It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever wondered what happens after the shuttle lands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Came across this on Universe today.
It certainly fills in the gaps.

NASA has released the first-ever up close video available for the public, taken from inside a space shuttle after landing, showing the checkout procedures and the "towback" to the Orbiter Processing Facility. It was taken on May 26, 2010 following shuttle Atlantis' landing following the STS-132 mission. Following every shuttle landing, about 150 trained workers assist the crew out and prepare the shuttle for towing atop a large diesel-driven tractor to the OPF. The video, which includes views of Atlantis' hatch opening and closing from the inside, shows United Space Alliance employees inside Atlantis' crew compartment working through an extensive checklist to "safe" the spacecraft for towback from Kennedy's Shuttle Landing Facility runway to Orbiter Processing Facility-1. Inside the facility, Atlantis will be prepared for the Launch On Need mission, in the unlikely event it is needed as a rescue spacecraft for the final planned shuttle flight, Endeavour's STS-134 mission.

I hope you enjoy

or

YouTube Link

Cheers MJ2

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I know exactly what happens after the shuttle lands.

They sneak the astro-nots back on board through a hatch hidden in the runway, then they make a big show of them stepping out the main hatch to smile for all the cameras.

Amazing the things they can do by remote control these days.

On a brighter note.. Great video.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I know exactly what happens after the shuttle lands.

They sneak the astro-nots back on board through a hatch hidden in the runway, then they make a big show of them stepping out the main hatch to smile for all the cameras.

Amazing the things they can do by remote control these days.

Do you actually believe this or is it sarcasm? I thought you were being sarcastic the first time I noticed you called them "astro-nots" but now it's entering "poe's law" territory.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Nice video, we get to see it just before the last few shuttle flights just as it's becoming obsolete.

Originally posted by ngchunter
Do you actually believe this or is it sarcasm? I thought you were being sarcastic the first time I noticed you called them "astro-nots" but now it's entering "poe's law" territory.

On any other site it would be sarcasm but on ATS, we have to ask.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Judging by the still, we've really let our astronauts go.

That's quite an astrogut.

N.A.S.A. must be dropping their standards (or caring less about $/kg).

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

I noticed that too, but fat is less dense then muscle!

Seriously though, I wondered if he might be an engineer or a technician rather than an astronaut? I wasn't sure.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

We should be more concerned with the mass of said engineer-technician-astronaut's brain rather than his belly.

He must be REALLY smart.....

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Thanks for the video.

There seems to be a lot of (what looks like) "Velcro" attachment points on the inside of that shuttle (all of those little grey squares?). I suppose those come in handy while on orbit.

Or, I suppose they could also be for the attachment of cover panels to protect the inside of the spacecraft when it's NOT in use. Does anyone here know?

[edit on 6/10/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

Great movie! The part were they get a nice ride back to the OPF is cool I wish I had gotten that ride!

S&F

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by theability
reply to post by majestictwo

Great movie! The part were they get a nice ride back to the OPF is cool I wish I had gotten that ride!

S&F

I wonder why we couldn't have been privy to seeing this previously - why now at the end of the shuttles life.

new topics

top topics

join