It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snakes may be in decline worldwide: study

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Snakes may be in decline worldwide: study

www.abc.net.au

Distinct populations of snake species have crashed over the last decade, raising fears that the reptiles may be in global decline, according to a study.

The pattern across the eight species monitored was alarmingly similar despite their geographical isolation, which points to a common cause, say researchers.

Factors thought to play a role include climate change, habitat loss, pollution, disease, lack of prey and over-exploitation, either for food or trade.

The study showed that of the 17 snake populations in Britain, France, Italy, Nigeria and Australia, 11 had dropped off sharply ove
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.discovery.com
www.abc.net.au

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Shocking Reality of Modern Day Extinction.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Since I recently grow an interest in extinction in this age and time, I was shocked by what I found .

I'm no Greenpeace guy even an Eco / Green label wouldn't fit me.

After I learned what the possible effect were from the dissapearence of only one key species and the effects of its return. ( Google Wolves of Yellowstone parc. ) I'm worried about species dissapearing from our world.
Now I read, Snakes are next ?!

Whatever works from the foodchain down, can also happen from the bottoms up.

Please people realize every animal extinct because of human interference is one to many. Problems for the future are unknown but are a certain fact. As more species die out I assume the effcts will essentially expand exponentially.

The missing snakes probably also eat rats and mice. Unless we start appreciating a ratburger... These animals could destroy entire crops and cause famine. ( Just one example of a possibile problem ).

Wake up ! Please ...? For our children and our childrens children.

Kind regards

~ SK

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This doesn't concern me very much.
Snakes are resiliant.

When the continents separated they brought forth new breeds.
Thats where the term old world snake (pythons,boas etc) and the term the new world snake comes from (corn snakes and others that popped up after they separated)

They are so resiliant that in fact there is a species that got stuck on an island where the only food was birds.
Since they could only feed on certain sizes at certain times of the year there was a threat they might not make it.
Guess what that breed of snake did??
It changed colour from brown to black in order to get more heat therefore speeding up digestion which in turn made them be able to eat more and survive there afterall.
Snakes have been here for a long time and will probably be here after we are gone in my opinion.

The tiger snake bucked the *trend* for a reason.
If its natural selection then lets let nature decide on its own which ones make it.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Besides all the reasons in the OP, we have ... this cat.

"bad Kitty " + "can't we all just get along?"

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Snakes are interesting, I'll give you that, but, I am completely freaked out by them. Goes way back to the days, I let my cat in at night from the outside without turning on a light, to realize she brought a live one in my house.

While I would like to say, that I don't want to see them extince, my reasons would be only to say that many of them are great rat catchers!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

How funny! I was just typing my experience with my cat and a snake just before!

Also, where I lived in Louisiana, they have tree snakes, and I have had a few fall outta them, right next to me.......those are also called chicken snakes. Some, get to be enourmous, too!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Actually this is sad for the snakes.
Since I have a severe Ophidiophobia (snakes phobia) that is a great news for me !

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

All humor aside, snakes are nice, and our sweet domestic pet friends do tend to whomp on them...I bet I could find 20 videos depicting such on youtube, but I doubt the OP would appreciate me hijacking his thread with cat versus snake carnage....

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I have owned a few snakes in my time...old world and new world snakes.
They are very very aware creatures to say the least.
I had one snake that I trained to poop on a towel before she got handled which was something she actually really liked.
They are harmless if you educate yourself on their behavior.

Sometime within the last year I attempted to rescue one(which eventually died) that was found in a parking lot near where I live.(Northern watersnake)
He struck once from being startled and was calm as hell after he realized I was no threat.
He did crap on my buddy tho which is exactly why I had mine trained to poop on a towel and not me.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

that is bad news. I have always been fond of snakes since childhood. They are beautiful and dangerous creatures and very very innocent. Wish I could do something about this.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
snake poop smells so foul
it may be the worst smelling poop ever

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Thank you for your thoughts

As I appreciate your opinion, don't take my stance personal. You just wrote what IMO is,
The biggest problem in the world today.

This doesn't concern me very much.

Why does it not concern you very much ? The snakes from your examples evolved and did so in a natural habitat. Lets think concrete for a while. So the snake turns gray...
Could be but us humans don't like to bee around snakes very much. They get killed.

I've heard of your examples and I think it is remarkable. I do not want to imply extiction is nessesarrily a bad thing. I think it is, if it is because we destroy its habitat and its prey.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
When I was in high school (In Louisiana) we used to go down to the local swamp to catch crayfish for a big crayfish boil later that evening, drinking beer out of a tub full of ice, that gradually got filled with crayfish.

The beer was important--to blunt any fear of snakes, while we waded out in waste deep water to fetch our nets, with lots of snakes including water moccasins swimming between our legs. There were zillions of snakes there, sometimes eight sunning themselves on a single log. I still have nightmares about that place; it was some sort of snake heaven (or hell).

We also had lots of snakes around our property. Our dogs (Labrador retrievers), which were great for duck hunting, periodically got bitten by either water moccasins or copperheads (both poisonous), and their heads would swell up to the size of basketballs. But in those days, no body ever went to the vet. They were sick for a few days and got over it.

The closest I ever came to being bitten was when I stepped on a coiled water moccassin, which bit the rubber toe of my Keds tennis shoe, and scared the living Bejeesus out of me. I have a healthy respect for snakes, and am sad to hear that their population is declining. They add an element of danger to any outdoor adventure.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Angiras]

CX

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I spend a lot of time in the forest with my kids and we were saying just the other day that we had not seen any snakes around for years.

Luckily here in the UK we don't have any to really worry about apart from getting a nip from an adder.

CX.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I guess I have no problem with snakes, really, as long as they are not in my space.

They should be allowed to wander, but, once again, not in my space. I've never gone out snake hunting.

I will tell you, that while extinction is bad, I'm not all for it.

Had a dog killed from a scorpion sting in AZ.

We need refuge, for all these critters that offend us, so much!

I don't want to see them dead, I just don't want them, near me!

I'd also like to say, that my landlord caught a coral snake, just near my dorr the other day. Those are some pretty lethal snakes. Pretty to look at, but I don't want them anywhere near where I live, or my pets, or family members. Not sorry for saying so, either.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Well... I don't really have a profound attitude towards snakes. I just don't like them to disappear.
Anyway...

I love cats.
Cats will kill or hurt a snake. Not destroy the environment it lives in.
Nice video tho.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Humans mess with nature but forget nature is alot more powerful as my examples have pointed out.
They are strong and resiliant so I don't really worry about them much...they have taken good care of themselves for millions of years without the help of humans.
I just can't get all gloom and doom about snakes dissappering because I know what they are like.
They want to be left alone...sometimes you are lucky to see one.

Another thing I got from that article was there was no mention on how we humans have helped with whats going on by the pet trade.
How many of those females have been wild caught for breeding for people looking for an exotic animal?
That one fact left out means alot to me and I feel it could be relevant.
Whats in the wild and whats in the pet industry.
Also another thing is that snakes are hiders...how many are hiding that they never got to see?
My python NEVER wanted to be seen so he would hide all day and come out when I slept.If I got up to hit the bathroom he was gone.

No worries...I am not taking anything personally,this is just a friendly chat.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by St-Patrick

I can imagine you feel like this.

Then remove the snake part and replace it with the Iberian Lynx.
There are only a few left. Compared to the lynx the snakes have much better prospects.

Reply to post by Blanca Rose

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

If you liked that one, I will venture to post this python versus tiger episode...

I love all that old-style Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom flavor, I was a happy little kid watching such, back in the day...

[edit on 9-6-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Just the wording alone is suspect; distinct populations of snakes may be in decline. What the hell does that mean? They MAY be?!!!! Are they or aren't they?

Oh I see now, "climate change" (used to be "global warming").

Peace

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Dr Love]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join