It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd public housing rule that makes 3 people share one bedroom

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by keepithush

She can't afford a 2 bedroom market rate. I am going to quote AGAIN the foster care rules " Any child over the age 0f 2 must have his or bedroom seperate from adults living in the household; they can share with children of the same sex." Platte County Children's Divsion
Her child will be 2 in a few months. I will keep repeating this because now that he has decided to live seperately then the main issue is the child needs to have her own room. THIS is the main reason she is moving. Her case worker told her she needed to get a 2 bedroom. So now her lease is up and her finance is in flordia with his father. She is staying on my couch which temprary oked with the foster care divsion. It is crowded and there is not enough room.
She will be in the public housing unit in a few days but not sure if it will be a 1 or 2 at this point. Between the lawyer and the foster care case worker I am sure something can be worked out. The lawyer is a free lawyer so she is not really trying too hard so that is why we are all trying to find all the rules and laws ourselves.
Once I find the public housing rules I will let everyone know but i Have the foster care rules. I just got those yesterday.
You see how she is willing to revise her plan for her child? They aren't even going to live together so she can keep her. If she wanted a one bedroom she would have stayed where she was at in the first place. It was a very nice place.
Her finace who is very religous also firmly believes in not lying and follow the man made and god made rules. So he is getting seperate housing. He is really against living with her before marriage. My dad is an ordained minister and said he would marry them for free.
He is not Jewish but maybe they will think about that.
I am very proud of my friends for trying so hard, thinking about priorites and reorganizing as necessary. Yes they even took some ideas into account. So let's leave the religous aspect now because he will just be seperated from them for now but he is on the same public housng list.
The public housing told him that he could have a seperate bedroom for his dad and then the case worker suggested he get a caregiver. He really wants his dad to go to this retirement home that has on call nurses but I guess we will see.
I put myself out there for my friends because this situation came up in a meeting they had with the case worker. They were distraught and desperate for any and all answers. I feel I have gotten a lot more answers from here than yahoo answers but still feel a little judged. Oh well if I would not have done this my friend would not have thought about different county foster rules. Eventually the case worker would have brought it up but there were just a lot of unknowns in the begginning.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by dreamseeker]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I haven't read the other posts yet.

first off, in this recession, you should thank your lucky stars to get any public housing because in my area, it is a FIVE year wait, and that is for the people in emergency situations such as living in a shelter. Beggers can't be choosers.

Second of all, her fiances religious issues are that, HIS religious issues. Housing is only for the destitute. They are only worried about her. Housing is not there to provide homes for you AND your friends. Just the family in need. If he is not family, that is not their problem.

Secondly, housing is supposed to be temporary, and yes young children can share a room with you. And they should, it is safer.

So in this recession, tell your friend to stop being so picky about free housing, and her religious fiance can share an apartment with a nother male, or apply for his own housing.

I can tell you right now, I know a lot of families who are living in cars right now. Who would kill for even a one bedroom apartment.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

That comment was meant for someone else. I actually starred one of your posts because you had some good points.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I am going to quote AGAIN the foster care rules " Any child over the age 0f 2 must have his or bedroom seperate from adults living in the household; they can share with children of the same sex." Platte County Children's Divsion

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

By the way how is it free if you have to pay? She will pay 30% of her income. This is the way it should be in any apartment.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The rules they put in place generally work, but they can't work out for everybody.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Seanbomber

I have great faith it will work out for my friends since they good honest people. They have worked very hard and are willing to make scarfices. That was why I was suprised by some people's reactions.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

I believe you said your friend lives in Missouri correct ? If that's the case if she's willing to move to another location, still in Missouri, she can probably find an apartment that she can afford without public funding. I have a friend that lives in Missouri and he has a one bedroom apartment, in a brand new duplex, all utilities included for $500. a month
And his son, daughter in law, and granddaughter have a two bedroom cottage, all utilities included for only $550.-$600. a month.

If they have a combined income of $1,500 a month I'm sure they could afford those price ranges without any subsidies. Even if they paid $700. a month all on their own for an apartment that included all the utilities they would still have $800. a month for food, clothes, and nececcities.

One thing though, why don't they just get married and take away the need for three bedrooms ? If they're already engaged and living together and raising a child together, then they might as well stop waiting and get married.

Anyway if you want you can U2U me and I'll be happy to let you know what town my friend lives in and you or your friend can check out the rents and available apartments out there.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Yes. There is really such a lack of affordable housing that 3 people have to share one bedroom.

I know of a homeless person, literally completely homeless, who is elderly and is on a waiting list that may take one whole year.

The housing crisis left a lot of people homeless. Your friend should consider herself lucky she has the child, or she may not have even gotten a one bedroom so quickly.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
OP brings up a good point about this CONSPIRACY.

Really, it shows that the state does not cater to poor Jews / disabled. With Goyim foster children even!

It only shows that the powers that be are in cahoots with the Jews who control media and deny people 3 bedroom houses when they are on unemployment, disability, etc... etc.... This is precisely why were aren't hearing of this conspiracy on the mass media news outlets.

WAKE UP PEOPLE! THE CONSPIRACY GOES FURTHER THAN YOU KNOW.

OP, are you sure that your boyfriend (the jew) hasn't done something to offend the Jews who are in control of the NWO?

edit: seriously, what the hell does this have to do with conspiracy? Take this trash off of ATS.

OP, ever heard of putting a fold out bed in the living room?

[edit on 14-6-2010 by RestingInPieces]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
First off, I want to apologize if situations have changed from the first 13 pages of this thread, but I just couldn't read anymore without commenting... Quite frankly I'm not convinced this thread is not a social experiment for one of your psych classes, but I'll bite anyway.

Americans are some of the most caring and compassionate people on the planet. However, Americans are not tolerant of people who abuse the system, or are seen as being ungrateful, or not happy with the charities they receive. It is kinda like that whole, "don't bite the hand that feeds you" cliche. OP, you may think of me as judgmental, and quite frankly, I don't care--but along with my opinion, I will offer advice as well, if you bear with me.

You, at least by my interpretations, colored your friends as being ungrateful for what they have been given. As a world traveler, I think it is safe to assume that your friends, even in their current situation, have more than most in this world. For that alone, they should be thankful. The fact that it is given to them should make them even more thankful that they live in a country that would not allow them to suffer the fate they would elsewhere. That is something that the devout gentleman friend of yours should be acutely aware.

I understand and can appreciate the man's religious beliefs. If I am not mistaken, doesn't the government pay greater benefits when a couple is married? Not to mention, the tax benefits. If so, they should marry--in the cheapest, fastest, civil ceremony the government will recognize, just to get the extra benefit. If the concern is that God will not recognize the union, they do not have to consummate until they have made the arrangements for the ceremony of their choice. Aside from being legally recognized as married, nothing in their living arrangement needs to change to make this happen.

I know it is not what your friend wants, but I think she should give up the child. I know that sounds cold and heartless toward your friend...but, tough. The welfare of the child is more important than her "wants". There is no shame in not being able to afford to care for a child. The shame comes from robbing this child of its future by forcing it to live in poverty--assuming that no one does anything to change the situation that seems to have gone on too long. It is best that this be done before the child is so old that it will have the painful memory of this. The situation your friend is in will take many years to recover from, if she can ever recover--not fair to the child. If your friend is keeping the child for the childcare benefit, that isn't right. Not being judgmental, just being realistic, and painfully honest.

If your friend is up to the point of having to extend unemployment benefits, she has been unemployed too long. The longer you are unemployed, the harder it is to find someone to hire you. It leads one to think you have no ambition. I know that may sound judgmental to you because you seem hyper-sensitive to honest and frank opinion, but hear me out...

I was laid off last year, not from one job , but two. When I received the notice of my first lay-off, I applied for unemployment within the hour. Then, my new full time job became job hunting. I hunted for a job for a minimum of 14 hours a day, only leaving my computer to go to the bathroom or get food--no other breaks. Within a month, I found a job. I filled out applications and sent in resumes for every position from janitor to VP of manufacturing--I'm an engineer by trade. I'm not too good to be a janitor if it puts food in my kids' mouths, and I'm not to good to work 70 hours per week, if I need to.

That job lasted 6 months, and I was laid off again. So, I repeated everything I did in the previous paragraph. I'm sure I whined and complained, but I never acted as though the world owed me anything. Within 5 weeks, I found another job that paid considerably more than the one I had just lost. The draw back is that this job required relocation. I didn't want to move, but I had no choice but to take this job and relocate 1400 miles from my children (they live with my ex), but I am providing for them--despite of my selfish desire to live near them. Sometimes you have to sacrifice. Even in this economy, there are jobs to be found. They may not be under your nose, but they are there--and sometimes you have to go to them.

What I am trying to say is that your friend could/should make some decisions that she may not want to do--painful and hard decisions. The world isn't full of purple unicorns and magic fairies to care for you. Sometimes, you can't have everything you want, and you have to make decisions based on the greater good, regardless of how painful they might be. I know...I cry daily that I miss my children so much. But instead of damning the fact that I had to leave them, I am thankful I am providing for them--because that is what they deserve. I only deserve the life I can make for myself.

Instead of whining about how unfair the government is for not "giving" you (using the word "you" as a general term--not meaning you but your friend) something you feel entitled to--a 3 bedroom apartment. You should be thankful that the family is not busted up and living separated in barracks-style accommodations under forced labor conditions to pay for your keep, like was done in the past. Be thankful to not be part of the true third world where the sick and infirm are left to die, and women and children are left to fend for themselves.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I lived in Missouri for 7 years.... at one point I was buying one house and renting another, andstill was only paying $440 a month for them both....

MOVE TO A CHEAPER PART OF THE STATE.

you said that neither of them worked... their assistance will follow them

they are stupid for staying in an area thay cant afford

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ragtopdriver

This post is very judgemental. WHAT HAPPEND TO HER WAS CALLED THE RECESSION.
This is only a temproary problem. So I guess everyone who finds themselves tempoary poor should guve up their kids 100% never seeing them again.
She has been allowed to keep this child indefinitely until they find the father. It is called kinship care;it is when a person takes in a child who is either related or whom the child knows. They still have to go by the rules of the foster care system.
I hate how people don't read everything and assume too much. WELCOME TO THE RECESSION. They are very grateful but must go by the rules of the foster care system. She has worked hard all her life.
She is not on drugs; never has been; she does not sleep around. She never resorted to being a prosititue or stripper. She has played by the rules all her life and so has her finace. She worked 60 hours per week and paid $200 per week for child care. She worked for 5 years as a supervisor started out at $8 per hour. Over 5 years she made it up to $14/hour. She has a four degree in human resources/communications. She just graduated with a 3.89 in May of 2010. She actually got a huge raise after she got her associates to $10 per hour simply because she had an AA in business.
Now her friend was another story; she was willing to give up her child because she had severe mental problems. She could not handle taking care of her own child and had no job or any prospects. Her friend was her ex sister in law. My friend felt she needed to help her so she gave her a place to stay on her couch. Now it was crowded but her friend was on the housing lists as well. Her friend only stayed there for a week and then left my friend with the child at 3 months that was over a year a go.
Her friend gave up custody completely over to the state and left a lists of 6 guys who could be the father. So far 3 have been eliminated. Long story short I would expect people might say something about my friend's sister in law but not my friend!
My friend is 100% opposite. She had an interveiw today and in fact has a second interveiw. Everyone goes through rough patches. Where would I be if my parent's were forced to give up their kids when my dad was not working for a few months due to an injury.
That is ridculous that no matter how good of a person my friend is some people still judge and think bad of people who are in public housing.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kalisdad

I wander if it is allowed for her to move beyond this area. I know she can move as far as 2 counties away at least that is what her case worker told her last week.
As soon as the real father is located either she will adopt the child or the child will go to the father. More than likely the real father does not want the child.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Yeah, I am aware of the recession. If you read my post, you would have seen that I was a victim of the recession--not once like your friend, but twice last year. The difference is how I handled the loss of two full-time jobs in less than a year... I was very proactive at replacing my lost jobs. Sure, I could have stayed on unemployment, and bellyached about the raw deal I received, and thumped my chest about how much the world owes me because I have paid into the system. I could have stayed in the vicinity close to my kids and gambled on not finding a job, but who would that have served? It would have served me, and it would have been a big injustice to my kids, and I think more of them than that. It was more important to me to put my needs aside and show them what responsible adults do when they are in a jam--and to teach them that life isn't always fair, no matter how much we "wish" it were. Even though life isn't always fair, we all make choices that determine what kind of victim we are.

So, it looks as though you are looking for pity for your friends. If it is any consolation to you, I do pity them, but not the same way you do. Their circumstances are an absolute shame. Yes, I pity the situation and all involved. I pity them because they and apparently you also have somehow arrived at the belief that all of their needs are someone else's responsibility and I can explain to you until I die of exhaustion that you are wrong, but you will never be able to wrap your mind around that concept.

Government assistance will only take you so far. It is not meant to fulfill every want. It covers the very minimal basics--and that is all it should cover, otherwise, it will be a system that is begging to be abused more than it is now.

Hell, I'd like to live in a nicer place, drive a nicer car, eat better food, have money to do the things I would like to do. It is my responsibility to get those things for myself, and not look up the next rung on the ladder of success and damn the person above me to give me a hand just because I want it and think I deserve it.

Nothing wrong with wanting and wishing...good luck with that.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

like I said, I've lived in Missouri, and there is a huge differance in cost of living between the cities(STL, KC, Columbia, Jeff City) over the more rural areas... she could easily find something that accomidates the 3 bedroom requirement just 50 miles from KC.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I agree there are strange rules in any type of welfare.
I do not think our government needs more public housing, they need to help create jobs so people dont need welfare.

Amen to that

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
weird, different countries have different rules but this is defo one of the weirdest

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

i agree with you 100% i havent had a job in 3 years and i dont even go for housing or government aid i dont even ask for food stamps!!!! its not that hard to get a roof over your head and stay alive ffs! # i even have the internet where i live. well i guess it easy for me since my wifes uncles is a narco lord in mexico but still before i met her i wasi n the same posistion. i can understand the extra bedroom for the child and for her but if he isnt gonna sleep in a bed with her then he can sleep on the floor in the living room or in the dang couch and plus thats the stupidest thing in the world not sharing a room with your fiance because of a religion??? just because you sleep beside her doesnt mean you have to have sex with her or anything of the sort!!! im sorry to be so mean but this is a joke. and im sorry i couldnt help you. i just had to comment wheni read it.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

thats some bulls#@* my back is bad too i have a ruptured disc and 1 slipped disc and a bulging disc from motorcycle racing and other stuff. i need surgery i need alot of stuff for my body i have ripped cartiledge in my knees and some more stuff and i dont have disability i cant even sleep laying down my back hurts so bad i cant stand for more than 30 minutes nor sit for more than 45 minutes.... I cant get a job anywhere because of it cant get disability i cant get food stamps i tried last year i cant even get government aid because the person i live with gets a 2,000$ check everymonth! i think her fiance needs to suck it up like i have to and get a freaking job like i have to try to and then help her with the dang house problem this kind of stuff really burns me up!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join