It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Nasa scientists discover evidence 'that alien life exists on Saturn's moon'"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

"Nasa scientists discover evidence 'that alien life exists on Saturn's moon'"

www.telegrap h.co.uk

Evidence that life exists on Titan, one of Saturn’s biggest moons, appears to have been uncovered by Nasa scientists.

Researchers at the space agency believe they have discovered vital clues that appeared to indicate that primitive aliens could be living on the moon.

Data from Nasa's Cassini probe has analysed the complex chemistry on the surface of Titan, which experts say is the only moon around the planet to have a dense atmosphere.

They suggest that life forms may have been breathing in the planet’s atmosphere and also feeding on its surface’s fuel.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It would be great if we can send some kind of lander onto the planet to verify in the future. Who knows what kind of lifeforms inhabit these methane lakes, are their methane drinking "tree like" lifeforms on the planet? Who knows, I cant wait until we find out more information on this from Nasa as they make more discoveries about this strange and distant moon world!

Here is a link to the Cassini Equinox Mission website: saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

www.telegrap h.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
an amazing article and an amazing bit of news but the article is a bit sensationalized. The NASA report indicates that there are two prevailing theories for the conditions they found and one of those is the possible existence of primitive life or precursors to life. It doesn't say that there is life, just evidence that it might be there.

Still, amazing news and, hopefully, this will push NASA to investigate the conditions a bit further.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
If evidence can be found on titan, then the chances for Europa being inhabited would be greatly increased I would Imagine. I can not think of one single Extremophile here on earth that would like to hang out on Titan,

Im still on the fence about all life forms needing to be carbon based. Who knows, maybe in other galaxies organisms are based on silicone or any of the other 150+ elements.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Thanks for taking the time to summarise the article.

I think it is a very significant scientific find in terms of what we are observing, as according to a study that already existed, the data Nasa are taking from the Cassini mission shows two very distinct "chemical signatures", the signatures fulfill two important conditions necessary for "methane-based life." The rate in which hydrogen gas is disappearing on the surface, suggests to some scientists that there could be lifeforms breathing this hydrogen.

Worth a more closer look in a future mission I think.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Already posted elsewhere - also one of the threads was actually removed because the title (as you does) says that NASA have actually prooven that live exists on this moon
WRONG!! (not your fault it's the sloppy journalism) - they have mealy uncovered evidence that could point to that fact... Still great news tho.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

That's why I put the headline in quotation marks, but this is nothing new. I think if we are submitting news articles from mainstream sources then we should expect this type of headline and automatically dismiss it.

The Telegraph story does a good job in giving you the main article from the Nasa website which is very informative. It is a significant find, even though it isn't in fact definitive evidence, we are seeing what some scientists believe is a foot print being left behind by a methane based life form(s).

Here is the link to the full Nasa article (no spin): www.nasa.gov...

I guess you could interpret this as proof that life is on Titan, it just depends on how much weight you put behind the hypothesis put forward by an astro-biologist at the Nasa Ames Research Centre.

I feel as though some people on ATS would only care if it's a picture of a far out sci-fi grey alien in a spaceship floating above Titan. This stuff should be interesting if you have a passion for science, the regular kind like stuff published in New Scientist and other news journals.

No conspiracy here, sorry.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by IceColdPro]

new topics

top topics

join