It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Haley Barbour (R) Oil Spill Not That Big a Deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com...

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour (R) has been a man apart in his low-key response to the catastrophic oil leak still gushing in the Gulf of Mexico.

Barbour, a former Chairman of the Republican National Committee, has consistently insisted that pretty much every reaction to the spill has been an overreaction.

Barbour originally claimed several times that the spill "isn't anything like Exxon Valdez." (He was right, it's much worse.) He has appeared on television and gone out of his way to praise both BP and the government's efforts: "BP has never said no to any request," he told CNN, while "the federal government, whether it's the Coast Guard or whomever, has worked hard with us." And he has compared washed up oil to "caramel-colored mousse" and "toothpaste."

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Paradigm2012

Another case of a politician letting their ideology get in the way of their common sense.

Gov. Barbour just committed political suicide. When the impact statements are in on the spill; It will be a very big deal!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
This guy is a moron who does not want to get re-elected. At the very least if you echo the feelings of your constituents you will hold your own in popularity.. he's not even smart enough to do that!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by Paradigm2012

Another case of a politician letting their ideology get in the way of their common sense.

Gov. Barbour just committed political suicide. When the impact statements are in on the spill; It will be a very big deal!!!

Or another case of a politician letting his campaign funding or stocks (follow the $$$) get in the way of his constituents, state, region, and country.

Or, he knows something the rest of us don't know...red herring...

[edit on 8-6-2010 by sonjah1]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I caught him on TV, and he seems to be very concerned that if they stop all platform drilling that the companies will move those platforms to other places, and it will hurt our economy more (especially his constituency). His argument is that when they reposition those rigs, it will take years to get them back into the Gulf. There is some truth in what he is saying, but I am not sure if I agree with them continuing to allow drilling with one disaster already going on.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

join