It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Flying Cars Are Almost Here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Source

Flying to work instead of driving might become a reality. An aircraft construction company in the Moscow region claims to have made it possible with its latest development, Sigma-5.

Sigma-5 is a plane with enough propulsion to carry about 600 kilos of weight at a speed of nearly 300 kilometers per hour. At the same time, it is small and light enough to be parked and transported like a large car. What is more, any flat surface can be used as a runway for the vehicle.

With its novelty look and a price tag comparable to that of a luxury car, it has the potential to become a futuristic alternative to waiting out traffic jams across Europe.

Well, well, this is pretty awesome! Russia seems to be coming out with new technology alot these days.

Flying a car to work? Heck, why not? The price is about the same to a luxury car, so its not too expensive. I wonder how far this will be developed in 5-10 years?

I wonder what kind of fuel will be used?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a8c54faaac40.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It looks like a small airplane.

Here's a link

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Im looking around trying to find what company makes these. So far I havent found anything, all the articles just say its a Moscow based aircraft construction company. Itd be interesting to see what other tech has came out of the company.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
wow so cool...I wonder though, in lets say 20 years from now and more companies start building these "flying cars". And more and more people start buying them how will it be regulated when ur flying in the air, like street lights? or the the damages it would cause if a crash was to take place?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by xlovegunx

I wonder what new traffic laws with be made, and also how will it be with the people still driving regular cars.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

yeah definatly seems like a whole new set of rules and regulations would be made, they're still needs to be a lot of work done before these flying cars hit mainstream, imo.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
All this is, is a small hopped up ultralight.

There are already planes this small all over the place.. and yes, they are cheap, and you only need a drivers license to fly one.

They are called sport recreational planes. If you have a valid drivers license and can pass a simple operations and flight exam, you too can fly one of these. You do have to take a few classes on flying, you have to know the laws and can prove you can operate one safely. But it's a scaled down type of pilots license that is much easier to get than a regular pilots license.

However, you have to fly only during the daytime and only in certain areas. You may be able to go from New Orleans to Houston if you have the fuel but you have very strict guidelines to follow and cannot go above a certain altitude.

You cannot fly one to work. LOL I doubt in our time the government can solve the tons of nightmares associated with everyone wanting to fly from here to there.

Here is a good resource: www.sportpilot.org...

The planes look like any other normal regular plane only a little smaller.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Great 60 years ago when there was the space. but as the Urban sprawl has exploded, the fields have gone and estates build in their way.

Unless commuters are willing to sell their cars so they can fly 10 miles into work (assuming the weather is good and theres no Volcanic Dust in the way), they'll then have to contend with the other air-traffic also wanting the same airspace, aswell as making the rest of the commute into the city via public transport.

This Lightweight "aircraft" looked barely steady even in good weather, I cant seeing it doing well in the Winter or windy periods for inexperienced Pilots (or even those with hundreds of flights hours infact.) Again another idea that sounds good on paper but in reality is a flaw.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
There is nothing car like about that thing that I can see, it's just a very small aircraft

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I would think a "flying car" would have to be a pretty automated vehicle. Theres too many things to account for flying in urban areas.

A vehicle with vertical takeoff and landing would make more sense because of not needing "runways".

If I owned a flying car I'd probably have a huge temptation to trespass into certain areas.

and imagine all the drunk flyer accidents that would happen since you just need to attend an orientation and have a valid drivers license....

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The thing I always wonder is, what about terrorist attacks. It would be pretty easy to fly into any building you want with a flying car. There would need to be some kind of new protection for buildings, or sensors on buildings so when a car come to close it has to fly away or something automatic like that. If they just let cars fly, there will be a lot of deaths.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I see a small airplane that doesn't resemle a car in the least. The Boeing 737 is a flying bus anyway, so they're kinda late to the party.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
don't hold your breath.

Originally posted by buni11687
Source

Flying to work instead of driving might become a reality. An aircraft construction company in the Moscow region claims to have made it possible with its latest development, Sigma-5.

Sigma-5 is a plane with enough propulsion to carry about 600 kilos of weight at a speed of nearly 300 kilometers per hour. At the same time, it is small and light enough to be parked and transported like a large car. What is more, any flat surface can be used as a runway for the vehicle.

With its novelty look and a price tag comparable to that of a luxury car, it has the potential to become a futuristic alternative to waiting out traffic jams across Europe.

Well, well, this is pretty awesome! Russia seems to be coming out with new technology alot these days.

Flying a car to work? Heck, why not? The price is about the same to a luxury car, so its not too expensive. I wonder how far this will be developed in 5-10 years?

top topics

join