It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another company quietly shipping jobs overseas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
There's been so much talk over the last couple of years about the need to keep jobs in America. All sorts of uproar has been directed at companies that are known to ship jobs out. So, given that everyone here in the U.S. is supposed to be looking out for our collective well-being you'd think companies would curtail this practice and keep the jobs here, no?

When the economy started to seriously hit the skids in 2007 my business of 5yrs began to suffer mightily. By 2009 it became apparent that I needed to find a regular job for my household's survival. I've been in a full-court-press job search for over 16mos now. And up until about two weeks ago I wasn't hearing from anyone to whom I'd applied.

My skillset/background is fairly rare and, at least when the economy is breathing, sought-after. Back when we had an economy I used to get calls from recruiters about one a week looking to steal me away from whatever it was I was doing at the time. So when I see a job posting that mirrors my background I know that the pool of qualified applicants will be relatively small compared to most openings.

During my job hunt I had applied to perhaps 6 different 'openings' posted by CVS/Caremark/Johnson & Johnson (they're intertwined) at a facility near where I live (not their retail stores). What surprised me, given the realtively unusual nature of my resume, was that I never got a call from them on any of the jobs for which I'd applied. No question I was emminently qualified but not even a call.

Yesterday, my wife had occasion to speak with a woman who just happened to have started working at that very same facility for CVS in their IT department. My wife mentioned how I was looking and had applied there and the woman told her that she is outraged to have learned that they are outsourcing most of the jobs overseas. She said she, and others there, were angry becuase of the need for jobs here and that all she got was 'finger pointing' as a response.

So there you have it kids. Yet another 'good corporate citizen' shipping jobs overseas while living off the fat of our land. What a country. There should be legislation that taxes corporations until they bleed for that portion of their earnings equal to the equivalent percentage of their outsourced jobs. Just MHO.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Hello,

I kinda wish you had a solid reference to back-up this claim. I'm totally on your side.

Literature/article would unveil the thievery these corporations are robbing us of.

I guess all we can do is protest outside their offices with signs that claim what is taking place, and being done under-handedly.

Sic Alex Jones or some activist org. on 'em.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
We can't have it all ways. People were screaming for change, and got it. I had a friend who had talked of how many companies were going to pull out and go to other companies, if Obama was elected due to tax and control issues. I don't know which, but, that was before the election

Companies do not care about you, they care about the company. If the government taxes the crap out of them, tells them the insurance they must buy, and makes it a hostile place for them to do business, they WILL go elsewhere

So, when people decide that the evil rich need to pay more, just understand that probably will equate to them finding a way not to decrease their profits and people losing their jobs.

I have never understood why people think that companies should WANT to make less money.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by llpoolej

Personally, I've never understood why people think that making money is the only thing a company should be thinking about or accomplishing. By that logic, why aren't drug cartels allowed to trade shares on Wall Street? They are pretty profitable from what I hear.

Companies are more than just money-making machines. They have resposibilities to the communities they extract money from, responsibilities they mostly shirk to the delight of their investors. What I would like to see is a requirement that at least 80% of a company's employees must be :

a. American citizens
b. be located within the US

and

c. that corporate headquarters are located within the US

for that company to be liscensed as an American company and be allowed to have government contracts.

If that cuts profits too much for the "investors", too bad: get a job and be productive if you want more money.

Come to think of it, requiring "investors" to have a real job, i.e., one that produces a tangible and useful product, wouldn't be such a bad idea. No one should live off investments alone, without contributing to the society they imbed themselves in.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by apacheman]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well, people put their *values* on a company, the government takes more than their fair share and they leave. People are out jobs and wonder why. YOU think they should give back, but, personally, I'd just rather see them there to make jobs. I don't really care beyond that.

Its going to get worse because more taxes are on the table and the ones who make the jobs are most targeted.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Anyone remember Ross Perot? Good ol' Ross warned the American people many years ago about the "giant sucking sound" of jobs being shipped overseas because of NAFTA. The American voter failed to take action, and now that "giant sucking sound" is all to loud, and all too clear.

I, too, have applied for countless jobs that I am more than qualified for, and never received a phone call for an interview. Most of the time, I attribute it to the incompetency of the HR department, and the fact that my resume is essentially a "cold call".

Either the job posting is not legitimate, or there are too many applicants for the position and the HR department is overwhelmed. Pardon me for being frank, but most of the people I have spoken to in HR departments are clueless, incompetent idiots that don't have any idea how to place people for a job opening.

Heck, half of them cannot even read a resume, let alone understand it. HR recruiters make blanket, ridiculous assumptions based on a resume's content, without carefully examining the content and understanding how it applies to the job in question. They are too stupid and ignorant to understand because they don't actively work at the job itself.

A lot of companies have turned to extensive phone screening before even granting a face-to-face interview. Ridiculous.

I am basically convinced that you either have to start your own business, go back to school and study a highly technical field in high demand (nursing, accounting, etc.), or simply conserve your financial resources and wait for this recession to blow over.

The bottom line is that very, very few companies are hiring. They are slashing budgets, laying people off, downsizing, or going out of business. They have a formal hiring freeze, and don't have any interest in hiring new workers.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

They will need to change corporate law first.

The primary function of a corporation is to make a profit for its share holders.

A corporation can move it's production overseas or a corporation and profit off slave labor wages or a corporation can stay domestic and follow Henry Ford's philosophy.

Either way can make a profit but the problem is going overseas makes a more tangible profit (although much less in the long run). If the corporation refuses to move staff overseas and be responsible to its home country, all it takes is one shareholder to file a lawsuit claiming the corporation isn't doing its job.

So the double suck is that in most situations, a company is legally required to move overseas, whether it wants to or not.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Try health care companies starting very soon the health care is going to have a big make over in preparation for the HCR.

This will open jobs at all state level.

new topics

top topics

join