It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

running thread an a lie zing! compound words in the English language and their true meanings........

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

With all due respect, it is a bit insulting to call people Vulcans for literally taking your repeated references to 'compound words' as an honest-to-goodness compound word. How are we going to attack the English language and etymology here if we are not all on the same page and all have an understanding of English grammar?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Well vulcans is another compund word. Vulcans is liek vultures can, which is like cultures ran which is like ulcer fan which is like harasser canned.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Got another compund word "Bump"

Bump is like Cump which is like dump which is like fump which is like gump which is like hump which is like jump which is like kump which is like lump which is like mump which is like nump which is like pump which is like qump which is like rump which is like sump which is like tump which is like vump which is like wump which is like xump which is like yump which is like zump.

edit to add:

Calling me nasty compund word names like sniphead via U2U will not change anything.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Generation

Generation

Gene ration

gene ration

DNA alotment?

hrmm interesting thread

~meathead

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MotherofBlessings
reply to post by IandEye

With all due respect, it is a bit insulting to call people Vulcans for literally taking your repeated references to 'compound words' as an honest-to-goodness compound word. How are we going to attack the English language and etymology here if we are not all on the same page and all have an understanding of English grammar?

quite- but Vulcans do not speak English as their first language so- besides the logical nature of said fictional race, there is quite a scientific distance from the actual subject itself due to it being an acquired language- more than a human could understand. were we talking about the Vulcan language I would be humbled by your knowledge, I am sure.

Vulcan = Vul Can......Vul= (Chaldean) The god of the atmosphere, equivalent to the Hindu Indra. He was superseded in later times by Anu, the god of heaven, who with Bel and Ea formed the great Babylonian triad.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Got another compund word "Bump"

Bump is like Cump which is like dump which is like fump which is like gump which is like hump which is like jump which is like kump which is like lump which is like mump which is like nump which is like pump which is like qump which is like rump which is like sump which is like tump which is like vump which is like wump which is like xump which is like yump which is like zump.

edit to add:

Calling me nasty compund word names like sniphead via U2U will not change anything.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by zaiger]

sniphead? i am not familiar with that compound word.....

i thought it was something more anatomical....

but lets look at bump, shall we?

bump......makes you slow down.....
umpire......makes the calls
vampire.......an umpire who can only play 3 chords........
chump.......

but seriously- i thought of this one yesterday-

why is "monkey" sooooo close to "money"?

what is that about?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike Stivic
Generation

Generation

Gene ration

gene ration

DNA alotment?

hrmm interesting thread

~meathead

genetics

gene t(r)ic(k)s

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I recall an American televised sitcom show - `Three's Company` - and one of the actors misread the following word:

Therapist

a person trained in the use of psychological methods for helping patients overcome psychological problems.

Instead of reading the business card as `therapist` she saw: the rapist! So on a side note, perhaps the `shrinks` are truly what they do best - `screwing with the minds` of people (who should learn very hard to COPE with their own problems the best way they can without submitting to `therapists`). Get it?

Words truly have multiple meanings, indeed.

[edit on 2010-6-20 by pikypiky]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I think this thread could benefit from some knowledge of linguistics. First off you're only focusing on English, which is an amalgamation of mainly German, French, and Latin. So, instead of looking at pseudohomophones maybe you should be looking into the actual etymology of words. At least do some research into the Green Language or Kabbalah before trying to make some juvenile attempt at looking for a hidden meaning in language.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
I recall an American televised sitcom show - `Three's Company` - and one of the actors misread the following word:

Therapist

a person trained in the use of psychological methods for helping patients overcome psychological problems.

Instead of reading the business card as `therapist` she saw: the rapist! So on a side note, perhaps the `shrinks` are truly what they do best - `screwing with the minds` of people (who should learn very hard to COPE with their own problems the best way they can without submitting to `therapists`). Get it?

Words truly have multiple meanings, indeed.

[edit on 2010-6-20 by pikypiky]

one of my all-time favorites.....

good job pointing this one out

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
I think this thread could benefit from some knowledge of linguistics. First off you're only focusing on English, which is an amalgamation of mainly German, French, and Latin. So, instead of looking at pseudohomophones maybe you should be looking into the actual etymology of words. At least do some research into the Green Language or Kabbalah before trying to make some juvenile attempt at looking for a hidden meaning in language.

if someone who sings is "singing" then someone like you- a mean poster- would be "meaning" just now.......

the point is that the English language is crafted (from all the others) to mean very specific things. sure- looking at other languages helps break down the English programming we receive (personally i have studied French, Hebrew, Tibetan, Sanskrit, and Russian) but I am insisting that in this language of English EVERY word has a "spiritual meaning", if you will, beyond grammar. it cant be proven but by slowly lifting the veil here it's possible that you or i will discover the truth on our own.

please contribute to the discussion- there is no reason to get emotional.

EDIT-

OK i can't resist------what's the Green Language? is that something Obama is pushing through Congressssssssss?

[edit on 20-6-2010 by IandEye]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
anyone else notice that "666" is very very close to

SEX SEX SEX?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
your neck reminds me of an old typewriter:
Underwood.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
your neck reminds me of an old typewriter:
Underwood.

and your post reminds me of this retarded girl i used to date.....

one-liners

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Eastward

Underhand

Earthquake

Eavesdrop

Rosemary

Farseeing

Ringworm

Figurehead

Underdog