It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil from leak on fire?? Possible?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

Great post! I had been thinking along those same lines. If one were to detonate a nuke that deep in the earth with so much oil and methane, it would indeed be cataclysmic (just like a major Yellowstone event). It would be a planet killer for sure. All that debris and black smoke would simulate a nuclear winter effect also. The most violent explosions occur when the initial explosion creates intense heat and pressure. It would be a devastating incident if millions or billions of barrels of oil and billions of gallons of methane were detonated under extreme pressure by an obliterating process of a nuke detonation. Scary stuff!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaTime

Great post! I had been thinking along those same lines. If one were to detonate a nuke that deep in the earth with so much oil and methane, it would indeed be cataclysmic (just like a major Yellowstone event). It would be a planet killer for sure.

It already is a cataclysmic event a nuke should have been used beside you are dropping it into a 14,000 -16,000 well bore (davy crocket package) I'm really depressed now because I have serious doubts that the relief wells will work.

I'm thinking about quitting school now and flying back to Kuwait so I can spend time with my family. If something really bad happens like well casing anything I may not be able to purchase a plane ticket. What's the point of education and spending all this time when BP opened up the seventh seal and probably doomed the world? BTW it is 100,000,000 barrels in Macondo reserve not 50 as I initially thought and that really is enough to destroy worlds Oceans.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeffrybinladen

Great post! I had been thinking along those same lines. If one were to detonate a nuke that deep in the earth with so much oil and methane, it would indeed be cataclysmic (just like a major Yellowstone event). It would be a planet killer for sure.

It already is a cataclysmic event a nuke should have been used beside you are dropping it into a 14,000 -16,000 well bore (davy crocket package) I'm really depressed now because I have serious doubts that the relief wells will work.

I'm thinking about quitting school now and flying back to Kuwait so I can spend time with my family. If something really bad happens like well casing anything I may not be able to purchase a plane ticket. What's the point of education and spending all this time when BP opened up the seventh seal and probably doomed the world? BTW it is 100,000,000 barrels in Macondo reserve not 50 as I initially thought and that really is enough to destroy worlds Oceans.

Absolutely it is already cataclysmic. Nuking it would, from what I can understand, a bad idea based on recent discoveries and objective science. I just posted that info in a new thread, so as not to disrupt this one. Here's the link to the thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit to add this]

So even at 100,000,000 barrels it calculates to over 450,000,000,000 gallons. Scary part is, the Gulf is what, 660,000,000,000 gallons of water?

[edit on 9-6-2010 by OuttaTime]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Absolutely it is already cataclysmic. Nuking it would, from what I can understand, a bad idea based on recent discoveries and objective science. I just posted that info in a new thread, so as not to disrupt this one. Here's the link to the thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I read this guy before and maybe he mistaking it for reserve next to Macondo which is Billions barrels not that it really matters. Since imho 100 million is enough. & yes well casing must be eroded so waiting until August when it's enlarging well diameter??? My god cementing it will never work see what I mean the flow will be so large blowing up the well shaft and RW cannot have enough pouring into it......nuke is only option we have now.

L@@K

davy crocket nuclear device

well drilled @ 14,000 and they have not even done this yet for a worst case scenario so it's probably too late! I don't want to hear how nuke wouldn't have worked and explosion would set off whole reserve NO it would squeeze it shut. But since no well was ever drilled I suppose it's over.

BP destroyed the world i really think that now!! I cannot believe we were destroyed by oil instead of nuclear, or meteor impact. All for the purpose of farming oil for stupid FF^&* cars and dirty energy....

also all those BP exec that were on rig celebrating safety plus the ones who lied about pressure readings causing Halliburton to screw the cement process should be in Jail!!! I don't care what reason Holder come up with say Homeland, they throw people into gitmo all the time with no trials and hold on suspected terrorism well that's what these people did.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by jeffrybinladen]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznor
it can't be fire...that would be impossible.

although the shot does appear like fire,

my guess would be lights behind the oil plume,
note the colour of this crude oil, it has a distinctive "orange" colour to it...so if you have strong lights behind it it would indeed glow a bright orange/red.

That's what I say.
Isn't it impossible for fire to 'breathe' underwater? Something's not making sense to me unless the laws of physics changed since I went to school (well, we know they did on Sept 11th so....anything is possible)

But really, how can fire/flames survive let alone, erupt, underwater? I don't get it?

[edit on 9-6-2010 by One Moment]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jeffrybinladen

The Davy Crocket is pretty much the old relative of the suitcase nukes. I still don't know about the effectiveness of it. Backdraft possibly? THAT would be a fire!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Moment

note the colour of this crude oil, it has a distinctive "orange" colour to it...so if you have strong lights behind it it would indeed glow a bright orange/red.

That's what I say.
Isn't it impossible for fire to 'breathe' underwater? Something's not making sense to me unless the laws of physics changed since I went to school (well, we know they did on Sept 11th so....anything is possible)

But really, how can fire/flames survive let alone, erupt, underwater? I don't get it?

easy we weld stuff under water all the time......add in benzene and now you have a torch....

not that it matters anymore, maybe if it is on fire it will blow up the whole reserve effectively killing the well.

urghhhh why isn't Obama seizing BP everyday my feelings get worse now. This happened in China these people would be shot can we have that? People who killed the world?? Or better yet have webcam where those Kamodo dragons live and let them deal with them. I would really enjoy that, even record it and watch over and over like a tv show.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

The Davy Crocket is pretty much the old relative of the suitcase nukes. I still don't know about the effectiveness of it. Backdraft possibly? THAT would be a fire!

I just use this as example of charge needed, obviously we need a special weapons package built, followed by heavy drill fluid up to say 9000. finished with cement. Not an engineer BP has plenty = Dr. Chu who can run calculations. So what have you is drill fluid cushioning blast and cement stopping blowback....and say 6 hour timer

AND WE SURE CANT ALLOW BP TO DO THIS WELL THEY CAN DRILL THE HOLE BUT DR CHU WOULD HAVE TO CONTINUALLY MONITOR THOSE PEOPLE BECAUSE SOME HOW OR OTHER THEY WOULD MESS THIS UP

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I just use this as example of charge needed, obviously we need a special weapons package built, followed by heavy drill fluid up to say 9000. finished with cement. Not an engineer BP has plenty = Dr. Chu who can run calculations. So what have you is drill fluid cushioning blast and cement stopping blowback....and say 6 hour timer

AND WE SURE CANT ALLOW BP TO DO THIS WELL THEY CAN DRILL THE HOLE BUT DR CHU WOULD HAVE TO CONTINUALLY MONITOR THOSE PEOPLE BECAUSE SOME HOW OR OTHER THEY WOULD MESS THIS UP

I'm with you on that one. It would be madness to use a 600kt yield to close it. My only concern is the 'what if' scenarios it may bring. Just like C4, you can drop a match on it and it won't detonate, but if you put a squib in it and blew the squib...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Moment

That's what I say.

easy we weld stuff under water all the time......add in benzene and now you have a torch....

not that it matters anymore, maybe if it is on fire it will blow up the whole reserve effectively killing the well.

urghhhh why isn't Obama seizing BP everyday my feelings get worse now. This happened in China these people would be shot can we have that? People who killed the world?? Or better yet have webcam where those Kamodo dragons live and let them deal with them. I would really enjoy that, even record it and watch over and over like a tv show.

This is like peeling a band aid off very slowly. Maybe its best if it does just blow up at this point! We're still going to suffer a scar either way!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I just looked at it now. I guess yesterday's viewing was giving the illusion of fire...I guess.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I wouldn't want a BP person within 100 ft of a nuke, touch it. handle or even look at it! SIGH somehow they would mess up the charge and accidentally light it off on the ocean floor and not in the well. Or even accidentally set it off right on the ship killing everyone in the area. These people have made 1 mistake after the other In every aspect of the whole disaster.

They remind me of a guy/girl during oral exam who blubber around and makes a mistake and tries to hide it. I don't even care about how great BP's Hive is with engineers. In Manhattan project America rightly choose a general to have organization and keep the scientists from falling into "nothing really happening" or "too many chiefs not enough indians" what the heck?

How many more mistakes/ 1 after the other and over and over again, never seen anything like this in my entire life.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I see a welding (looking) light on one of them. Are they welding somethig? I cant think of any other reason it would be on fire. If they are, then I hope it works. It makes more sense than what they have been trying so far. They have tried to fix stupid with stupid so many times now they have made a big stupid lasagna.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The oil flow is less dense. That is just the bright work lights, backlighting the oil.

If this would destroy the world, why is it that the natural seeps, that put far more oil than this into the earth oceans annually don't destroy the world?

Yes this is horrible but making it worse with paranoia and fear mongering won't help anything. Decisions made out of fear are always bad decisions.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
On the Skandi 1 feed right now there is still the large yellow column above the well head, but there is also a more orange coloured flame like thing coming out the side of what looks like a split in the pipework below the wellhead.

To me that definetly looks like flame.

Is it possible they are pumping oxygen down so that the leak will burn at the seabed in an attempt to stop less of it getting to the surface.

I don't know if that is a technique that would work, but how else do you get flames down there ?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Our government taking over control of businesses is the antithesis of what made our system so successful. Obama has already gone to far. The Bail Out failed, the take over of the Auto Industry failed and if he takes over oil it will fail. BP will simply stop doing business here, huge numbers of people will join the unemployed and we will give up even more freedoms on the road to the failed systems other countries employ. Why would we wish to go backwards and destroy ourselves like the Soviets did?

Money will fix this. The cost of this will force the Oil Industry to clean their own house. Yes, Obama should monitor to make sure BP pays its liabilities quickly and that they clean this up. That is the governments job. After the Valdez, nobody had to convince the oil companies to go to multiple hulls. The cost forced them to do it even thought the real cause was a drunk employee and nothing Exxon actually did.

Why people always think the government should or could fix everything is beyond me. That is a formula that always leads to a Dictator or a Pseudo-Dictator in a one party fake Democratic Government.

Response to disasters must be handled by cooler heads and not Partisan nonsense or the public's uneducated knee-jerk responses. I know you remember when the oil well fires were burning after the liberation of Kuwait from Sadam. The world is ending crowd said no way could we survive that. Then they disappear when they are wrong only to reappear to cause panic at the next event. What you don't see is the pockets being lined by creating the panic.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
The oil flow is less dense. That is just the bright work lights, backlighting the oil.

If this would destroy the world, why is it that the natural seeps, that put far more oil than this into the earth oceans annually don't destroy the world?

Yes this is horrible but making it worse with paranoia and fear mongering won't help anything. Decisions made out of fear are always bad decisions.

This is not natural seeps and fissures besides who calculates these seeps I need to see hard evidence and calculations, and proven amounts. Rough estimations don't work only facts backed up with data.

& you don't really ever have reports of L@@k over here we have huge seep in south china sea stuff like that! NOPE this is a real game change event.

I also don't believe relief well/s will work now and why should anyone, since everything BP does only makes it worse. They cut pipe increasing oil flow by 20% how do we know not 40% BP claims the amount can't be calculated so where does the figure of only 20% arise.... I'll tell you were it comes from. Some jerk pencil pushing engineer pulling a number out of the sky. Again how was this calculation arrived at???? No hard math involved or formula that I have seen.

L@@k at this thing 1/3 of the gulf is filled with oil and so much of it is under the surface lurking that how can anyone even calculate 1/3??? Look at the dive films and the oil snots floating under the water???? What about the Loop current where is the oil in that. Did Oil sneak through in plumes ready to jump up to surface or land on the coral reefs?

ADD this also why is it BP job cleanup offers require 40 hour hazmat training. I look into this for myself and GUESS WHAT probably 45 day class called Hazwopper you can take online but must score a 70%!!! So where is BP holding this class? In a MASH tent. Funny these beach workers pop up right away and still not wearing the right protective equipment! Probably don't even have web access or know how to use the internet otherwise they would be wearing 1/2 mask respirators!!! Look at all the health warnings in BLOGS! I almost guarantee if you randomly picked clean-up workers and Hazmat tested probably 90-100% failure rate... These people are entrenched on the beaches breathing this crud day in day out only a matter of time before hospitals are filled with them.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Okay now I can see flames again in the Skandi. Is it flames or the disperant. Either way I'm confused.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Those work-lights are likely extremely bright. Oil is translucent. The color of the oil is in the same range as flames from a wood fire. If that were gas burning you would see blue flames and cold lighting.

Probably Halogen lights which gives warm lighting. Mix that with oil being back lit you get what looks like flames.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

There would be no hard numbers on natural seeps to get for you. Estimates is all you find. I know the little tar balls wash up on Gulf Beaches all of the time.

As far as the workers cleaning up the tar balls, they would not need hazmat training as they are not dangerous to handle. No more dangerous than changing the oil in your car.

The other cleanup would of course require training and special equipment. BP would have to require that. If they did not train you and put you out to work, you would sue them. Our laws would require the training and if they don't comply the government would sue them or fine them also.

Don't let the political aspects of this draw you in. This is not the end of the world by any stretch. That's just paranoia.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join