It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

BREAKING: Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed

gawker.com

Apple has suffered another embarrassment. A security breach has exposed iPad owners including dozens of CEOs, military officials, and top politicians. They—and every other buyer of the cellular-enabled tablet—could be vulnerable to spam marketing and malicious hacking.

The breach, which comes just weeks after an Apple employee lost an iPhone prototype in a bar, exposed the most exclusive email list on the planet, a collection of early-adopter iPad 3G subscribers that includes thousands of A-listers in finance, politics and media, from New York Times Co. CEO Janet Robinson to Diane Sawye
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

How is the IPAD-loving MSM going to cover this one. This is huge! Could be just as bad as Google's breach. Imagine the people that own Ipads... I would think that most be would wealthier people, with status. So these people's security has been breached.

This could be absolutely huge. Sell Apply stocks now...

So much for Apple being hack-proof

gawker.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Portugoal]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Ok, I don't have one of the creatures. Can you explain how this would be bad, for people like me?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Ok, I don't have one of the creatures. Can you explain how this would be bad, for people like me?

Because they would have to kill you if you knew what they were doing on their ipads.

I'm not sure if I'm making a joke or being serious.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Well read the article. IPads compromised include the military's, MSM, Google, Amazon, Microsoft
(WHAT?), AOL, Department of Justice, NASA, Department of Homeland Security, FAA, FCC, and National Institute of Health, among others. Dozens of employees of the federal court system also appeared on the list.

That's how huge it could be.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
It's a false flag! Apple machines never get hacked. Only Windows machines. That's what the Mac versus PC commercials say. Seriously, I expect the mainstream media to overlook this incident.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

I am being serious. Why do any of us need and I-pod? Is it for music, or what?

I made a bundle when I visited my daughter up north, and my daughter, and her friends, had to have I-Pod cozies..........lol, I kid ya not. I'm like, ok...............LOL sure! Nope, I am not that old! Just creative! LOL!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
HAHA!!! This is just hilarious. This is just another nail in the coffin being built around AT&T's so called secure network. It seems to me that their idea of security is bandaids and bubblegum, because they are compromised more than any other telcomm carrier.

But to carry on with the question above, Joe iPad user really doesnt have anything to worry about. This breech was actually not that bad. It did expose a flaw in the network security system and contact information was collected. However, thats about it. So, the compromised accounts will probably see a short burst of ad spamming, but thats about it. No personal data was collected so the actual user is not compromised. I suppose people know more about how much money the government is putting into Apple these days, based on the divisions owning them, but we already know they are most adept at blowing tax dollars unnecessarily.

Remember, the i-Devices do not work like normal computers. They are based on a whole different technology and connectivity system.

I have refused to go buy an iPad until they run at least 6 months free from threat, but I do plan to get one eventually. I will just be glad when Verizon gets options on accounts and I can peel away from the evil AT&T Juggernaught.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
See, I have a funny feeling right, that at some point in the near future there will be a staged exposing of a secret elite that have been pulling the strings behind the scenes.

Iv`e recently noticed some things indicating I may be right. Such as, the EU inviting Daniel Estulin to speak about the Bilderberg`s agenda
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also, the fiasco with the oil leak, and that actor James Fox revealing that there are arrests taking place when people talk to reporters or take any pictures near the leak. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now, if this Ipad carry on will expose sensitive info about certain people high up in global politics, it furthers my suspicions that we may be about to witness a false exposure of a hidden elite. Just imagine it...

The oil tycoon are brought to account for crimes,the bilderbergers are exposed, then you have the EU and UN stepping and making it look like they are getting rid of all the corruption and bringing about a whole new world order just to make it look like they are averting the new world order we all talk about on ATS, but, in actual fact it`s all done for the benefit of those of us that are aware of the new world order.

Yes, it`s very comspiritorial i know, verging on tin foil hat, but think about it, it certainly isn`t beyond the realm of possibilities is it?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Good! Serves all the dimwits right for buying this product. It doesn't even have a friggin' USB port! I'm waiting for an open source alternative. I think a dozen or more will be out by end of year.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This is exactly why I don't buy stuff like that.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I don't understand. All of those smug Apple ads have assured us that their products are completely hack-proof and fool-proof. How can this be?

For my part, I'm laughing at them. I'd never buy anything that company made, just on principle.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I'm guessing Apple has software like Itunes which is like a wma folder where you store music/folders. And when plugged into the computer you drag+drop into the harddrive of the Ipad itself.

The Ipad names could themselves have an attached ISP number to which hackers could find out what folders those users have on their system.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: Those who bought into the Bleeding edge tech of the Ipad just got Ipwnd!
Should Apple rename its product to I'vebeenhad?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Explanation: Coffee jogged my memory and it is both sad and unfortunate that threads like these ...

ATS on an iPad ... Perfecto! [ATS]

... might have induced other ATS members to fall for such a FAIL!

Personal Disclosure: I sure hope that ATS and the Amigo's security [especially SO due to his public admission of owning an iPad ] is not compromised in any way by this turn of events.

Edited for spelling and gramma. :shk: sigh!

[edit on 9-6-2010 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
the IPAD CONSPIRACY LOL

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
My Fiancee is pretty high up in the company at AT&T, and there is a lot of confidential company information that he won't share even with me.

I read an article regarding apple, too, that was on cracked.com. Though it was a humorous article, it had really serious undertones.
5 Reasons You Should Be Scared of Apple

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by black cat
It's a false flag! Apple machines never get hacked. Only Windows machines. That's what the Mac versus PC commercials say. Seriously, I expect the mainstream media to overlook this incident.

Oh really? www.itwire.com...

If anything Apple's are less secure than PCs...but no one hacks them because no one owns a Mac...higher levels of ownership = more hacking.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
Well read the article. IPads compromised include the military's, MSM, Google, Amazon, Microsoft
(WHAT?), AOL, Department of Justice, NASA, Department of Homeland Security, FAA, FCC, and National Institute of Health, among others. Dozens of employees of the federal court system also appeared on the list.

That's how huge it could be.

What a sensationalist tone....

So let's examine what was compromised...

Email address... ok... potential for spam.... potential for very targeted phishing even...

Solution? Be vigilant as always... maybe change your email.

The ID associated with your SIM card..... I'd expect apple to have an exchange program soon to right this issue...

There may be some good details for a targeted attack... but from a group calling themselves goatse security? Really? I wouldn't expect any real harm to come from this.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Keep in mind... an Apple was not hacked... and believe me... most hackers are running macs... so if they could be hacked they would be hacked...

What was however hacked, was a server ran by AT&T.... Most likely this WAS NOT a mac...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join