It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd public housing rule that makes 3 people share one bedroom

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
reply to post by brilab45

Public housing is government owned housing for people with low income. Section 8 housing is privately owned housing that is rented out to people with low incomes. The government subsidizes a portion of the rent Section 8 tenants pay.

Thanx for the clarification. I did not want to be misleading.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

Yes I get medicaid and have disablity. I do work part time. Yes I have paid into the system. I am getting back only what they calculate I should get for what I paid into social security.
I actually have 2 part time jobs and I am getting a Master's degree in psychology. I work between the jobs and school about 35 hours per week.
It really is irrelevant but I like to be honest.
So go ahead judge me some more but you are wrong.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

I just looked it up. Sure people judge but does it make it right? I have simple philosphies; do no harm to others and do not judge.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

How are you affording school?

More taxpayer subsidies?

The situation your friends are in is due in large part to their irresponsibility.

Tell them to act like adults, make more responsible choices, work hard, and their situation will improve.

Another question you never answered: Why dont you fund the construction of a housing complex and charge people based on what they can afford?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Moving can be a great way to help somebody. Many people are in difficult financial situations because their expenses are larger than the income they have coming in. One solution to this problem is to increase the income. Unfortunately in today's economic climate, increasing one's income may not always be a viable option for everyone.

Another way to deal with the problem is to cut one's expenses. Some regions of the country are very expensive compared to others. For example, in some parts of the US one can rent a 3 bedroom apartment for well under $1000 a month. In Manhattan, $1000 could not even get a person a studio. If a person moved from an expensive region to a less expensive region, they would effectively be cutting their expenses by several hundred dollars a month. This would be like getting a pay raise of several hundred dollars a month.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Now this sounds like a more helpful post. Why didn't you say this in the begginning?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

No it has nothing to do with irresponsiblity but just luck. He was hit by a drunk driver. She was laid off due to the recession. How the heck is this by irresponsible. She even has a degree. She worked hard all her life.
For heaven's sakes stop with the judgements and look at the human aspect of this.
Everyone deserves to live a decent life.
This is where she landed; call it dumb luck. If you get some horrible diease tommorrow would you really want someone to blame you for your diease?
I have an immune disorder that I was born with. I never made a choice to have it. I never did anything irresponsible. (no it is not HIV; but a generalized immune/ anti body deficency.) I had to take shots for years. A side effect of my shots lead to bi polar depression. Yes I have been told this by DRs.
I know I am too honest and yes this may lead me to be judged more. I believe you need to declare who you are and be honest about yourself.
You don't get anywhere by lying.
If I would not have taken those shots I might not be alive today.
So you see we all have imperfections. What about you?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

By criticizing me for judging you, you are judging me. You are therefore breaking your own philosophy because judging is per se wrong and you are judging me.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek

How are you affording school?

More taxpayer subsidies?

The situation your friends are in is due in large part to their irresponsibility.

Tell them to act like adults, make more responsible choices, work hard, and their situation will improve.

Another question you never answered: Why dont you fund the construction of a housing complex and charge people based on what they can afford?

I am taking out loans for school that I must pay back. The last question is absurd you know I can't afford that. If I could I would do it right now!
If you can give me a loan since you are so rich I will find a property, buy it outright and do just what you suggested.
Are you ready to fund this for me?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

in a sense yes but it is ok because it is done out of humanly love not hate.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

So you are judging yourself, judging me, for judging you. This is again judging and is wrong per your personal philosophy.

link   

Nope, I wont fund you because it would be a very stupid and bad business decision.

Then again, you want others to pony up the cash to make that same bad decision.

Your friends are being irresponsible by adopting another mouth to feed, placing an added financial burden on them and as a result, on the taxpayers.

Pure stupidity.

link   
Why is it when I post anything about people who are low income I get a negative reaction? So many judgements. I do appericate the helpful comments but there is always a few people who just have to look down on the less forunate.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Then don't suggest something that is implausible. They have had this child since 3 months; it is tramuatic for a child to be uprooted. They love her very much.
It is not stupidity but love.
They have an income $1500 per month so they are doing ok as long as they get into low income housing. This was oked by the state. Plus they get $300 per month to pay them back for the child's expenses.

link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
I am not sure where to put this. I orginally put this in yahoo answers but got more judgements than helpful insights. It seems the people on yahoo answers are ignorant and lack the insight to truly understand.
I have searched on the internet for public housing rules. My friend is on unemployment and has a child under 3. She also has a finace who is disabled. She went in to apply for public housing and came up on the list very quickly. She listed every person in her household.
She goes in for her screening and learns she is only eligble for a one bedroom apartment. Her child is a foster child and must have her own bedroom. She is working to adopt her.
Her finace is an orthodox jew and does not believe in prematrial relations. He also does not believe in sharing a room with her until they are married. They asked for a three bedroom but get a one bedroom.
So she talks to someone there and they start asking her about very personal questions. They siad if they consider two unrelated adults a couple then they have to share the same room. They also do not give a child under 3 their own bedroom.
If I am correct three people can not occupy one bedroom. Of course she is still taking the one bedroom apartment but the front room will become her finace's bedroom.
They have to live together due to financal situation. Is there really such a lack of affordable housing that 3 people have to stay in one bedroom?
Why are public housing rules so hard to find until you go to the screening? Why doesn't the government build more public housing?
I am trying to find the information for her but I have to came too many dead ends.
Isn't this is a voliation of his religous rights?
I know the children's divsion for the child while take the child away if they find out about the situation. Everywhere they live they must have a home visit.
She explained the rules upfront with public housing and they said they deal with foster parent's all the time. Why don't these two agencies work together to make sure the family has sufficent housing?

I think I know what the issues are with this. Unless things have changed, Welfare / Section 8 doesn't recognize "fiance" as a spouse. SHE is being given a one bedroom because it has nothing to do with him. He isn't even a consideration on HER application for assistance. If the child is female, they will not provide another room for sure.

Section 8 isn't meant to provide a comfortable existence. It is meant as an emergency measure safety net for the welfare of the population. Though many people abuse it, it is not meant to be a "permanent" support crutch.

As stated before, the guy / fiance is not part of the equation at all and does not come into the process unless they are LEGALLY married.

Technically it was or is FRAUD if you have another person residing at that same address that isn't supposed to be there (such as a boyfriend with a job, etc.)

[edit on 9-6-2010 by infolurker]

link   

Here you go again, you are judging people for judging you.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Then don't suggest something that is implausible. They have had this child since 3 months; it is tramuatic for a child to be uprooted. They love her very much.
It is not stupidity but love.
They have an income $1500 per month so they are doing ok as long as they get into low income housing. This was oked by the state. Plus they get $300 per month to pay them back for the child's expenses.

link   

You came in here whining that your friends couldnt get the ideal place they wanted when it was being subsidized by the taxpayer.

Seriously, what do you expect?'

If they dont like what they can get (and should be thankful for), then can not get any assistance at all, and do it by themselves. Otherwise, tell them to shut up, and be happy with it.

link   

You may not have ever been exposed to the mindset, but they honestly, 100% believe that hundreds of years ago, an omnipotent creator came down from the heavens and gave them a set of moral laws to live by that, if followed, would grant them passage into an eternal paradise. Consider that they literally and honestly believe that with all of their hearts. He did not choose his religion just to be obstinate, He HONESTLY, TRULY BELIEVES THAT. It's not a matter of choice, if you believe something, you follow it. That's all.

Not that I'm questioning it myself- I'm a christian (ish)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Life isnt fair, and it certainly isnt the governments job to make it that way.

Have you ever heard of the Constitution, let alone actually read it?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join