It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aquino son wins power in Philippines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Aquino son wins power in Philippines

edition.cnn.com

"We are public servants," Aquino told CNN on Tuesday. "You're the public, you're the masters, you're the one with wants and needs that should be wanted and delivered. And we'll bring it back to that point."

That meant making it possible for people to improve their lives, he said.

"You want to level the playing field, giving everyone the chance to advance their status in life, the opportunities to improve their lot," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This is a strong message and one that the majority of the worlds governments have forgotten.

I hope that he stands true to his word and delivers.

It is an almost fresh breeze bowing in that brings hope to many.

I have spent time living in the Philippines and I know the conditions that many live in.
School lunches are a rarity for many. Crossing a road via a urine soaked footbridge filled with people who are disabled and begging for spare change is a sight and smell you don't forget in a hurry.

There are many issues that needs to be covered. Some of the ways of life there are illegal in many western countries, such as cock fighting. Stray dogs are sent to the crocodile farm if not claimed within three days..

The Philippines is a beautiful place but it gives you a stark reminder of the realities of life. realities that many westerners have long forgotten and need to be reminded of.

As much as many of us dislike or distrust our governments, I truly hope that President Aquino is the person to bring things around in the Philippines.

The Philippines is trying desperately to raise its head out of the deep corruption that has riddled the country for many a year.

Aquino has vowed to put the country's interests over any political motivations.

"I have the freedom to be able to decide what is best and good for our country rather to embark in political considerations," he said.

One of his priorities, he says, is fighting corruption in a country where most people, according to a recent survey by Transparency International, feel the previous government failed.

I think my next words are going to be a rarity for ATS, but...

Good luck President Aquino.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I don't mean to rain on this parade but...

To be honest I'm expecting the first broken promise, and it shouldn't be long.

Obama campaigned on the same platform of hope and change, and we know what happened with that.

But I guess 'the people' had to vote for someone, and better a liar than a screaming warmonger, I would have to choose

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

I understand your point.. and yes we have heard this sort of thing before, but not exactly in the manner where it seems he has listened or read the types of things we discuss here, such as the government should be afraid of us and not the other way around...

And for a man in his position, these are strong words of great courage considering his families history.. that and the fact that there are many rebels, with guns, ready to take a few pot shots at whoever they feel displeases them.

just going to the mall and your greeted by armed guards who search your bags and give you a pat down before you're allowed in to do your shopping.. so imagine the security on the banks etc.. You'll see all manner of guns strapped to guards in all sorts of places.

I wont forget this set of government vehicles coming up the road past me one afternoon.. closely followed by a low flying military helicopter fully loaded with armed men..

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This may be naive, but I'm going to believe in this guy. At least until he shows that he shouldn't be believed... (if that happens)

I wish him luck. Hopefully he will indeed help his country.

Thanks for the thread.

top topics

join