It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Eyes..................

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Sometime ago I registered to become Internet Eyes.............Intrige took over me! - Reward £1000 for looking at a camera and catching some "shoplifter"

interneteyes.co.uk...

Did the register bit!

CRIME BUST ... FROM YOUR SOFA
Story Image

Bizarre initiative means anyone could be a security guard

Wednesday October 7,2009
By Leah Simpson for Express.co.uk

Comment Speech Bubble Have your say(0)

ORDINARY members of the public could soon earn their monthly wage – just by keeping an eye on their neighbours.

In a controversial plan, set to launch in November, people could grab a grand simply by watching CCTV footage from the comfort of their own sofa.

Punters who fancy themselves as an amateur crime buster only have to subscribe to live video streaming in order to gain access to footage direct from cameras planted in shops and other businesses.

In an eerie twist, to the scheme which resembles a video game – if viewers see a crime in progress, they can press a button to alert store detectives and collect points worth up to £1,000.

Internet Eyes founder James Woodward said: "This is about crime prevention.

"CCTV isn't watched, it isn't monitored, and not enough cameras are watched at any one time.

"What we're doing is we're putting more eyes onto those cameras so that they are monitored".

But civil liberties activists say they would be appalled if the system, hosted by the Internet Eyes website, does in fact go ahead.

They argue that the design urges community members to compete against each other for winnings – something that will ultimately leave a fragmented nation.

Charles Farrier from No CCTV said: "It is a distasteful and a worrying development.

"This is a private company using private cameras and asking private citizens to spy on each other. It represents a privatisation of the surveillance state."

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Waited and waited for the set up .....................and today got this!!!

Dear Internet Eyes Member,

I am writing to you as I would like to thank you for your continued support throughout the last 6 months and to update you on some exciting developments at Internet Eyes. As a business dealing with sensitive subject matter, that is personal data and human rights legislation, it is imperative that our systems and processes adhere to stringent principals laid down in law. After communicating with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO), we are delighted to let you know they have no objections to the service, provided we comply with certain conditions including:

1. All viewers need to be verified to confirm their Identify and their age. This will take the form of a simple and seamless re-registration which may include additional information such as a driving license or passport number.
2. To prevent voyeurism and potential abuse of our system and the data we will be streaming, a membership fee will have to be charged for access to the service.

This final point was not taken for commercial reasons but simply to comply with ICO requirements. Payment of a membership fee helps identify viewers and also acts as a barrier to entry for those who otherwise may use the service irresponsibly. However to compensate, we feel it would only be fair to offer this revenue back to you by way of an increased reward fund each month.

As a registered Viewer, your opinions are really valuable to us as it helps us determine how we grow and develop the service. We are also very aware that you the viewer needs to be involved in the level of the pricing that is set for the membership of the services. To achieve that objective, we have tabled some questions that we would like you to return as soon as possible but no later than 15th June. As you respond to the questions please bear in mind it is the requirement of the ICO that a fee is charged.

Summary............FARCE - Driving Lic No or Passport No along with a FEE

You tell me??

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Wow.

What a great way to get people to rat on each other.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Hello,

Another way to expand government putting it's people in separate corners, against each other. All the while, the government gets it's nose where it doesn't belong; in private affairs.

How about the government start sharing what it considers private/national security/plausible deniability?

Why not just do a citizen's arrest when the opportunity presents it's self?

That won't cost you a dime, and will give you a sense of doing the right thing.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by At0mZer0

Yeap.......................Could not believe it...............Unsubscribed straight away!!

I thought the idea was good at first as, No personal info was required

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

Im sure a terrorist would pay for access or similar.

Food for thought thats obviously not been eaten by the numpty that thought this one up.

Or maybe it has, given that you need to provide information that is valuable to business.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
We should all do this on rotation.

Make sure when ever there is 100k people outside, there is AT LEAST 100k people online watching them.

Then we'll get them use to turning their neighbors into proper authorities.

Privacy? What's privacy? Peoples safety is at stake!

(sarcasm)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by At0mZer0

To be honest the advert was a pull in ............"got time on your hands" - want to earn money"!

Did enroll and was caught on the fishing line!............NUMPTY THAT I AM! (Okay I can only say that about me.....lol)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

Hiya Vesta...it's an inspired business model. They could have hundreds of people watching internet CCTV to catch shoplifters to get their rewards....for no pay!

Instead of employing staff to monitor the cameras at £5.00 an hour, they could do it all for free. Imagine 100 stores employing 100 staff at £250 per week. That's £25 000 a week. The site could make a great profit from their contracts with the stores. The stores could cut staff, overheads, insurance etc

The camera owners will then feedback on the result of the alert. Feedback is converted into points and credited to the Viewer's account on a monthly basis. The user name of Viewer's who have made the best contribution to the prevention of crime or to securing evidence of crime will be published in a"Thank You List" at the end of each month unless the Viewer has elected to remain anonymous. The highest scoring Viewer will also receive an award to the value of £1000, which will be paid into the Viewer's bank account in Europe on verification of identity and age. This fee will be split in the event of a tie.
Internet Eyes

You could earn 'points' and a chance of getting an 'award' worth £1000?! WTF? It's just being a security guard who only gets paid if they catch someone.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Thanks for the reply............ I did try with the post hope it was better than the other one!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

You're on the automatic S&F list anyway

I enjoyed your OP and can't work out whether these guys are cowboys or geniuses. I'll be talking about the interneteyes site at work tomorrow so that's a good thread

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Hi Kandinsky did you chat at work about it?...........Not sure of the Company, did try some research

new topics

top topics

join