It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The miniature art museum on the Moon! (The Lunar Warhol & co.)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

A new PBS documentary concludes that Andy Warhol and five other artists contributed sketches that were miniaturized and put on a postage-stamp-sized chip smuggled aboard Apollo 12. And their art remains intact on the Moon, waiting for lunar art-lovers.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5868ac8be443.jpg[/atsimg]
From this article: Was there a miniature art museum on the Moon?

"For us, at the time, the moon landing was the most exciting thing that ever happened. The artists just wanted to be part of it," says Myers, one of the six artists, including Warhol, Claes Oldenburg, Robert Rauschenberg, David Novros and John Chamberlain, who made sketches. Representatives of Oldenburg and Chamberlain confirmed to USA TODAY that the artists had contributed to the effort.

During the 1960s, Myers was one of hundreds of New York artists working with Bell Labs engineers on the "Experiments in Arts and Technology" program. Wright traces for PBS how the artists' sketches were shrunk onto rectangular half-inch-by-three-quarter-inch ceramic chips by two Bell Labs engineers, now deceased.

I think this is great! I love hearing things like this. I would bet a million $ that Warhol is responsible for the... uh... rocket ship in the top left corner. Maybe ET will stumble across this and see that we are not all war and deception and decide to let us live!

The article doesn't mention which sketch is by which artist - and just what that slightly obscene-looking doodle in the upper left-hand corner is supposed to be - but maybe the PBS History Detectives episode, airing June 21, will clear that up.

"The Moon Museum" will be on view at the Tampa Museum of Art from June 18 - August 1, 2010.

Related Links:
PBS investigates mystery of tiny moon art museum
Tampa Museum of Art

-E-

[edit on 9-6-2010 by MysterE]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Isn't the "spaceship" the "one" Osiris lost?... And the genius that made the line... Wow... Such sensibility... It says so much and... It must have been his culmination! What more could he do after that?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Is that a middle finger on there? Awesome.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Very interesting! This seems almost amazing to think something, even this small, had passed by NASA's eyes and is sitting attached to some module on the moon.

I wonder what the "Moon Landing is a Hoax" community will think about this. It wont change their minds, but it doesn't prove anything either.

Originally posted by MKultraVideos
Is that a middle finger on there? Awesome.

Yeah... Finger....

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Nematode]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MKultraVideos

Looks more like a "c*ck and balls" to me.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by turk182
reply to post by MKultraVideos

Looks more like a "c*ck and balls" to me.

Oh yeah it does sort of look like that. Middle finger or family jewels, I think that speaks in volume to any life form.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Great. The pinnacle of 60's technology (the Shrinky Dink) embossed with c*ck & B*lls is our greeting card to ET.

Hawking is right, they're gonna kick our asses for sure, now.

PS - Warhol was probably the genius behind the straight line.

top topics

join