It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Innovation: Invisibility cloaks and how to use them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Innovation: Invisibility cloaks and how to use them

www.newscientist.com

Last year, physicists at the University of California, Berkeley, and Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, independently built optical-frequency cloaks. These were so-called carpet cloaks, made from silicon, which were placed over the object to be cloaked. The object created a bump in the carpet, but the carpet appears flat when light arriving from a specific direction reflects off the surface.

For now, such technology can cloak only objects with a surface area of a few square micrometres and a few hundred nanometres deep. But "in principle, you can make the [cloaked] object larger and l
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Advances in cloaking are due to improvements in metamaterials used to cover the surface of articles to be cloaked. These materials have slots to absorb light. Initially these slots were wider so that invisibility was only possible in the longer microwave frequencies.

As technology improves we are able to approach the light frequencies and in principle we should be able to achieve full cloaking.

The limitation is the ability to make superfine slots in materials. This ability is improving regularly just as our ability to produce smaller and smaller microchips for computers is improving. The ability to etch smaller and smaller circuits is very similar technology!

For now, such technology can cloak only objects with a surface area of a few square micrometres and a few hundred nanometres deep. But "in principle, you can make the [cloaked] object larger and larger", says Thomas Zentgraf,

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/6/10 by plumranch]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I don't know if you guys have seen the original Ghost In The Shell movie (1995, inspired the Matrix etc.) but I'm sure some geek developing this stuff stole the idea from the flick. The "invisibility cloak" plays a very memorable role in the movie. It has also many other elements considering consciousness, the definition of being human, "cybercrime", the dangers of AI etc etc.

It's a cyberpunk classic, and still looks gorgeous.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
I don't know if you guys have seen the original Ghost In The Shell movie (1995, inspired the Matrix etc.)

I don't know how "Ghost In the Shell" could be inspired by "The Matrix" when "Ghost In the Shell" is a full four years older than "The Matrix."

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by stalphos

Originally posted by Tryptych
I don't know if you guys have seen the original Ghost In The Shell movie (1995, inspired the Matrix etc.)

I don't know how "Ghost In the Shell" could be inspired by "The Matrix" when "Ghost In the Shell" is a full four years older than "The Matrix."

Read it again. He never said Ghost was inspired *by* the matrix.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by mishigas]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by stalphos

Uh yah that's what he said, ghost in the shell inspired the matrix.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
For those eager to experience the use of an invisibility cloak, might I suggest Team Fortress 2, spy class. Have fun.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Yeah, Ghost In The Shell was a wicked movie. They called it "Thermo Optic Camouflage". Been wondering when we would see it become a reality.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Michio Kaku gives a very good explanation of how invisibility happens in this Vidio, physics of invisibility. For further reading on the topic his book "Physics of the Impossible" is excellent.

new topics

top topics

join