I think less than one percent of all time spent on earth had been meaningful.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I spend a lot of time in my own "virtual" world inside my head. I wonder why people pay 39.99 a month for something that's free (imagination). However I do agree it is not a worthy use of time. I think it has to do with our fear of our selves so we escape into lesser worlds where we have more control and things aren't as meaningful. But then again there is a lot of time so no wonder people waste a lot of time playing games.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I am also a former WOW-addict. I think I racked up about 200 days in the period of 3 years. Seeing a statistic like this does not surprise me. There are so many people that devote every moment of their free time to this game and even sacrifice their sleep time to fit more game time in. I would estimate that of those who played on my realm (server), 1/3 were casual, 1/3 serious and 1/3 addicted. Casual being about 2 hours per day. Serious, 4-6 hours per day. Addicted, 8-12 hours per day. Some scary stuff.

I have been clean for almost two months, but it's tough. You get the visions of the game, dream about being one of your characters, excitement when reflecting over the beautiful landscapes and interesting NPCs (non-player characters). Of course it doesn't help when every time you go to a shopping centre, the next expansion is advertised right in front of your face. PRE-ORDER now and be first in line!

Be warned: playing this game will likely take up all of your free time and challenge your relationships with those who do not play the game. People have lost their jobs, lost their husbands and wives, lost family, had relatives die and ended their own lives as a result of investing too much time in this game.

[edit on 14/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
Simple.

Implementing "game-like" features into real life. For example, in WoW, getting your epic mount is a strong motivator to level. If everybody who exhibited the behaviors we wish to encourage were all given game-style rewards, it would be very easy to generate behavior.

Want to reduce teen pregancy? Give every girl who makes it to age 20 without becoming pregnant a lamborghini, and you won't see many teen pregnancies. Want to reduce pollution and dependancy on oil? Hand out $10 cash per day to every person who doesn't own a car.

These would be game-style rewards. And they would be extremely effective.

Nicely put. I believe the Psychological term for this type of behaviour is Positive Reinforcement. Reinforcement is a good way of conditioning others to take part in behaviour you consider desirable. There is also Negative Reinforcement which is effective too, but less popular because it contains a negative consequence if you fail to take part in the desired behaviour. Then there is Punishment. Unfortunately, Punishment seems to be the preferred method of teaching for those currently in power!

[edit on 14/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join