It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First Post = Government's Manipulation Through Virus and Antivirus Software

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
i'll provide a short happening of events here to anyone who is interested, followed by my personal theory about this subject.

so, I heard recently that some woman from Europe made a sex tape and all but I have found no links to it which makes me sad

so i had the great idea of downloading kazaa from the internet, which just so happens to be "ad-supported." ("Ad-supported = full of spyware,etc)
So as soon as i typed in this woman's name (which is failing me now due to my habitual use of copy/paste and therefore non-use of my left-brain.. or is it right-brain?..) a huge EXE popped up and started executing and replacing all this # on my harddrive. i was like WTF

so an online pal of mine directed me to this site :
housecall.trendmicro.com...

WOW, i thought, what a cool idea.. to have an internet site so that you dont have to purchase an antivirus for your cpu!! thats awesome...

then i realized, through the vast disclaimers they provide, that they could infliltrate my entire pc, place any sort of trojan horse on my cpu that they could then not flag, etc...

our government could be releasing viruses just so we can run antiviruses that send back anything and everything on our pc's.. any and all communications through email or web postings could be tracked...

so thats my conspiracy theory!!! the only thing about it that freaks me out is that, unlike most conspiracy theories, this is a very probable possiblity. some people say that our government is behind most of the drug distribution in this country anyways, that the NWO controls the black market.

anyways just a thought.. carry on..

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Just as probable; Microsoft is starting viruses. What better way to sell newer versions of software. Frustration will line the customers up quicker than convenience.

More probable; Little punk kids are showing off.

Several days after Sasser emerged, acquaintances of the worm's suspected author contacted Microsoft officials in Germany and asked whether they'd be entitled to a reward if they handed over information on the worm's creator. Microsoft has established a multimillion-dollar fund to pay rewards to those who supply evidence leading to the conviction of a virus author, so officials told the informants they could receive up to $250,000.

After that, things moved quickly. Microsoft officials contacted German investigators as well as the FBI and told them what they knew. After interviewing the informants, officials moved in and arrested the teenager at his parents' home in Germany within 48 hours of the informants' first contact with Microsoft. By Friday, May 7, one week after Sasser first appeared, the teen was in custody.

Sasser Butthole.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by True_Reflection
our government could be releasing viruses just so we can run antiviruses that send back anything and everything on our pc's.. any and all communications through email or web postings could be tracked...

I really don't think that's the case. The government would be more interested in tracking where we go on the web rather than what's on our machines. Additionally, they would seek out a more covert way of capturing data than with a virus. Afterall, the users they would want to track are the same ones who keep their AV up to date. The last item is that the government would stay away from viruses because when they strart spreading, the volume ovewhelms the government's ability to track the data they really want.

I don't think Microsoft is part of any conspiracy either. Let's face it without viruses Microsoft would have to spend far less in development than they're currently spending. If anything, the holes in Microsoft systems probably slow the process for bringing new products to market which is counter to their goals.

The real problem seems to be a bunch of maladjusted adolescents who really need to get a life.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Just a heads-up,
securityresponse.symantec.com...
Also, they provide a free security check of your 'poota.
Scroll half way down, on the right you'll see check for security risks logo.
It can take a while depending on your cpu speed and connection.
I'm on 56k dial-up and takes 'bout 6mins.
Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
[edit on 17-6-2004 by Megalodon]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Most simple answer of all:

Get a Mac! The new OS has no known viruses written for it, and you can obtain a copy of the exact same firewall that the Chinese Military uses for free. Also Mac OS architecture is different so that it is not as prone to virus attack.

I have heard that Microsoft may have actually designed XP to be virus prone so that one would have to pay to get Longhorn when it comes out just to fix their current problems.

~Astral

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
DO NOT use kazaa. Use Kazaa Lite K++ V.2.4.3

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Astral City
Most simple answer of all: Get a Mac! ~Astral

Glad you said and that and not me

UNIX G4 Macs my friends

Sanc'.

[edit on 12-6-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
i totaly agree with true reflection. i think if the government could find out wat is on our computers it would really benefit them. that would allow them to get all kinds of information. it is a digital battle feild. i was infected with a number of new viruss from spyware. these are all very recent occurences. if the government is behind it then it is a very cunning monuver cuz they seem to have a good handle on how to give my computer a seizur.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Most internet traffic can be tracked by watching the border routers on the internet, these are the routers that string the internet together around the world and most packets get passed through them think of a gaint WAN. There are a limited number of these and there all owned by major ISPs, Corporations, and the Government. Besides its not that hard to track a person we all have a IP address that is bound to your MAC address on your NIC. Think of these as your address and zip code. If you do't no how to hide your IP address it is very easy to find a person. If you use P2P programs like Kazza your IP is visible to who ever your connected to at the time.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
If your getting hit by all of these things it's because you don't have your system secured properly and not running the right apps to keep you safe. Kazaa, last report that I heard showed about 40% of the files were infected with something.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   

so thats my conspiracy theory!!! the only thing about it that freaks me out is that, unlike most conspiracy theories, this is a very probable possiblity. some people say that our government is behind most of the drug distribution in this country anyways, that the NWO controls the black market.

Right on! I think that too, it helps the economy, and the government loves that! It is not on my priority list of conspiracies, but it's a good one.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Astral City
Most simple answer of all:

Get a Mac! The new OS has no known viruses written for it, and you can obtain a copy of the exact same firewall that the Chinese Military uses for free. Also Mac OS architecture is different so that it is not as prone to virus attack.

I have heard that Microsoft may have actually designed XP to be virus prone so that one would have to pay to get Longhorn when it comes out just to fix their current problems.

~Astral

This is correct - and therefore I don't think the goverment is creating viruses because why would they left Apple users out.
As well I would be more common sense if Microsoft would create a Virus for these (os) platforms but there are not doing it.
The only companies who are making money out of it are the Anit Virus software Companies

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   
What about the expense and resources to sift all that data?? It could cost alot of money to monitor everyones data.And why would they do that? When teh governement has probably got better trojans etc that the world knows about, they could just target people who are a threat to them. Seeing as internet came from military, im sure there are powerful programs the government has that we dont know about.

Microsoft just has to many flaws. The worm and virus writers get the flaw info from Ms when they make an alert, then count on people not downloading the fix in time before they get hit by a worm/virus.

its the snazzy GUI that causes the problem , makes pcs unstable and full of holes.Before the GUI got nicer, there was less risk with viruses and worms etc.And the software worked better.

Finally hackers etc are a threat to governments of the world and the NWO. read about the NWO board game, that the inventor of it hacked into some secret site and found classified info, and based some of his game on it. It includes terrorism and what looks like WTC blowing up..this game was released in 1995.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
It's more likely to be the anti-virus companies that create these viruses since they have more to gain from it. They also tend to give the viruses catchy names to enhance the publicity that they get and thus encouraging more people to go out and buy the latest AV software. And like other people have just motioned there are a lot easier and covert ways for the government to find out what your doing on the net just from knowing what ip address your using every time you log on. A lot of isp's keep a record of what IP they have assigned to you each time you go online. So I�m sure it wouldn�t be to difficult for our governments to use something like Echelon to track our ip and see where, when and what we�ve been up to online.

We�ve also seemed to have over looked the fact that there are loads of immature nerds out there with too much time on their hands, creating viruses and releasing them into the wild.

Just remember have a good firewall, AV installed and viruses and Trojans should be a thing of the past. Oh and common sense helps a lot.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthStrgnrThanFiction
Finally hackers etc are a threat to governments of the world and the NWO. read about the NWO board game, that the inventor of it hacked into some secret site and found classified info, and based some of his game on it. It includes terrorism and what looks like WTC blowing up..this game was released in 1995.

Where can I find a copy of this game? Sounds a damn sight more entertaining than monopoly or Trivial pursuits

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
To tell you the truth, I really do think that the gov infiltrates computers... or at least they may have software running that does it. I had a PDF file that I downloaded that was a 'leaked document' or something. There was a thread on this somewhere, and people started calling the number and getting calls back from the Intelligence Agency (?) saying not to call the number... which has been removed from any of the posts in the thread.

Anyways, this doc disappeared the other day, and I know I didn't delete it... my computer has been locking whenever I get online and I thought it was 'BearShare' (thanks for the K++ link! I've been all over internet hell and back looking for that since I last reloaded my system!). Well, I uninstalled BearShare and all of the components that were installed, and reverted any other files it modified to their original state... setup logs are really a nice thing. Anyways, I did all of that and still didn't help. It was acting like someone was hacking my firewall... it was strange. I haven't had anyone try to hack me since my days of warezing and warring on IRC with my good old mathmatically challenged 486 Cyrix...

So, the file has disappeared and my computer has not had any problems since. Yeah, I know I'll get the old "You probably had a virus" thing... I know what viruses are on my computer, and what they do.... I just don't want to reload my system until I get a DVD burner. It's hard to burn 14+GB of music recordings to disk (some of the files are roughly 2 GB each, recorded at 96khz/24bit). So, think of what happenned as you will, just don't call me a dummy. I suspect that they do things like this, but I don't know... I have my little bit of evidence, which doesn't amount to much, I know... but it may be something worth keeping an eye on, for sure.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

It's quite possible for the Government to release their own brands of viruses to see how protected they can be with future viruses etc. I think they would just do it to see how much their defences are up for any Internet threats and what kind of repercussions happen worldwide in business etc.

It's a good conspiracy theory. People believe the Governments Fund Terrorism and let it happen in their countries, so your theory is small compared to that.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
THANKS FOR THE KAZAA LINK, NOW ALL I NEED TO KNOW IS THAT EUROPEAN CHICKS NAME THAT WAS IN THE VIDEO AND IM BACK TO SQUARE ONE.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
FFS, that kazaa has a trojan on it lol. dont dl from it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join