It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seti Program Issues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Ok I started it yesterday and left it on all day... it was taking forever to complete one unit (don't know if that is the right word) Anyway, I walked away from the computer for about 5 minutes and came back and the icon in my taskbar had multiplied by about 10, there were literally 15 icons there. It was weird. So anyway, I closed to program completely and went to do some things. I came back and the entire taskbar was full of them. I uninstalled the program, reinstalled it and tried again. I'm still getting the same thing.. Any hints on what is wrong with this thing???

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
It never happened to me i don't know what could be wrong. Maybe somehow you keep opening the program multiple times or something.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
That has never happened to me either and I have been running SETI at home for a couple of years now. Are you saying the little green RADAR dish shows up several times on your taskbar to the right?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I just checked the SETI FAQ page on the SETI site, and they have this to say

Why do a bunch of green SETI@home icons sometimes accumulate in my system tray?

In newer versions of Windows, if the screensaver is killed via CTL-ALT-DEL or some other "hard" closing mechanism (typically a crash of some kind), the SAH process still tries to access the graphical application, and unfortunately plants an icon in the system tray _before_ it realizes the app's dead, then keeps repeating the attempt ad nauseum. Moving your mouse over the system tray will make the icons disappear. No performance problems or otherwise. Again, it should only happen if the screensaver app gets killed in an unnatural way

hope this helps

( here's the link to the FAQ page

setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu... )

[edit on 10-6-2004 by pantha]

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
ok but even after a reboot nd not starting the program at all it keeps happening, but if there's not performance problems with it I guess it's no big deal... Thanks

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
same tyhing happened to me a while back, of course i was messin wit my computer changin registry and all, just to see what it would do. i think i just uninstalled and reinstalled and it worked fine. i think. if that doesnt work, computers find sledgehammers very persuasive.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
yeah I'm thinking of using my PC as a doorstop or a paperweight... maybe a shotput? Thanks guys you've all been very helpful

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I'm still having these same issues and its driving me crazy, they are all over the bottom of the screen. I held my mouse there for about 5 minutes before they all went away. I'm about to give up, can anyone help me out here.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
If the graphical (screensaver) version is giving you fits, uninstall it and run the Command-line version. It is faster, but not very interesting to watch and does not function as a screen saver. It just runs in a little DOS window. You can start whenever you want, minimize it if it gets in your way, and manually kill it when you need your CPU power for something else. I always have mine running on the taskbar and even forget to turn it off when I burn CDs or play a game; I rarely notice it.

You can download the MS Windows version here.

Check out the ATS SETI@Home index for more information and tips. There is at least one CLI thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Ok still having this issue, my concern is, is it still running in the background of my computer? I have at least 25 icons if not more running on my taskbar, is it taking my computers memory?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
hi kaoscreator, from what I gather from the answer I posted from the SETI site, it is just purely an icon that repeatedly gets added to your taskbar in error, it doesn't mean that you have mulitple applications of seti running, and as the program takes a back seat when you are doing other things with your pc, it shouldn't effect performance in anyway.
I have my SETI@home set up to always run in the backgrond, and don't actually use it as a screen saver as the graffics can actually slow it down. I have my screensaver in my desktop properties just set to run blank after 1 minute instead.
I'm certainly no expert on the technical side of all this, but I think that perhaps that may solve your problem?
Or else as spectre suggested , running the Command line version is another option although I've not checked it out myself.

new topics

top topics

join