It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The time traveller privacy policy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Here's a strange idea... Suppose that at some time in the future, a machine for viewing the past is invented. It doesn't matter if it's invented 20 years from now or 20,000 years.

Now people start using these machines to view the past; fine up to there. But what if they start viewing individual people at all times? Would you want some unknown person in the future to view your intimate moments? I know I wouldn't.

They could look at a lot of my life and that wouldn't bother me, but some moments are private and should remain that way.

I think there should be a law to prevent futuristic voyeurs to peer into our every moment. Sound silly? Probably is, but why chance it?

If proposed to governments, this idea would be laughed at, but perhaps, for this same reason, passing it off as amusement, it could be passed, although I doubt it.

Anyone have any ideas how we could protect our private lives? Website???

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I never thought of time traveling in that way before, but there is nothing that can be done about it.

So smile, tuck in your shirt and obey the rules!! And stop jerking off lol

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Le colonel; we are from the same province, I see. But I'm not sure nothing can be done about it.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Le Colonel
I never thought of time traveling in that way before, but there is nothing that can be done about it.

So smile, tuck in your shirt and obey the rules!! And stop jerking off lol

hahahahahaha, thats hilarious.

but in all seriousness i dont care what am i doing i dont want to anyone watching me, whether from the feature or the present. i value my privacy

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ajmusicmedia

Well to be blunt unless you are an extraordinary person now, or believe that will be you at some point in the future, I don't really think you should worry too much about it.

If you are that extraordinary person, or believe you will be, and worried about something in your past, then just try to live your life from now on, as if it was all being recorded for posterity, and act accordingly.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
that's how i learned of this forum.
i was given a mission to check out the internet of the past,
so here i am!

ajmusicmedia~ yes we did see that earlier.. perv!
and p.s.. "god" watches you do "that" to! lol

but we watch god in your time from our time,
he is not as evolved as he is in your time,
so he doesnt know we are watching him watch you, then..
only now, here...
you see?

from here it's all very clear , you'll see.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I'll ignore the "god watches" comments; no reason for this to be turned into a religious debate.

As for being an extraordinary person; how do you know you aren't? Perhaps your great granddaughter will be the next Marilyn Monroe, or your great-great grandson will be the next Hitler. People might want to find out why they became what they became.

Maybe you saved someone's life and that person is important to history, therefore, you are important.

Maybe your descendants will want to see where they came from?

Perhaps the labcoats who invent the thing will be pervs. Or some of them at least and they will pick you by random chance.

Point is, how do we protect our privacy?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

should be a law to prevent futuristic voyeurs

How would a law prevent it?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The modern theory of time travel states that you can't travel back further than when the first time machine is created, so i think were good.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This idea was explored extensively in "The Light of Other Days" by AC Clarke and Stephan Baxter. The use Casimir engines to make tiny wormholes to see into the past. That much is on the book flap you'll have to read it to find the rest.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Charge by the minute and get money from the future.

Is there still a second-line rule?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
Charge by the minute and get money from the future.

Is there still a second-line rule?

I like that idea, but if they pay you in future funds, that doesn't help...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
man, you can sleep at night because the reality is that

there are no evidences indicating even the possibility of time travel to the past

only to the future ... but even then, you wont be able to watch the future, you will go to the future if you travel at a very high speed ...

hawking said it, and I agree, no time travel to the past ...

---

if you are so worried about that, you should be worried you being in a video game and being broadcasted to another world, who knows ... I mean, crazy no? but I bet it is more possible than your theory of travel to the past

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Faiol]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedarklingthrush
This idea was explored extensively in "The Light of Other Days" by AC Clarke and Stephan Baxter. The use Casimir engines to make tiny wormholes to see into the past. That much is on the book flap you'll have to read it to find the rest.

It was explored in many other places too; it's an old theme in sci-fi; not my original thought.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket

should be a law to prevent futuristic voyeurs

How would a law prevent it?

A law would not prevent it, but it could help reduce the number of people who do it. Just like the idea of reading other people's mail is illegal. Some people do it anyway, but most of us don't.

Suppose some entertainment company sell your private life on a disc to bored people who just want to be someone else.

It would also prevent someone from making a film of your private moments and releasing it to the general public.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Relax! By the time the temporal voyeurs start laughing at you, you'll be long dead.
Arbitrary second line.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
man, you can sleep at night because the reality is that

there are no evidences indicating even the possibility of time travel to the past

only to the future ... but even then, you wont be able to watch the future, you will go to the future if you travel at a very high speed ...

hawking said it, and I agree, no time travel to the past ...

---

if you are so worried about that, you should be worried you being in a video game and being broadcasted to another world, who knows ... I mean, crazy no? but I bet it is more possible than your theory of travel to the past

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Faiol]

Sorry, but if you truly believe that we know all the workings of the universe, you are long gone on the wrong path.

Because the concept of time travel is not even properly understood should indicate that nobody knows if it works nor how it works.

If somebody has a camera looking at you from the future; there would be no indication of this.

And remember that Hawkings came up with the idea of black holes a long time ago. Now even he has doubts as to their existence.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Relax! By the time the temporal voyeurs start laughing at you, you'll be long dead.
Arbitrary second line.

That's not the point; I have private moments in my life (which are not necessarily the ones you think) and I would like these moments to remain truly private. If I didn't, I would do whatever it is I do in these moments in broad public. Or I'd get cameras and put everything on youtube.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The biggest problem is not the distant past but the here and now. Imagine spouses spying on their other partners every move if they dont trust them, let alone the government or police.

Have you ever commited a crime, no matter how small like speeding a few miles over the limit, they might just look back 10 or 20 years and send you out a pile of tickets.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Dragon12

But thats basic surveillance that you could do in your home, plant a camera in your house if your so paranoid. You don't need a time machine for it, I just don't understand how this really starting a discussion when we have no time machines invented only a flawed theory that if it works wont truly work ( its all based on saving a father in the past, so a man cant remember the name wants to invent a time machine to save his father. However if he goes to the past to save his dad then there will be no reason for an invention of the time machine). Now your second part does raise an interesting issue, but I'm sure that it would fall under the statue of limitations and not be allowed. It would also change the future and I would like to think that the police and government would be responsible enough to not screw around with the past

top topics

<<   2 >>

join