It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting the Chinese to Drink Like Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
US and EU companies are not targeting the more affluent populations in China and hook them on spirits.

Global giants like Pernod Ricard and Diageo are attempting to get a significant foothold in the market and convince Chinese consumers to upgrade their drinking habits to premium liquor.

So now the target is to get Chinese to become drinkers but of better quality spirits.

As China economic keeps growing is a big corporate interest into making them want better and higher quality goods, in this instance is alcoholic beverage

"In developing markets we see more people consuming international spirits verses local spirits as they become wealthier," Fennel said. "This trend has contributed to about a third of our growth between 2003 and 2009."

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
When you open the door of capitalism, and allow people to taste the spice of life...they will taste it all. And they will demand more...

Domestic sales of tobbacco in the US continue to decline. However, here in NC, after a decline in production...last year we actually increased production. Guess who the biggest importer was? China..

As their middle class grows, people want the niceties of life...and the "sins." They are going through what the US did after WWII....increased middle class = increased buying power =increased
consumption.

More cars, more refridgerators, more stereos, more TVs, more fatty foods, more Walmarts, more McDs, more cigarettes, more liquor...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

China is doing like US did after the industrial revolution, but in this time and age they are doing this faster and with more financial benefits.

I guess this may sound ban but it seems that with "progress" (capitalism and wealth) comes a desire for everything that can be "considered" a "sins" of the flesh.

I wonder how long before their communist government will put a stop to all that wealth related sin turns China into another EU and US.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Actually is a growing trend in China and Japan of surgeries to fix slanted eyes and make them more "western looking".

And beside is always contact lenses.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Alot of the winemakers have also been targeting the market in china due to the growing affluence of the chinese. Market for wine is expanding faster in asia than in western countries the past decade now.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Yes wine is something that goes well with dinners, hard liquor is just the drinking choice of most business deals and meetings.

But how about beer, I have not found anything about beer so far.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
A funny thing in all of this is that Asians and their bodies can't handle Alcohol as well as white Americans and Europeans.

Their bodies and genetics apparently have some problems breaking down the alcohol molecule.

They get really sick! - it's like poison to them!

(well to be fair, lol! it's poison for us as well - but they suffer even more)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The European beers are doing quite well here in asia from what I see.. (Am not a drinker) Heineken, Carlsburg and Guiness seem to be the top 3 see them everywhere..

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Thanks for the input, I know that some of the best beers are from EU so I guess is going to be a better market for the imported beer in Asian markets.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

It's called alcohol flush reaction and not all of them have it, but as much as 50% "suffer" from it.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 9-6-2010 by TheLaughingGod]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Oh great, if you think the Chinese can't drive now wait till they have a few drinks.

If the Chinese are able to drink like Americans, they will get plastered and do stupid things BUT they will not experience a hangover due to the lack of a certain enzyme.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod
reply to post by Chevalerous

It's called alcohol flush reaction and not all of them have it, but as much as 50% "suffer" from it.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 9-6-2010 by TheLaughingGod]

Thanks for the link!

Yeah! I remember this from my youngers years when I was living a short period in Asia - my mum & dad used occasionally to throw dinner-parties which sometimes included some heavy drinking at night in our home.

The day after most white Internationals were OK! but some of their Asian business friends who slept over were quite sick with heavy breathing, like they were about to die!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is what happens when countries get their hands on a decent chunk of dough. This is exactly why Americans are drunk, fat, and medicated.

And now, as the Chinese become more affluent, what do you know -- they are going the same route.

What were all of those complaints about it being solely an 'American' mentality and way of life?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
If the Chinese are able to drink like Americans, they will get plastered and do stupid things BUT they will not experience a hangover due to the lack of a certain enzyme.

Really? I have this recollection that some of them got really sick with very heavy hangovers the day after an insane drinking brawl.

(In comparison with the Europeans & Americans)

Maybe I'm wrong

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Interesting and very sad, that after the boom of a better life and more accessibility to better things in life will bring the downfall of one of the most incredible knowledge of all, ancient Chinese medicine. Once big pharma and health care insurance steps in with manufactured drugs and control the wisdom of ancient medicine will start to die.

top topics

join