It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masdar: The Zero Carbon, Zero Waste City of the Future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Masdar: The Zero Carbon, Zero Waste City of the Future

www.environmentalgraffiti.com

An extraordinary ecological city of the future is being built in the United Arab Emirates, outside of the capital Abu Dhabi. The work force will soon reach 40,000. Situated in the desert, Masdar is a small city that will be 6 square kilometers (2.3 m2). It is designed to house 40,000 people, 1500 businesses and accommodate up to 50,000 commuters. The blazing sun, the ultimate clean power source will power the city. Masdar's solar farm, which is the largest in the Middle East, is already built. No skyscrapers or cars will be allowed and the streets are designed for pedestrians. Boundary walls
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Hey Ats.

Masdar, our future maybe? I think it will be something like that.
After watching zeitgeist with the venus project i was very intriged with how beautifull the future can be while leaving no problems for mother Earth.

Very cool to see such a plan is now realized.
Cant wait to hear youre thoughts on this.

To go to the venus project's site.
www.thevenusproject.com...

www.environmentalgraffiti.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Vincent84]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vincent84

Gee- and I wonder who will get to live there. The workers? Hell no. Families who struggle? Are you kidding me?

The ONLY ones who will enjoy this will be the R I C H.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

It's not only the rich who can benefit and support this movement. The more exposure, it gets the cheaper and more accessible it will become.

solarcity.com...

Elon Musk is trying to do something similar in the states, it just seems it needs to spread more.

I'd seriously consider this if it was available in Canada.

everything needs to start somewhere

[edit on 9-6-2010 by starstrings]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
reply to post by Vincent84

Gee- and I wonder who will get to live there. The workers? Hell no. Families who struggle? Are you kidding me?

The ONLY ones who will enjoy this will be the R I C H.

Sad isn't it? And most of them will stay at their homes in that city only for a few weeks a year.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Zero Carbon?

Are they going to stop breathing?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Keep in mind that the United Arab Emirates has some of the WORST labor laws in the world. human right atrocities run rampant through the worker camps.

you can essentially build a sky scrapper in 1/4th of the time out there as you can in the western world. its easy to do when you make sure the workers arent allowed to eat and sleep very much.

The pictures are really cool looking, but they are still merely concepts.

lets not forget that public displays of affection like kissing and even holding hands will get you thrown in jail and in some cases, worse.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

How does this pertain to the op at all. Try focusing on the actual ideas being proposed rather than going in to anti arab rhetoric

Stop confusing the issue

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
"Zero carbon" ...

Don't forget that the carbon we put out by fossil fuels was part of the atmosphere in the first place.

If we are to believe the theories of how oil, gas, and coal are formed, then we must understand that the plants and/or animals that these fossil fuels are made of took up their carbon as carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, which is part of the life process of plants called photosynthesis.

Since it was part of the atmosphere before, and the world seemed to exist just fine back then, what harm would it to to re-release it to the atmosphere?

All the gloom-and-doom global warming crowd acts like we're generating this carbon out of nothing and dumping it into the air. No, folks.... it came FROM the air in the first place.

Carbon dioxide is not a pollutant, it is not a poison. It is plant fertilizer.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by starstrings

Actually, it is on topic. For what the workers are put thru, and the materials wasted by poor working conditions, deaths, accidents, ect- I wonder how 'carbon neutral' the site really can be.... Tho I am sure someone in an office there is equating 'cheap' with 'green'

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
there is another island in denmark with the same thing but all wind power and turning crops into fuel

[edit on 9-6-2010 by tegz_1]

new topics

top topics

join