It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People still think the Earth is flat!(not what you expect)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by Pockets

You should edit the post title to Dumb
people still think the earth is flat...

I think the article makes a good point:

"Ninety-nine percent of all people think that of course the Earth is round, because they have learned it in school,"

So rather than "dumb people still think the earth is flat"...I think "indoctrinated people with no direct experience of it blindly accept that the earth is round because they've been told to believe it" would be more appropriate.

Why do you believe the earth is round? Have you seen it from space? Have you sailed all the way around? Have you observed the retrograde motion of other planets? No? Do you believe it simply because you've been told to believe it?

How does that make you smart?

QFT. That's exactly the point I was trying to get across.

I believe it's important to highlight because more and more people are parroting things they "learned" without really understanding them, without true knowledge.

It's really sad and I don't think its on purpose but schools everywhere are indoctrinating kids and not teaching them is the problem. I'm not coming at this from any political perspective because as illustrated people can be indoctrinated even with simple facts like this.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by thedarklingthrush]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I would love love love to see some of this information about the earth being flat besides "Thats what I know cause thats what I was taught". Ive heard of people saying NASA uses "trick lenses" in space, to not having "true knowledge" about earth...can someone back it up with science or is that the point? Is science not real?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The earth is round because I learned that in school. Now that I think about it, water would roll right off a beach ball! Therefore, the earth is now flat or some sort of container thereof.

Prove me wrong and show me a continuous video feed of the earth rotating on its axis from space.

[edit on 2010-6-14 by pikypiky]

<< 1   >>

join