It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanity evolved to cope with 30°C+ heat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
A group of researchers have found evidence that humanity evolved to survive in extreme temperatures, that may have even exceeded 35°C.

The cradle of humanity, according to most research, was the Turkana Basin in Kenya's Great Rift Valley. Today this is a terrifically hot and arid place, but some scientists have argued that during the Pliocene and Pleistocene eras, when humanity was making its first appearance in the area, it must have been cooler and/or more wooded.

But now a crew of researchers headed up by Benjamin Passey of Johns Hopkins University say this isn't so - the Turkana area has always been cruelly hot, generally above 30°C and sometimes above 35°C, for the whole time humanity has existed.

Source 1
Source 2

It's claimed that exposure to these extreme temperatures were the cause of traits such as walking upright, being very sweaty (compared to other animals) and shedding hair.

Over time, as we have expanded to other, cooler, parts of the Earth, our evolved hairlessness and sweating led to the development of clothing, and also the use of fire for warmth.

I believe this may give us some clues as to how we may survive/adapt during a period of global warming.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
That star shine is good for everything, mind, body and soul, who knows what energies we really absorb from the light.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I must be de-evolving then. the older I get the hairer i get.

but, yeah humans like any other organism are probably designed to deal with certain extremes

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Uh……. That is the most underwhelming news of the century.

I could have told you that people can tolerate 30C to 35C, and it would not have taken no study either.

That is just 87F to 95F. Heck, that was the temp outside a couple of days ago. And, considering that I don’t have an AC in the house, it was just as hot inside the house. And considering I am not dead, that means that evidently, the human body can stand such temperatures.

The real pain is when it gets over 100F. 37C to 40C. Then it gets miserable. It is more humid around here, so 100F is pretty hard to live with. But out in the arid states, like Arizona, with low humidity, 105F, or 40C doesn’t feel that bad.

I guess living in an air conditioned cube all your life can warp your perception of reality. Yes people, you won’t die if your air conditioner breaks.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Yea the florida swelter can be almost like you're wearing a wet coat of hot air, I love it though.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Could you cope with that extreme heat all day though? Running around, hunting, doing whatever it is that primitive man does?

Add the fact that you'd most likely be butt-naked too, no sunscreen, no sunglasses, and that area has very little trees to remain cool under.

'Uncomfortable' is an understatement in that situation.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pixus

Could you cope with that extreme heat all day though? Running around, hunting, doing whatever it is that primitive man does?

Add the fact that you'd most likely be butt-naked too, no sunscreen, no sunglasses, and that area has very little trees to remain cool under.

'Uncomfortable' is an understatement in that situation.

We would probably do as we do today.

Get out in the sun and hunt (mow grass with a push mower) for a quarter or half hour, then find shade to rest under to recuperate.

Just watch a mowing crew during their daily work. They will rotate through the day. One man pushes the push mower, while one uses the weed eater, while one rides the riding mower. After a certain time, they switch jobs. If it is real hot, they will take a rest break every 30 minutes and find some shade to hide in.

If you can’t find natural shade, then make your own.
During the hot days, your range is limited to an area around your shelter. During the night, is when you can move long distances.

The clothes we wear today, makes the situation worse.

The Native Americans put up with it just fine. And they lived in some of the hotter areas of the United States. Areas that gets far hotter than 40C. They built shelter, out of skins and under rock faces. They did fine.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Good point.

Still, the fact remains we evolved living in that heat. It probably would've been quite bad for a while, before we evolved more sweat glands, and still had lots of hair all over our bodies, like monkies.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
the bushmen of the kalahari know how to survive in temperatures that get up to 45°C.

while uncomfortable, im sure the human body would acclimate itself to some degree. although you would want to be moving around as little as possible around noon time.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yes, the ones that didn’t have the glands (ability to sweet) died off. So the only ones that survived are the ones that could sweet. That is a natural part of evolution.

In addition to my last post. Just look at the current highs predicted for tomorrow for the US. Through Texas, Oklahoma, and parts of Arizona. Highs coming close to 105F or 40C. And it isn’t even to the real hot part (dog days) of summer yet..

www.intellicast.com...

For our area, they are talking about 86F or so. About 30C.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I'm in Texas, and clearly recall working through the summer of hell when it was over 100 degrees for 68 days in a row
Some of those days were spent in an attic that was at least 120 degrees. Heck, my dad used to work in Saudi Arabia where the temperature is +120 in the day, and coolish at night! Yes, we can adapt quite well. Arguably better than any other species on the planet.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
When they make a big announcement out of something so mind numbingly stupid, it usually means one thing. They have an ulterior motive. I have been trying to think of possibilities…….

There is only one thing that comes to mind…..

If humans evolved to tolerate 30C to 35C temps……… Then there is no reason why we should want our air conditioners turned to a lower temp.

I can see it now. An official deceleration by the environmental community. The new mandated set point for air conditioners is 87F. If you set it any lower, then you are being an energy hog.

Our body has evolved to live with that temperature, so anything lower is unnecessary.

But do not fear, they will still want us to keep are heating thermostat set at 65F during the winter.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Yes, and they seek to do this for control of our soul !!

Come on now, if we can so easily handle it, then why not? We don't NEED to have our a/c to 72 or whatever. I run two fans 24/7 to save on electricity, and set my a/c to 79 if I even put it on at all.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixus

Didn't they get the memo of the Anunnaki that created us humans?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
When they make a big announcement out of something so mind numbingly stupid, it usually means one thing. They have an ulterior motive. I have been trying to think of possibilities…….
There is only one thing that comes to mind…..

If humans evolved to tolerate 30C to 35C temps……… Then there is no reason why we should want our air conditioners turned to a lower temp.

I can see it now. An official deceleration by the environmental community. The new mandated set point for air conditioners is 87F. If you set it any lower, then you are being an energy hog.

Our body has evolved to live with that temperature, so anything lower is unnecessary.

But do not fear, they will still want us to keep are heating thermostat set at 65F during the winter.

I think they are trying to disprove that humans are 200,000 years old and that they were not created by an advanced race. I got the same feeling you did.

top topics

join