It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solution for oil clean up - Introducing Hydro-Weed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I got this crazy idea to use coal to soak up oil. The idea was to place coal between the shoreline and the partitions offshore. Anyway as I was just floating around this idea and search the web I come across the following website. I am not sure if this is a legitimate product, but the potential of it sounds like something that could be sprinkled directly on the oil spill and would float to the shore eventually preventing the oil from sticking to wildlife. Take a look, let me know what you all think

befreetech.com...

* Absorbs oil and other hydrocarbons while it rejects water!

* Absorbs 15 times as much hydrocarbon as the equivalent weight of clay, making it much more practical and less expensive!

* Completely safe and easy to use

* Dispose of Hydroweed in your Garden!

Made from a select type of peat moss, with processing that sterilizes the individual fibers and kills off insects, Hydro-Weed is a safe, environmentally friendly product.

Surprisingly it won't absorb water, and will not release the oil and other hydrocarbons that it absorbs so effectively, making it ideal for cleaning up any type of oil or chemical spill.

While peat moss is normally used in gardening to retain moisture around plant roots, Hydro-Weed differs in that it rejects water indefinitely, but instead locks up petroleum or chemicals and heavy metals, preventing them from leaking or washing out once they're absorbed.

Any type of hydrocarbon leak on the surface of water be it an ocean, lake, stream or river presents a danger of contamination to the water as well as all living creatures, vegetation and shore lines, but sprinkle Hydro-Weed on the top of the spill and it will be 'locked up' so that it cannot stick to any living creature, vegetation or shore line. It also prevents the chemical from sinking to the bottom once it is in its fiber.

A bird landing on the top of a spill treated with Hydro-Weed would simply take off again without a single drop of oil on its feathers.

One pound of Hydro-Weed will absorb eight to twelve times its weight in medium weight oil and that's fifteen times more than clay absorbers.

Hydro-Weed is non corrosive, non polluting and non toxic. It's completely safe and easy to use. Once the spill has been cleaned up, you can simply dispose of the Hydro-Weed by spreading it along a fence line or elsewhere for weed control. Nature will then provide the microbes who will eat the oil or chemical contained in it and the peat moss construction of the Hydro-Weed will benefit the soil just as any other peat moss would do.

Hydro-Weed is ideal for those living near a body of water, boat owners, and anyone else who regularly uses chemicals or encounters spills.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by ExPostFacto]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
Hydro-Weed is ideal for those living near a body of water, boat owners, and anyone else who regularly uses chemicals...

Hydro-weed?

Sorry I just absolutely couldn't resist the chuckle, or the obvious question which followed... Where can I get some?

Now that that's out of my system, looks like an interesting product, reminds me of the hay solution those guys came up with on Utube. Says you can dispose of it in your garden as it breaks down the oil, that sounds a hell of alot better than corexit.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I heard they were going to use Oxyclean.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by brocket99

You are kidding I hope? Although I wouldn't doubt it considering BP only wants to use dispersant.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Yeah very much like the hay solution. The active ingredient in the product is Moss. Very similar to hay I guess. Both float but his product seems far superior to hay. It can be used to fertilize afterwords and doesn't release the oil. Crazy. And BP probably wouldn't touch this product with a ten foot pole.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I'm digging this, no pun intended. I wish we'd go with a more natural way of cleaning this mess up.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MKultraVideos

Thanks for digging. I am amazed at the product if it really works the way described...the oil companies should be hauling barges of it out to the oil spill site and applying the material constantly.

new topics

top topics

join