It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I live in Mississippi, and had to run to the store about an hour ago. As I passed the highway, there were 3, yep, count 'em 3 boarder patrol vehicles on a ramp, around 1 car. This was at the Woolmarket exit to the highway.

I could not pause, to see exactly what was going on, because traffic was behind me, but, they are not getting into other states, easily.

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I would not be surprised if other states soon follow suit. Maybe not all the states, but there are some who will not be brow beaten into feeling guilty for enforcing US laws.

Just do the paperwork, people. I know it sucks, but if you want to be a US citizen, if you REALLY want to be a US citizen, its worth it. If you dont really want to be a citizen, and you are just here to get what you can while the getting is good, we owe you no loyalty, you are breaking our laws, and you gots to go.

There are no "half" Americans. You either commit, and become one of us, or stay where you feel more attached.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

I just hope Mexico doesn't take an interest in your state, and decide for an all out attack- I mean- 'accident'. I dunno why, but I just get this feeling....

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I'm hoping that the companies who had people not show up for work are going to be alerting the IRS to the fact the SSNs being used were fraudulent.

We'll I wouldn't wager on it...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
There are no "half" Americans. You either commit, and become one of us, or stay where you feel more attached.

Actually there are people in the US legally that are not citizens. Resident aliens have almost every right that a citizen has but they can't hold government jobs, vote or run for office. They don't get a US passport either. They remain citizens of their country but reside in the US.

Then there are the temporary work visas handed out which means people are allowed to enter and work for a short time (harvest time) then they head home.

Can't blame them for not having the attachment you expect but most do appreciate the chance.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Personally I would welcome it - anything that shows that corrupt nation in its true light is worth any short term aggravation they may cause us.

If they decide to take revenge on the Border Patrol over the recent killing of 2 Mexican citizens, and kill some agents in return, then the response will be swift.

I rely on the stupidity of those involved to seal their own fate - if they turn violent on us, the Feds will have no option but to support effective border controls - and in the end, that's all we are asking for.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Awesome reply.

I said last week, the best place for border patrol to hang out would be at Wal-Mart, customer service, or the money services desk, as I have learned some have them now.

On any Friday, border patrol could have there pick of any numerous amount of illegals, sending money home. Can't speak English, have money?

Show proof of citizenship.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The Bill isn't aimed at 'landed immigrants' since landed immigrants aren't illegal. The government knows about them. The issue is illegally entering the States and enjoying all the benefits and more of the American Dream while Americans get shafted.

If you're in the States legally, I don't see any reason a person should leave. The Bill isn't about race and being targetted unfairly. Racial profiling happens regardless of this bill's existence. It's about upholding the law.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
The Bill isn't aimed at 'landed immigrants' since landed immigrants aren't illegal. The government knows about them. The issue is illegally entering the States and enjoying all the benefits and more of the American Dream while Americans get shafted.

If you're in the States legally, I don't see any reason a person should leave. The Bill isn't about race and being targetted unfairly. Racial profiling happens regardless of this bill's existence. It's about upholding the law.

Well if a person is in the states legally, children of illegals for example, they would leave with their illegal parents. Also if your significant other is illegal you would probably choose to leave with them. Maybe someone whose spouse is ineligable due to something in his or her past. In the case of homosexual partners there would be no way to sponser your partner if he or she is illegal.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

I would hazzard a guess (that I feel is accurate) that the "legal" Hispanics "fleeing" the state are direct family members of legal Hispanics. Since the majority of this census came from school districts, it's safe to assume many legal children (by birth) moved away with illegal family members.

The News will say "many legal Hispanics flee persecution", whereas in reality if you were an adult legal Hispanic citizen and had no illegal family members with you, you'd be a complete moron to run away.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Fang

Yes employers that hire illegals can face sanctions. The problem is that the Feds don't do their jobs, if they did the states wouldn't have to do it for them. As long as they don't face any retribution for hiring illegals, they will keep doing it.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Isn't the bill for Massachusetts on illegal immigrants coming down on the employers and not just the illegals? I know Rhode Island was trying.

That is a necessary step that states should all take. Hold employers accountable!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
If all states cracked down, now just 20 of them, then America's immigration problem would be solved and Arizona would forever be seen as the agent of change. At that point, the conservatives would not let you forget that fact.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
That's a little strong surely? They are entitled to their point of view. As I asked in my previous post, are there no sanctions against employers who take on illegals with no SSN?

Yes, there are provisions that could result in severe punishments for businesses that hire illegals--as there should be, in my opinion. In a sense, the businesses that hire illegals contribute more to the problem than the illegals themselves do.

My guess would be that a large part of this "exodus" of illegals is due to tougher penalties to employers. Many of the illegals might be forced back because businesses that once would have hired them aren't going to touch them with a ten-foot pole now. I'd like to see a statistic showing how many Hispanic small-business employees have been let go in the last month. That would be telling info.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It should be interesting to see which ethnic minority you all hate next - once the level of hispanic immigrants drops sufficiently of course.

Maybe you'll go for the Chinese next eh?

Or perhaps anyone that lives in a trailor?

Or maybe anyone that local news outlets and politicians wish to target?

That's the beautiful thing about Nationalism and Fascism - it's all so predictable.

Parallex.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

Trust me, politicians want to part of this--if they had, these immigration issues would have been handled decades ago.

Also, there is absolutely no mention of race or origin anywhere in the AZ immigration bill. The law would apply to anyone of any nation in the world. I would guess a Caucasian with a foreign accent might be asked for proof just as easily if they were breaking the law.

About the only thing I could agree with in your post was that Fascism is predictable--you are very right about that, but I don't see what that has to do with this thread.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek
Nothing wrong with this at all!

Now we just need the other 48 states to follow suit. (No chance in hell of it ever happening in California)

Its already listed in the Penal Code of California 834b. The problem is that its not properly enforced.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Nothing to do with race kid.

Nice troll attempt though

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Easy to say when you don't live here. There are plenty of Asians and other ethnic groups. No one has a problem with them. Why? Because they have learned the balance between keeping their culture and living in America.

I deal with all sorts of ethnic groups. No one else comes in and demands that we speak their language. They either come with their own translators, or they speak English.

My county is a staging area for refugees. No one has a problem with them, because they came through legal means through rescure organizations. YOu want to meet a real destitute group, they are frightened and emaciated people, who hide with their eyes down behind their sponsers. All you want to do is hug them and feed them and tell them it will be ok.

IN the past four years my car has been vandalized 4 times. Alll by latin people. Not a Chinese person, or Eastern Indian, or middle eastener. One idiot lived 20 feet away. He couldn't even bother to go to the next parking lot over to break into our car.

The people who live in AZ are not lying. I lived there for a couple of years. If it is not bolted down, it is stolen. I even had a coworker come in one day after someone stealing cheap solar powered lamps out of the front yard. I mean really, what are you going to do with those?

The one time we had our car broken into, all the cops did was tell us to go the local latin community and check the pawn shops to get our stuff back. The police officers were latin btw.

Here is a perfect example of why Americans get resentful. A year ago my husband and I went to the mall. For some reason it was insanely busy and not a parking space to be found. We waited in a line of cars for spaces to open. Two latin families walked out to their cars. They looked at the line of cars, smiled a poop eating grin, got into their cars and then laid the seats back.My husband said something to them about their ignorance. We later came out of the mall to find out back window smashed out.

That is why.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I am a legal Hispanic living in Arizona and I know many others like my self.
I have not heard any talk of legal Hispanics deciding to leave. the majority is in support of the new law. Typically the illegal supporters are family members with illegal relatives. Like someone else pointed out most legals leaving are anchor babies/children.

It frustrates me when illegal supporters play the race game. After all a large percentage of the cops and boarder patrol I see around here are Hispanic.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by ParaShredder]

[edit on 9-6-2010 by ParaShredder]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join