It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

www.usatoday.com

Arizona's tough new immigration enforcement law is fueling an exodus of Hispanics from the state seven weeks before it goes into effect, according to officials and residents in the state.
Though no one has precise figures, reports from school officials, businesses and individuals indicate worried Hispanics — both legal and illegal — are leaving the state in anticipation of the law, which will go into effect July 29.

Schools in Hispanic areas report unusual drops in enrollment. The Balsz Elementary School District is 75% Hispanic, and within a month of the law's passage, the parents o
(visit the link for the full news article)

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

So it seems that the law is working before it even goes into effect. However, legal citizens are leaving the state, I'm sure, because of the whole 'racial profiling' scare, even though provisions are there to prevent it.

It's also interesting to note that businesses are having to close because they can't afford (or choose not to lose profit) higher wages.

If all states adopted this kind of system, the legal citizens wouldn't have anywhere to hide except back home, and the legal citizens would be forced to stay or, again, go back to Mexico. And businesses would be forced to increase wages (or outsource, but I don't think you can outsource fast-food jobs, installation jobs, etc.).

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+35 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Be nice to be able to find a part time job, and not have to know frikking Spanish just to be ABLE to get a job (no habla, no workie). I can barely get thru English most of the time! Learning another language is a horrible struggle for me. Also nice to not have to wade past people who are here illegally and can get jobs, money, fancy cars, drive, get away with crimes....

Anyone here legally- have at it. I have no problem with you (unless you're a jerk, then, my problem is ONLY with you, not your race.)

+24 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This is exactly what we had hoped for.

The chances of actually getting caught are one in a million, but the fear of getting caught gives rise to compliance with the law, and they leave - good luck Nevada and New Mexico (California can go hang).

If the numbers leaving become statistically significant (and not just "USA Today" signficant) - then the effect on crime levels will be interesting to see.

With 20% of my local county's jail filled with illegals who have committed a serious crime, we are expecting a reduction in the crime stats. This is a personal observation, nothing more, but my wife runs yard sales to raise money for charity, and when they see a truck full of "non locals" pull up they know that items will start going into pockets unpaid. That's simply how it is down here, we call it the Tijuana Express - if your stuff isn't nailed down in Phoenix, it makes like a goose and heads south for the winter.

Petty theft and DUI are the 2 biggest problems we face, the first is only a nuisance but the second is costing lives, and a little talked about fact is that in the latino culture, men who drive while heavily intoxicated are generally admired for doing so.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Both legal and illegals leaving?

I'd say it's probably 2% legal who are doing it morally, and 98% illegals!

+21 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

I went to school in Phoenix and when my buddies and I got there, we made the mistake of buying Honda's for good gas mileage...

One of my roommate's cars was an old flip up headlight Accord, and it was gone one morning. About a week later, he saw it at the Circle K on the corner. He got out and stood next to the payphone and waited for the people to come out. It was 2 hispanic girls, he said they couldn't have been older than 18, and he walked up and said "I'm taking my car back". They looked up at him, he's huge, and looked like they saw a ghost and started running. He got in and drove home calling 911 telling him that he did their job and not to pull him over as his car wasn't stolen anymore, that he recovered it! lol

My other roomate bought an old CRX and after the last incident, about a month into being down there, put kill switches in all over the car so you had to turn them on or there was no power to the ignition coil. So even if you tried to push start it, it wouldn't start.

This meant that about once a month, we'd go outside to go to school and find his car pushed to the end of the parking lot with the door open. As they tried to hotwire it, then tired to push start it, and then left it.

However, it was better than never seeing it again!

There was also a neighbor in the complex who had a crotch rocket street bike who literally chained it to the parking structure... Still stolen!

AND, we had a guy who confronted KIDS who were breaking into his car, and they had a SAWED OFF SHOTGUN full of birdshot and practically shot his face off from about 10 ft away as he was running up to them. They never got caught.

You are 100% right, down there is F%&*^#G crazy!

+22 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
This is exactly what we had hoped for.

The chances of actually getting caught are one in a million, but the fear of getting caught gives rise to compliance with the law, and they leave - good luck Nevada and New Mexico (California can go hang).

Good luck Nevada is right!

Currently, when you call the courthouse in Carson City (capital of the state), the voice response actually tells callers to press one for English and then continues on in spanish - because of the demographics of the people making most of the calls to the courthouse.

Understand what this means - that most of the people with courthouse business (being on trial, paying fines, etc.) speak spanish as their first language.

Still think illegal immigrants aren't a big part of the crime problems in America?

+12 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Sounds like the law is working even before is officially starts. Illegals are leaving? good.

I doubt many legal hispanic residents are leaving, only the ones making money on the illegals.

+50 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I welcome a law like this in Nevada. As a Hispanic immigrant who didn't run, jump, or swim my way in, I am tired of feeling like a chump for actually obeying the law.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by projectvxn]

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I think that's what really most people's problem is.

They are living the American dream and not paying for it like the rest of us.

We welcome everyone, just don't jump our boarders!

[edit on 9-6-2010 by At0mZer0]

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with this at all!

Now we just need the other 48 states to follow suit. (No chance in hell of it ever happening in California)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

worried Hispanics — both legal and illegal — are leaving the state in anticipation of the law, which will go into effect July 29.

So the legal Hispanics are taking their illegal parents and cousins. Remember if two illegals have a child in the US that child is a legal citizen.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
Sounds like the law is working even before is officially starts. Illegals are leaving? good.

It's only good if they don't come east. Let them all go to California where they'll be welcome with open arms and I mean hugs and kisses from them.

I'd like for the border patrols to open up their arms on the illegals only initially fire warning shots.

Gone forever are the good ole days when aliens where little green men from Mars.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I cannot wait for more states to get these laws. They are proposing it here and I welcome it. It is not as if it is any different from other books on the law already, this just gives the state the right to do the job not being done.

As far as the scare tactics go of racial profiling all I can say is do not commit crimes and you will not have to worry about being asked for “your papers”.

I agree with the above sentiment that the majority are most likely illegal. I still stand by AZ on this move.

Raist

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I assume a significant number of these illegals are employed. Surely their employers are alerted to their status by a lack of social security number (assuming they do not provide a false one) and are therefore complicit in encouraging the breach of immigration law? Are they not liable to prosecution?

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Looks like Arizona's law is doing what it was intended to do

I'm guessing that the majority of the ones running are illegals, or the legals that support them. If that's the case, good riddance. Hopefully they'll all run to the open arms of the bleeding hearts in California. Then we'll see how long it is before they eat their own words, or start losing all of their legal citizens.

I only wish that Chicago would adopt this law, I'm sick of all the illegals coming here and breaking the laws that I have to abide by.

+12 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You are not a chump, and you should never feel like one.

You are an honorable person. Having integrity is something to be proud of

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by At0mZer0

It's funny how those of us like yourself who have actually lived in Arizona embrace this new law like it's our last hope. Great stories by the way.

But those who live in cloistered little villages in New Hampshire think it's a dastardly and wicked thing.

I say screw San Fran, screw Austin, screw San Jose, and screw all the groups who are boycotting Arizona - your pathetic attempts to coerce us into submission don't even come close to the good that this new law will do in terms of our safety and quality of life. Not even close.

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

...Less illegals crowding schools, hospitals, unemployment lines..

You know what would be incredibly ironic, is if passing the legislation and the exodus of illegals improves the fiscal outlook of the state.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
reply to post by At0mZer0

It's funny how those of us like yourself who have actually lived in Arizona embrace this new law like it's our last hope. Great stories by the way.

But those who live in cloistered little villages in New Hampshire think it's a dastardly and wicked thing.

I say screw San Fran, screw Austin, screw San Jose, and screw all the groups who are boycotting Arizona - your pathetic attempts to coerce us into submission don't even come close to the good that this new law will do in terms of our safety and quality of life. Not even close.

That's a little strong surely? They are entitled to their point of view. As I asked in my previous post, are there no sanctions against employers who take on illegals with no SSN?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join