It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Once Upon a Time in Afghanistan...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Record stores, Mad Men furniture, and pencil skirts -- when Kabul had rock 'n' roll, not rockets.

I happen to come upon this article which adds an excellent historical perspective which probably many of us were not aware. The powerful article takes a small peek in the golden history of Afghanistan which is quiet refreshing.

The article starts with the statement of British Defense Secretary Liam Fox calling Afghanistan a "a broken 13th-century country."

He is hardly the first person from west to label Afghanistan as medieval. Former Blackwater CEO Erik Prince recently described the country as inhabited by "barbarians" with "a 1200 A.D. mentality."

Many assume that's all Afghanistan has ever been -- an ungovernable land where chaos is carved into the hills. Given the images people see on TV and the headlines written about Afghanistan over the past three decades of war, many conclude the country never made it out of the Middle Ages.

But that couldn't have been more far from the truth. The author shares history of Afghanistan just how the country was mare 50-60yrs ago.

Original caption: "Kabul University students changing classes. Enrollment has doubled in last four years."

The physical campus of Kabul University, pictured here, does not look very different today. But the people do. In the 1950s and '60s, students wore Western-style clothing; young men and women interacted relatively freely. Today, women cover their heads and much of their bodies, even in Kabul. A half-century later, men and women inhabit much more separate worlds.

"Biology class, Kabul University."

In the 1950s and '60s, women were able to pursue professional careers in fields such as medicine. Today, schools that educate women are a target for violence, even more so than five or six years ago.

Plus more: See the article for details

I could not believe my eyes this really was Afghanistan just 50 years ago. I have never seen these pictures..I knew that Afghanistan was a progressing society but had no idea it was this much.

I hope peace comes to the region and Afghanistan gets back on the track.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Just look at the market stalls, overflowing with produce of every kind. In the early 70's there were even people who drove Ford Mustangs there. 2 invasions and an islamic revolution later and now it's a wasteland but for the highly productive poppy fields.
This could have been the fate of any country, their only fault was to be too close to Russia and Islamic fundamentalism. Once the Russians were gone the Taliban had free run of the country and cared nothing for culture, history of the rights of individuals.
The book "The Kite Runner" really gives a great overview of just how nice a country Afghanistan once was (and could be again perhaps).
In addition, I think the people there are strikingly handsome.

Just thought I would add that those soldiers are carrying WW2 vintage Russian weapons, mind you before the invasion.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Very nice, OP.

I've seen photo's of man-made gardens, with lovely fountains, and statues, also. All rubble now.

new topics

join