It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UFO forum is becoming fail

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
You obviously didn't read my post either, or did you read the op and a few replies then skip to the end to add your comments?

It's not ATS's responsibility to automate a thread function. It is the THREAD CREATOR's responsibility to use the search function.

If you were not talking to me then apologies but...

Responses like yours are another problem on ATS.

I read the whole thread thanks. I explained that search returns too many results, which it often does on the Alien forum. People are people and aren't going to wade through upteem threads to see if something has been previously posted. Or are you the 1 in a million that goes to page 50 on google results?

It is similar to paths that meet at right angles with a 'keep of the grass' sign. Despite the rules, people still cut the corner and walk on the grass. It is human nature. The sensible designer takes human nature into account.

I didn't ask for anything to automated except jokingly for threads with the word 'disclosure' to be 'accidently deleted'. Maybe you should have read my post PROPERLY before posting your ARSEY response with capital letters.

[edit on 10/6/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
As far as I can see the UFO forum is the same as it's always been - wheat and chaff. It's up to the reader to decide what's what. I've been a member for years and there have always been long debates on BIRD photos, elongated INSECTS. Now there's more and more CGI. Whether UFOs are alien or OURS.

Amongst all that there are great genuine UFO tales.

Some of these great sighting stories are shot down with a nasty "PROVE IT". That puts some folk off too. Personally I don't care and no-one who's had a good sighting should care either. I still like to tell my UFO stories, it's fantastic that this stuff is real (scary too) but if folk aren't interested I don't mind. I like fiction too btw but I do know the difference.

When I have a few hours of peace I intend to put a long TRUE story on the rats forum about my personal experiences. Some of it posted before, but for the first time, the whole story from beginning to end. Shoot it down if you like, the more the merrier. If you've spare cash send the lie detector man to me. I'll beat his machine, (or I won't believe it).

Scanning through the posts here I read that INTERNOS has been banned. I wondered why I haven't seen him around. I'm shocked.

If you're reading this Internos, I miss you and your tinfoil hatted cats. Need a new avatar and I have a film to show you too.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I'm right and you are wrong.

nuh uhh...I'm right and you are wrong...

We are right and they are wrong..... and here is why

Nuhhh-uhhhh

They are wrong and we are right.... and here is why

Genesis 3:22 is the dilemma and that is just plain ole truth that stands on its own and tells us we are all off track.
and
Genesis 3:22-24 says
Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"-- 23 therefore the LORD God sent him out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken. 24 So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.

Thank God for "lest" in the second half of Genesis 3 verse 22 because had we ate from the tree of life we would be stuck forever thinking we were/are right and they are/were wrong. God saved us on that day when he locked up the garden.

That need to be right is a real killer

[edit on 10-6-2010 by superluminal11]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
You mean "becoming a failure"? Because "becoming fail" means nothing except to today's illiterate "txting" OMG-LOL-ROFLMAO-kids of the internet.

Anyway, I think you're exactly right about the quality of thread and posts going downhill after ATS becoming so large. I equate it to the "Ignorant American" syndrome. We all know that all Americans are not stupid. However, you can tune into any late night talk show and watch the host go out onto the street and ask extremely simple questions to the general public and it appears as though most people don't complete 8th grade.

ATS used to be a select number of individuals whose interest is piqued by UFOs, conspiracies or any number of "alternative" subjects that they could discuss on a forum such as ATS with their "peers". Now, it's become diluted with the "general public". You know, those people that can't point out Arizona on a map of Europe. It's sad, but true.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by tyranny22]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
1337 smugness is what wrong with these forums. You are not obligated in any way to read, review and authenticate anything here!

You are part of the problem as I see it!

How bout you start a private forum for you and other armchair UFO experts and stop crying!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Damn just as I join people are saying its becoming a fail? Opps I must of picked a bad time lol.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Radiobuzz

while i don't disagree with you that the UFO forums are complete fail....the only thing I can point out about your thread is this:

There *ARE* only 2 kinds of UFO experts. The ones who post fake crap willfully, and the ones who post fake crap ignorantly that has already been discussed ad nauseum.

If someone were to just post in the UFO forum about....what they think a UFO's weapon systems are like, then it'd just be Sci-Fi....

The fact of the matter is, I do believe in ET's and flying saucers....but I don't think they're dumb enough to expose themselves to, what they could most certainly perceive as, our primitive cameras

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I have been lurking and reading and keeping up to date and not posting much this week but I felt compelled to do so after reading your thread.

The thing is OP and I am clearly not going to be liked for saying so but to be perfectly honest I don't care, I am getting sick and tired of theses threads that are appearing on ATS that slate members and there approach to certain subjects.

We are a community here we all share the same goals and interests otherwise why the hell are we on this site. If we were all the same then the world would be extremely boring. I myself don't give a rats ass if the same videos are discussed time and time again, I don't give a damn if people want to discuss the same topics over and over what alot of us forget is that everyday there are new members joining this site whom aren't so informed as the members that have been here for years.

What I am getting pissed about is the fact that other members think so much of themselves that they disrespect new members for not empathising with them. One thing for sure is that NONE of us were born with the answers to life and no amount of research in to a particular topic is ever going to prove 100% without any doubt that the person who thinks they know everything is indeed right.

What I suggest if it annoys you to read a thread that has been discussed 1000 times or if you feel like you already know everything you need to know about a particular subject then please Don't read the thread this goes for all members who are getting annoyed with the same old posts, the same old talk, the same old lines. stay away the thread will soon die and a new one will pop up.

These kind of threads only insult new members and I for one think we should be embracing new members not slating them.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Good thread. I, too, share your thought on the subject. I consider myself as a critic (I don't like the word debunker), and I believe people assume things too easily.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

The problem is that lately discussions came down to "I'm right", "no you don't", "yes I am" and in most cases both parties would be arguing over nothing because one has a crappy video which is showing nothing, or either the other member are not even debunking the image but merely attacking the OP. There used to be a time when videos and pictures were under careful scrutiny, however that tradition appears to be lost nowadays except for a couple of users.

reply to post by OrionHunterX

That's why I wrote debunkers and believers in quotes, they are only general tags
. And the bigger problem is not about telling someone they have filmed a bug and move on as it is explained throughout the thread.

reply to post by cripmeister

Well, I'm shocked. I understand that it's not good if he's been rude to another member (I'm only guessing reading his latests posts), but all the research and time he invested in our community was far more valuable...

reply to post by tyranny22

Actually I meant to write what I wrote. It's a known internet meme and the fact that it's grammatically incorrect is what makes it funny

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Your point is well taken.
However I think this analysis can be seen everyday and everywhere.
Not just on this board and in that category.

Uninformed, knee jerk reactions are a sign of a weak defense and
childish mannerisms. I am trying to get into the habit of not participating
in such threads you mention.

Let them play and roll in their own delusions.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
OP, I agree with gist of what you are saying. I've always been interested in fringe topics and UFOs in particular. When I found ATS I was quite exicited and over the years have found a few gems of information. However to find those gems I had to wade through a huge amount of trash. The trash always comes in one form...believers (for or against) so trapped in their worldview that they cannot see truth.

What I have come to realize is that the internet empowered a whole generation of "create your own reality" junkies. What do you want to believe? No Aliens? Aliens in orbit? Aliens in human bodies? well the internet will provide the gateway to build the foundation of your new reality.

So in the end I've adopted a kind of "Skeptical with hope" approach. I want to believe but the evidence must be magnitudes better then a video of a fly on window.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Soldier

I had to stop reading your post, which seemed interesting because of the distracting profile pic,I was beginning to get a headache

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by NASA is ASAN
Add to the fact that the UFO public is bored. Nothing of significance has happened in what? The last 5 years? 10 years? Honestly, I don't know exactly, but I know for sure it's long enough to bore people into creating things.

Erm......Thats not strictly true is it, I can only take from your post that you have been in an underground bunker for the last 5 years or that you are not a keen ufologist, to start with, we have had confessions by top brass, we have had NASA admit to water albeit water/ice molecules on the moon we have had confessions from astronauts, we have had upteen sightings that have not been debunked, lets not forget Stephen Hawkins public quote 'don't talk to aliens', coupled with the alien embassy in kazakhstan, what about the china sighting of the craft thats going to take the authorities 1 year to study the video footage. On top of that we have increased Russian sightings (possibly new silent man made tech) but nevertheless, we have had sightings all over the US that have proven very fruitful after studying the analysis, lastly but by no means least, who can forget about the O hare airport Chicago I leave you with this:

"The disk was visible for approximately two minutes and was seen by close to a dozen United Airlines employees, ranging from pilots to supervisors, who heard chatter on the radio and raced out to view it."[1][2] The UFO was then seen to suddenly accelerate straight up through the overcast skies. Witnesses reported that the object left behind an open hole of clear air in the cloud layer and that the mysterious hole disappeared or "closed" within a few minutes

So I challenge your statement, I do not believe people are bores I believe more and more people are waking up and trying to get to the truth maybe a little faster than they should but nevertheless they are starting to look.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The reason it seemed better to you before is because you were less educated about this topic before and there was lots of information here that you had not yet seen. Now you have read it, or at least most of it and want more.
The problem is that we can only present and share what is available to us.
Right now even though activity is still happening there is NOTHING NEW.
This is not the fault of the forum. New people who stumble upon ATS that are fresh in the field of UFOlogy will still find this forum usefull and informative.
It is not the forum that has changed but YOU and your perspective on this topic. I won't deny that I am frustrated many days because it feels like we have hit a brick wall.. but it is not due to a lack of anything on the part of the members of ATS.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I agree, OP...

The two worst types of posters are:
the "Stubborn Skeptic who would NEVER admit that even one small piece of evidence may be of merit, and
the "Blind Believers" who would automatically believe EVERY story about alien visitation, even when the evidence is found to be lacking. Among these are the "well...prove that it isn't an alien" group.

These two types of poster are NOT "complete opposites" as one may think, but are actually extremely similar to each other -- both types refuse to accept any evidence that goes against their preconceived notions about alien visitation.

To put it another way, both of these types of people are so biased that there is absolutely no evidence that would sway their beliefs.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a paradox indeed

if we know who they are , they arent alien
if we know what they drive , its not an ufo

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
This summer for 1 week Ill be going to what J. Allen Hynek called a "UFO LABORATORY". Hessdalen is the place, and Im bringing back the evidence

btw.
I could'nt agree more with your post!!

star N flag!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NephraTari

You are partially right but again, boring topics it's not the main issue here but rather the extreme polarization the community have suffered in these last couple of monts/years, the pretty hostile environment it has created and the lack of research shown by many of the users. Insightful posts were pretty regular some years ago, with truthful investigation and though put into them, when now it seems like something unheard of.

I'm also not agreeing with "nothing new has appeared"; franspeakfree has posted some good examples and I should also bring forward the spiral phenomenon. And I'm not saying it doesn't have a regular explanation, but it's extremely bizarre that in such a short period of time we began seeing spirals in the sky, and the fact that this is happening whilst we are submerged in the context of "2012 approaching" paranoia. If these was happening three years ago I have no doubt we would have a lot of interesting threads and enjoyable discussions between believers and skeptics, however now we have a great research and a small discussion being led by a small amount of users and surrounding that there's a flood of useless discussions and name-calling attacks which not only doesn't add anything to the subject but also it makes it less visible.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Radiobuzz

Yeah, I know you meant to write it.

Seems hypocritical to me that you complain about the quality of posts and threads and contribute to the degradation yourself. Next thing you know, you'll be "pwn-ing" people.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join