It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd public housing rule that makes 3 people share one bedroom

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

So the bedroom doesnt have a door???

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

they are seen as a legal couple by the foster care system. They both are her foster parents.
He lives with his father in a nursing home. She lives in a one bedroom and was told by her caseworker she must move to a 2 bedroom. She could not afford a market rate two bedrroom apartment so her case worker suggested she apply for public housing.
She was placed on the list for a three bedroom and came up only months later.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rocketman70433

the one bedroom had a door for the couple. There is no bedroon for the child. NO ONE can use the front room as a bedroom; because that is a common area and it does not have a door.
She must have a 2 bedroom for a child over 2 which she will be 2 in a few months. You can't use a dining room as a bedroom, a front room, a storage room it must be a LEGAL bedroom with doors, one window and either a closet or dresser.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I really don't know what you expect people to tell you, housing is first come first serve.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I was thinking about becoming a foster parent but they have really been through a rough timel. I am not so sure anymore.
There are a lot of rules, red tape, home visits, going to court, going to classes and a whole packet a person has to pratically memorize.
Has anyone else ever been a foster parent?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

where they a legal couple when the child came in to the picture ?
where both unemployed when the child came in to the picture ?
where both living seperatly when the child came in to the picture ?

[edit on 11-6-2010 by zerbot565]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

She's up the creek without a paddle then. I know a lot of people who'd love to have kids, but their economic situation is too poor. Your friend is in that same boat. Time to call off the adoption, and help find the kid a good next foster home.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

I orginally I was looking for housing and zoning laws. I know it is illegal by zoning laws for three people to live in a one bedroom. I was also trying to find public housing rules. Between her and I we have done an internet search and have not found any updated usable information.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

You never had a child before have you? I am a psychology major this will tramuatic for her. She has been with them over a year. The foster care system allows them to keep her as long as they get a 2 bedroom.
She has a job interveiw by the way. She is trying.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565

where they a legal couple when the child came in to the picture ?
where both unemployed when the child came in to the picture ?
where both living seperatly when the child came in to the picture ?

[edit on 11-6-2010 by zerbot565]

No the child made them a legal couple.
No she had a job.
Yes they still live seperately; he lives in a nursing home with his father in flordia.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by dreamseeker]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

BY the way how is $1500 per month too poor. That would mean so many parents are poor in my area. LOL Plus she gets $200 per month to help with the child. They don't count that as income because it is to buy the child diapers,clothes or whatever else she might need. When you go apply for an apartment you must make 3 times the rent and they do not make enough to even qualify for a 2 or 3 bedroom anywhere.
Her benefits will be extended if she does not find a job; the person who helps with that told her.
She has been going to voc rehab. Applying for all the jobs that are available every week. There are not that many.
He applied to work sprint but will have to take an extended vaction when he gets surgery. He has to work from home or at a part time desk job, He can not drive because his legs go numb from severe back problems.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by dreamseeker]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

what do people do when the area they live in dont have jobs to provide nor housing at a reasonable price ?

they move to where its possible for them to live.

as silly as it may sound sometimes you have to look beyond the big cities and move out in to the country.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Wait, in order to rent an apartment they need to make 3 times the rent? Is this if they wanted to rent an apartment on their own, totally free of any government support?

If that's the case, she might want to talk to a lawyer. That might be a form of housing discrimination. As long as she makes enough to cover the rent, that should be all that matters.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by Annee

I don't really see it as ridculous when another family of three had a 3 bedroom townhouse in public housing.
What is wrong with wanting better for yourself?
They can go back to a two bedroom once they are married.
They aren't even allowed a two bedroom as of yet.

Uh - - because they are taking from the government. You didn't really just say that did you? Now - - this is what I meant about the attitude.

I understand they haven't been approved for a 2 bedroom.

I had a foster child. And the one thing I learned is - - FIND SOMEONE YOU CAN WORK WITH. You have to FIGHT for everything. You can not take NO for an answer. You hound them and hound them every single day. It is exhausting.

The 3 bedroom - needed because of religious reasons - in this situation is beyond ridiculous. She's lucky they gave her anything with that approach and attitude.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

The welfare system and the economic system is not designed to make people comfortable or help them get ahead. It is only there to oppress people and keep them down.

No extra room. No extra child. Skip that organic food and buy something cheaper. Non related people shouldn't exist together or help eachother and if they are they must be having sex, and therefore deserve less money and entitlements because there is two of them and they are having a relationship.

It's a cruel joke. And it will keep being played until people rise up and cast it off. But you don't have time to do that because you're too busy walking around in a daze from the bad food and depression filling out a constant stream of applications and forms and always being denied, or told to take less.

It's rule by consent. You want a three bedroom house. They say you can't have one. Don't have the money to buy one? Well you can't steal it. Get a job. And we're taking half your wage. So you'll have to borrow money to get a house, and we want you to pay us twice that back, even if it takes 30 years.

It's nothing but a trick. It's an illusion based on lies and paper. A prison you make for yourself.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocketman70433

She's up the creek without a paddle then. I know a lot of people who'd love to have kids, but their economic situation is too poor. Your friend is in that same boat. Time to call off the adoption, and help find the kid a good next foster home.

You can't be serious.

Rip the kid away from the only person and love he/she has known?

That is definitely not the answer.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

You can't be serious.

Rip the kid away from the only person and love he/she has known?

That is definitely not the answer.

Relying on the taxpayer to subsidize them definitely isnt the answer either.

Let them prove they really want to be a foster parent by placing the child in a different foster home until their economic situation improves and they can afford to provide for the child on their own.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by KINGKONG

Sorry to hear you've been through such hard times. I admire your attitude though - and I really hope things start improving for you soon. In my experience the bad times don't last forever - with the determination I can see in your posts, I know you and your family will get through.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

What is wrong with wanting better for yourself?

Absolutely nothing, if you're willing to work hard for it and get it yourself.

Okay, so your friend loves the kid and doesn't want to give it up - in that case she should be determined to do whatever it takes to keep that kid and improve her life. As I said before, she should be looking for work outside of the area she's in. She should be determined and willing to relocate anywhere if it means getting a job.

As for the current living arrangements, I don't understand why your friend can't sleep on a sofa bed in the living room, allowing the child to have the bedroom. Her boyfriend has somewhere to stay (with his father) - so what's the problem? Other people have survived far worse situations.

Edit to add - this is probably the last I'll say on this thread. I'm really hoping that the OP takes the advice we're trying to offer, but if not, there's nothing more for me to say

[edit on 12-6-2010 by tappy]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocketman70433
Then let the boyfriend & girlfriend use the living room as a bedroom & give the foster kid the 1 BR in the house. Problem solved.

BEST advice yet. Short, sweet, to the point, and spot on. You sir are a genius. Can't believe I didn't think of that!

BROTHER! That is not a government hand out if she still pays $500 per month.

Oh so she's no longer on unemployment?!

Ok then find me a three bedroom apartment in Clay or Platte County, Missouri that is under $600 per month. You can't find it because it does not exist!

I don't think you can find that anywhere.

Could you afford $900 a month for housing on $1500.

I've done it as well as MANY other posters here who have gone through MUCH worse. try reading more.

Another thing times have changed. You are being just like this ignorant people on yahoo answers. Once again I expect more from this site. I appreciate those who have the knowledge and compassion. For those of who continue to judge harshly shame on you!

The harshness of our posts are not because we don't care, their because you and your friends are spoiled and unreasonable.

[edit on 6/12/2010 by Arcane Demesne]

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join